Blame Canada!!

by gsx1138 29 Replies latest jw friends

• talley
    talley

How about including Perth, Australia, in your consideration.

Great weather, great beaches, good sized city, from what I have read.

• acsot
    acsot

Here's a plug for Montreal though you shouldn't move here unless you speak French. If you want manageable size, great public transportation, fantastic restaurants in every price range and in every style of food imaginable, great shopping (no one dresses better than French women), culture - theatre, opera, symphonic orchestras, chamber music, tons of free concerts in neighbourhood cultural centres, all of the above in walking distance, in fact, you can walk from Old Montreal to Chinatown (small) to downtown. If you love Paris-style bistros and sidewalk cafs, cycling along the canal, open-air markets, Jazz Festivals, Grand Prix racing, then Montreal is for you.

However, there has been a housing boom, construction everywhere and prices going up, still it's more affordable than Toronto or Vancouver.

At least come for a visit !!!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ascot - you described Montreal well and I miss it a lot. The festivals all spring summer and fall are awesome. There is so much to do regardless of age. I miss the Tour de l'ile which I used to do every year (a one-day 70 km bike ride around the city with 40,000 other cyclists)

But you really need to speak french to work there

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

LB..When you consider that I pay $535 a month for medical insurace .....Taxes can't be that much?

Snoozy.......

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

You may want to consider Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Big town of 125,000. We are nearing completion of a new 275 Milllion$, 375 bed hospital, that will serve the whole region.

It will have a new cancer centre attached, and will also be the site of a new "Teaching Hospital " in association with Lakehead University.

Both the Province of Ontario and the City of Thunder Bay have programs under way to recruit medical professionals for the new hospital.

No ocean, but the biggest freshwater lake in the world. Wonderful place if you are the outdoor's type.

Check us out: City of Thunder Bay www.city.thunder-bay.on.ca and the Thunder Bay Regional Hospital www.tbh.net

Good Luck!

• acsot
    acsot

LadyLee: Unfortunately due to Quebec's onerous language laws, officially "on paper" one needs to speak French to find suitable employment here in La Belle Province, but at work I rarely use French, although I am bilingual. Most clients (we're a large law firm) are big corporations so English is the language of choice, many are based in Ontario, New York, etc. So in theory, yes, but in practice, no. Stupid laws. But if you visit you'll find English spoken everywhere, people are a lot less nervous and tense these days, the threat of separation is practically non-existent, the economy's booming, and people are realizing us Anglos aren't such a bad bunch after all!

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Experience what ACSOT describes. Visit Montreal. Tour the medical facilities. Don't worry about the French. People move to Montral who don't speak English or French. Enjoy this great city!

• acsot
    acsot

I forgot a lot more stuff about Montreal - Tourists take note!

During our many summer festivals some of the main downtown streets are completely closed to traffic after rush hour and thousands (at times during the Jazz Festival there are 100,000 people at the free street concerts) of people descend on the various locations. Everything is very well organized, lots of medical personnel walking around just in case (it gets really hot in the summer, some people get dizzy, etc.), lots of unobtrusive security people, food stands and free whatever:

if it's the Jazz Festival, there are all kinds of bands playing for free - stages set up all over the place, even an area for kids to play, musicians from everywhere are in town. Then there are the paying venues with people like Diana Krall, Ray Charles, Tito Puentes, etc.

during the World Film Festival there are screenings in just about every theatre, plus huge screens are set up outside the concert hall with free film screenings every evening after 9:00 p.m.

during the Just for Laughs festival there are free skits, comedians, etc. besides the paying venues where Seinfeld or whoever are doing their thing

during the Grand Prix weekend a few streets are closed, music blaring and every Lamborghini and Maserati and Porsche are displayed, plus Rolls Royces (price tags displayed if you're in the market). Paul Newman and such like ones are fairly regular attendees at the Grand Prix.

Besides that there's Old Montreal, with artists doing their bit on the pedestrian-only cobblestone streets, as well as art galleries to stroll through. Cirque du Soleil is usually here once a year, then if it's raining there a whole underground shopping/theatre/restaurant complex which runs for blocks under the downtown core and connects many office buildings with the subway system.

There's also the Botanical Garden, second largest in the world (I believe Kew Gardens in England is the largest), or the Biodome (four different ecosystems represented, i.e. tropical rain forest, the Arctic, where you're nose-to-nose with several varieties of penguins, etc.).

Anyway you get my drift!

• meadow77
    meadow77

Watch out for the gansters up there!

• Sheralee
    Sheralee

bridgewater, nova scotia could really use some good doctors, it's beautiful here, crime rate is low, and compared to bc if you win the lottery you can buy more than a house, ha ha, but it's true

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit