Poll:

by Monster 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi! Monster, I have decided concerning those past beliefs,who is it that determines what beliefs are right and which ones are wrong?Many groups teach that they have the right belief.Wer'e those past belief distinctive?Beliefs in which no other group has?Some past beliefs that I thought were distinctive but are not are( No Trinity) wrong! Mormons,Moonies,The Way International,and others have that belief.(Wars)Wer'e the only ones against it.wrong! Mennonites,Moravians,Quakers,against it.(No blood transfusions)wrong!Christian Scientists, no blood also.(preaching the kingdom)wrong! Mormons, Born agains,Bible believing Churches preach it.(God's Organization)wrong! Roman Catholics,Unification Church and others believe they are God's Org.This enough for now ,I know you get the point.My point is ,that what I choose to believe as a past belief is a belief that was never DISTINCTIVE of the WT.in the first place.Blueblades

• Gopher
    Gopher

Monster,

No way would I ever go back to the JW's. Even if they reformed their disfellowshipping, child molestation reporting and blood-refusal practices.

Why? Because they're still run by a bunch of holier-than-thou nincompoops who would change things back on a whim.

I don't want any man or group of men deciding my spiritual destiny. Been there, done that.

• blackout
    blackout

Hi

I dont believe in any of it, I have a vague belief in god or a benevolent creator.

I recently had a great friend die, he was only 30, he was across the other side of the country, the night following the night after he died I awoke at about 3am and I could feel his presense in my room, he had come to say goodbye to me. So now I believe that the spirit or soul goes on, I dont know where,

but I do not believe god has on Org. on earth. Ive been out about 3 years, just considered inactive by the JW's though, I guess I'm still slowly 'Putting off the old personality and on with the new' LOL a whole new set of belief systems. To start with though I still believed everything they taught from the bible, I've shed it slowly like a skin.

• La Capra
    La Capra

OK OK, I know I am supposed to be studying for midterms but I can't resist.

What do I still hold true in my personal beliefs? There isn't any moral or ethic that still I cling to from my childhood in the JWs, that isn't represented in other religions or philosophies. The one biggy I can think of is the not believing in the Trinity. I think the hidden agenda in not having the trinity as a doctrine in the JWs is that this religion is really a Judaic Apologist cult, not a Christian cult. It was founded by a group of bible students who believed and taught that the Jews were still a "chosen" people. There are several hundred "rules" or "laws" that a Jew is supposed to follow. Nearly every single one of them has a matching rule in the JWs in one way or another. In fact, those laws are practically an outline for the JWs doctrine/practice/brainwashing. The fact that JWs have the New Testament too is somewhat of a joke. The whole idea of a resurrection came from the Jews, not Christianity. That there is a hope of spirit life after death is contrary to Orthodox Judaism, and how do the JWs get around it when it is such an important part of the New Testament? Make it limited to a small group of humans. There is mere lipservice to the whole concept of Christ's sacrifice and no acknowledgment of the real purpose of it-to free humans from sin AND release them from the Jewish covenant. The JWs have its adherents believe that even though they "say" Jesus paid the ransom, the underlying practice promotes a belief that Jesus was not really enough to satisfy the debt, and they still have to follow all these strict rules and practices "do or die". This is more typical of Orthodox and Conservative Judaism than any Christian sect which holds Jesus out as G-d and as high as anything...which then is enough to break the bonds of sin and bring salvation to mankind. It's not that I don't believe in the trinity-it's just that my faith and spirituality don't need it.

The biggest one I don't believe in is that they are they only religion that G-d accepts. As I have come to understand my own faith over the years, I have developed a strong belief that if G-d really did care whether we worshipped him in any particular way or with any particular group, he wouldn't make it such a coin toss as to what is brought to each person to decide. He is bigger, better and beyond all that. If it is Christ that helps you to have that spiritual relationship, then great. If it is a walk in a forest that does it, then great. If there is nothing that makes you feel spiritual, then that's great too. If you need him, he's there, if not he's OK with that too.

And if there is no G-d, then there is no one to be offended by going about it the wrong way anyway and all this incredible power, faith and spirituality a person can generate is an incredible human trait we have to bring a richness and fullness to our existence.

But that's just me. Shoshana

• termite 35
    termite 35

Hi there,

nice post

I hav'nt been involved in any religion since leaving. I did feel worried at first that I could'nt 'choose' a new one; but after a while I didn't feel the need or pull (or was that guilt?)

I like to think that I try to live by good principles; nowadays I just make sure I don't hurt anyone and i'm kind to children and small animals

If I am answerable to a god I hope he's not too disappointed at what he sees, and if Jesus does return, visibly, i'll have to believe, won't I ?!

It always seemed so odd that a god so desperate for 'all' to repent should make the religion of his choice so difficult to stay in...

The WTBS took away any of my desire for religion - ironic that, is'nt it ?

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest Monster... may you have peace!

Actually, there are a few things that JW's "teach" that are accurate (i.e., "you must love your neighbor as yourself", "learn war no more", "happy you are when...", etc.); however, their own practice... and application of who such things apply to... is WAY off.

Otherwise, there is in fact only ONE "belief" which they profess that is accurate:

My Father... the Holy One of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, whose name is JAH (Psalm 68:4)... of Armies... is NOT a "trinity".

Indeed, although Christ is "one" with God, by means of being IN UNION with Him IN SPIRIT (the way a man and woman become ONE by means of being IN UNION in the FLESH)... they are not the same individual, just as that man and woman are not the same individual, just as I am not the same individual as Christ, but am "one" with him, by means of being IN UNION with... IN THE SPIRIT. (Romans 8:9)

JAH... my Father... is the Father... the One who "begat"... or "brought to life/gave life to"... the Christ, the Son (the "begotten")... just as the Son... "begat" or gave "life"... to me... by means of holy spirit, so that I can call him "Eternal Father"... or the One who gave me life... eternally. The Father, however, can and did exist without the Son, but the Son cannot 'do a single thing'... without the Father (John 5:19), just as apart from Christ, I, Shelby... "can do nothing at all." (John 15:5)

This, of course, is not speaking of any mundane thing; I can certainly brush my teeth without Christ. However, I cannot do a single GOOD... or PERFECT... thing... separate from Christ, just as he could not do so separate from God. What 'good' or 'perfect' thing? The 'works' of faith that stem from having received the "gifts" of the spirit of God, holy spirit, which things are, in my case, "discerning inspired utterances" or hearing spirits (1 Cor. 12:10)... seeing into the spirit realm... as well as all acts done by me which originate in love, such as giving "gifts of mercy"... granting mercy... forgiving sins... and glorifying God and Christ. (Luke 6:37) For it is only by means of the Father and the Son that I myself can do such things (John 20:22,23), as in TRUTH, without them... there is nothing "good" in me (you'll have to trust me on that one...)

As regards the third "party" of the "trinity"... my Lord, the Son... the Holy Spirit... are one and the same, for the Holy Spirit (and not "holy spirit", which is the LIFE force, blood, semen, regenerative power, and 'water' of God)... is the spirit "of the TRUTH".

John 14:6 John 16:13 1 Cor. 15:45 1 Tim. 3:16

2 Cor. 3:17 - please note that the use of the name "Jehovah" here is in error, as the Greek states "Now, the LORD is the Spirit." But since the WTBTS has all but moved my Lord completely out of the way, in order to "climb up" AROUND him (John 10:1-8), rather than go THROUGH him... you understand why they made this change, can't you?)

Anyway, I have gone on and done my usual "wordy" thing; please forgive... and again, I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• meadow77
    meadow77

Hey Monster-How are you doing. IMO religion is bad, but that doesn't equal God is bad. Religion is man made, and God told us it is better to trust in him than man. The problem with religions or cults or whatever is that they usually mix just enough truth to be credible with a strange twisting of scripture and made made ideas. So you will find truth and doctrine that is correct in just about every religion. I am a christian and the thing is I do believe that one day I will be judged. I will have to answer for the things I did, with no elders, no org, no anybody behind me. I think churches are good for fellowship, and It's nice to have spiritual leaders that you could ask advice from if you need it. But those who want to offer unsolicited advice and root themselves in every aspect of your life should pay more attention to the verses about removing the plank from their own eye, before trying to pick the sliver from their brothers. The other big problem with religions like this, is that after they decieve people and teach them the wrong doctrine mixed with good doctrine, the dissenters often do have a hard time accepting anything different. I think we should all read our bibles and decided for ourselves if our teachings from church is in accordance. If it's not than we should move on from that church, not from God. I have a lot of doctrine issues with the JW's, but really my biggest prob with them is how they try to run everyones lives, and hold the organization beyond reproach. Their is no hiearchy in christianity, everyone is the same, and they should not be punished for independant thought.

• Mum
    Mum

I agree with the poster (forgot who it was) who said that living by certain moral precepts, which is common to all religions, is a belief I hold. I believe imperfection is inevitable; I can't conceive of a "perfect" world which would not be "imperfect" for the next person. If you can, please share your concept with me.

As for God and/or the Trinity, She/He is a mystery. If God were so easy to define/place in a box as the Watchtower makes Her, then She wouldn't be God.

Would I ever go back? I'm a WOMAN who has become accustomed to freedom of thought and action. Enough said.

Regards,

SandraC

• Mac
    Mac

I still believe that it's better to go for donuts and coffee than knock on strangers doors!

mac, of the this belief I hold onto class

• Brummie
    Brummie

I do not belief one iota of it, used to, but since leaving I find it hard to find anything true that they are remotely close to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit