Just had a former elder friend tell me, “This Overlapping generation is crap.

by John Aquila 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

a minute ago
    That was my first thought when I heard the overlapping generation doctrine-- "That's crap!" I was out one year later.
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

[Please bear with this post, it has a good ending ;) Thanks for your patience.]

“IF EVER THAT EVIL SLAVE . . .”

Jesus has placed the weightiest of responsibilities on the faithful and discreet slave—namely, overseeing the domestics and giving out spiritual food at the proper time. Jesus knew that those with greater responsibility have greater accountability. (Luke 12:48) Hence, he concluded his illustration about the faithful and discreet slave with a powerful warning.

Jesus warned about an evil slave who concludes in his heart that the master is delaying and who starts to beat his fellow slaves.

When the master arrives, said Jesus, he will punish that evil slave “with the greatest severity.”

Jesus did not say that he would appoint an evil slave. His words here are actually a warning directed to the faithful and discreet slave.

Notice that Jesus introduces the warning with the words “if ever.”

...The anointed brothers who together serve as the faithful slave recognize that they are accountable to the Master for the way they care for his domestics.

--------

10 Who, then, is the faithful and discreet slave?

In keeping with Jesus’ pattern of feeding many through the hands of a few, that slave is made up of a small group of anointed brothers who are directly involved in preparing and dispensing spiritual food during Christ’s presence.

Throughout the last days, the anointed brothers who make up the faithful slave have served together at headquarters. In recent decades, that slave has been closely identified with the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Note, however, that the word “slave” in Jesus’ illustration is singular, indicating that this is a composite slave.

The decisions of the Governing Body are thus made collectively.

www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20130715/who-is-faithful-discreet-slave/

@brandnew..

"Pops is actually saying , 'maybe another apostate has slipped into the gb'. "

Maybe remind your Dad of this article. If Jesus is soon to judge the Governing Body [faithful slave], and Jesus said that they would be 'punished with the greatest severity' if they did not remain faithful...

What may Jehovah feel if JW's like him have been following and obeying a group of 'apostates', an evil slave?

According to their own teaching in this Watchtower, Jesus said it was possible that they could become an evil slave. Why else would he provide such a warning, if it could not possibly happen?

Besides, all decisions on doctrine and teaching are made by the whole group. The whole Governing Body..

So he cannot blame this overlapping teaching, or any other issues he may have, on just one of them. They are all responsible.

They are all equally complicit in this 'overlapping generation' nonsense being taught as indisputable Bible truth to millions of people.

Note, however, that the word “slave” in Jesus’ illustration is singular, indicating that this is a composite slave.
    The decisions of the Governing Body are thus made collectively.

Furthermore, the overlapping generations teaching is the only remaining way to salvage their false prophecy:

Why AWAKE! Is Published ...Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away.

Therefore any Jehovahs Witness who doesn't believe this utterly ridiculous overlapping generation teaching.. has in fact, whether they realise it yet or not, admitted that the 'faithful slave' published a false prophecy.

(The above quote was printed in the Awake! from 1988- November 1995)

Deuteronomy 18:20-22

20 If any prophet presumptuously speaks a word in my name that I did not command him to speak..that prophet must die.

21 However, you may say in your heart: “How will we know that Jehovah has not spoken the word?”

22 When the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word is not fulfilled or does not come true, then Jehovah did not speak that word. The prophet spoke it presumptuously. You should not fear him.’

www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/books/deuteronomy/18/

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane
    DATA-DOG... Actually it was Ray's uncle Freddy who put pressure on the rest of the GB to fabricate charges against Ray, Chris, Nestor, Rene, etc...
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Saintbertholdt - "So they finally jumped the shark?"

As far as I'm concerned, they did that back in 2012 with the Sparlock / Deafsterbation double-tap.

That being said, they've sure seemed hell-bent on topping that combo every summer since.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

This page details the changes in the 1914 teaching. It shows all the years they printed the 1914 generation "Creator's promise" prophecy.

www.bible.ca/jw-1914-generation.htm

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

DATA-DOG 15 minutes ago
    We should be able to say,"No, Ray Franz was not an apostate. The GB of that time lied and DF'd him for disagreeing with them and for trying to fix some problems."

That's a good point DD. I will be using that next time I'm told Ray was an apostate.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Saintbertholt...

In fact, I think the ultimate WT jump-the-shark scenario would be if they bankrolled a high-concept, big-budget film adaptation of the Revelation Climax book.

• millie210
    millie210

I think the older ones are praising it for the obvious reasons..

The ones who see themselves as "stabilizers" in the congo are going to praise it out of it being part of their job description.

I dont think the younger ones give a fig and that is the part I dont understand....why doesnt the GB just let this die a natural death the way the 7th Day Adventists did with their 1844 doctrine.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

millie210

why doesnt the GB just let this die a natural death..?

See my above post.

They cannot let go of 1914 and admit it was wrong, they would be shown up as false prophets to any who have not yet seen it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

DOT,

Thats a great post, but I believe something is missing. The GB say that the "slave" is more accountable, but then they say the "evil slave" is hypothetical. Let's reason this through:

1) Jesus would never appoint an evil slave. Therefore, no past or present "slave" could be evil.

2) The GB could only be held accountable if they became evil, but it's hypothetical, according to the "slave."

3) Jesus even referring to an "evil slave" is rendered meaningless.

4) The GB/"slave" don't believe what Jesus said. They don't believe that they could ever fall from their positions.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit