Blame Canada!!

by gsx1138 29 Replies latest jw friends

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

My wife and I are starting to look into moving out of the U.S. We are looking at both Canada and Australia but are leaning to Canada. Keep in mind we are just starting to do research so we haven't delved too far in to the politics or locations in Canada. Does anyone have any location suggestions? I prefer to be near the Ocean, for spiritual reasons, and I'm a city type of person. However, I can deal with being a little ways away from any major city. Both of us will be in the medical field so are options for employment are usually pretty good.

• Kismet
    Kismet

For ocean and big city I would suggest Vancouver Island.

You are a short ferry ride to Vancouver and teh weather and scenery is anything but typically Canadian. Very moderate climate there.

The East Coast has its merits too. The people there are in general very friendly and down to earth. Good hearted real people, qualities which are rare to those of us who live in the city.

Of course Toronto is the centre of the universe ;) but we don't have the ocean, just a really big Lake.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

We live in Bremerton right now so Vancouver is about an hour drive and a short ferry run. That being said, I've never been there.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Yeah, Vancouver is my city of choice too, because they have clean air, 4 seasons, and the mountains and ocean right there together.

Now only to somehow convince the girlfriend. I'm fighting a loosing battle it seems for she's a native Californian. Hard to tear some people away from their roots!

I thought I was the only one thinking of moving out of country - glad to see others feel the same way.

Good luck to both of you.

-back2dafront

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Well I am Canadian and I am very proud of being a Canadian, but if I had the opportunity to move to Australia, I would go there. Please no Booing me!!

I have friends in Australia and they are fantastic, in fact most Aussies are really down to earth, they are never in a hurry. They take life in stride. The country is gorgeous. My friends live in Melbourne, Victoria, however if I had a chance I would chose somewhere along the Great Barrier Reef. I have a sister and bro in law who live in Brisbane, he teaches at the Univeresty of Brisbane, just apparently started. Before that they lived in Melbourne and before that New South Wales Flag Staff Hill. My niece and nephews live else where, but because the are JW's I don't know where. I have an aunt who keeps me informed as she is not a witness. She is my only communication as to the rest of the family. But my sister has shown me beatiful photos of the areas they lived in and I must say they are beautiful. I know that the money is based on the dollar system. Things are rough there but tell my what government doesn't have political problems.

I have never been to Vancouver so I can't say what its like. I am sure its beautiful as I have seen many pictures.

Medically Australia could use you. Vanacouver doesn't need you.

What ever you decide I wish you happiness and success always.

Love Orangefatcat.

• shera
    shera

I'm from the eastern coast of Nova Scotia,Canada,(halifax,dartmouth)while it is beautiful here,I'd say to move out west too.Nova Scotia has high taxes(15%),the gas is 84.4 (something like that)litre.If your a smoker it costs just about $10.00 for a pack....and more and more. I'd love to have the both of you neigbours...but vancover is better...

Here's a site if you would like to explore Halifax and Nova Scotia....

http://www.halifaxinfo.com/index.php

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Definitely the west - Vancouver Island is my preference

I love the scenery down east and well the cold here in Winnipeg is bone-chilling - -32 C tonight

And what ever you do stay away from Quebec (speaking as one who has been there for 32 years)

• orbison11
    orbison11

oh do come to british columbia, our premier, equal to your senator, just got busted for drunk driving in maui two days ago,,,such a politically fun province:)

• belbab
    belbab

My wife and I live on Vancouver Island. There are many good reasons to live here. The weather is quite mild year round, rarely see snow and if it does come it doesn't stay on the ground all winter. There is plenty of work in the health care field. Many doctors and nurses etc. retiring. and many elder people retire here.

If you want any other info feel free to e-mail me.

belbab

• Simon
    Simon

Calgary and surrounding area is nice. I have only ever visited though (yet)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit