POSITIVE: To Bill Bowen & SilentLambs

by Amazing 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Last Comments regarding Bill Bowen & Silent Lambs:

This is intended to be a positive treatment of the issue by pointing out some very useful things to Bill Bowen and the SilentLambs organization. I am staying clear of responding to Bill's last comments as to debating things he stated which are irrelevant and not accurate. The only negative item I will mention is that Bill's comments regarding Ray Franz by way of attacking Ray's character and misrepresenting his position was a major blunder ... especially if Bill truly intends to help the victims ... you don't score positive advancement by attacking your own team ... instead you focus on the opposition.

Having said that, let's give Bill Bowen the benefit of the doubt that he did not ""intend"" to needlessly harm Ray Franz's reputation, and that Bill possibly ""misunderstood"" Ray's comments regarding their discussions. Ray Franz, in his recent and only direct post on JWD, made some excellent comments that I believe Bill Bowen and SilentLambs organization might find it prudent to seize upon for the warmth and support that Ray offers ... and bring any differences that are perceived to exist to a screeching halt: Ref: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/search.asp?site=3

Here are some direct quotes of what Ray Franz stated, in the order they were given, that I have in mind from the above referenced post by Ray Franz:

"The fact that the Watch Tower Society distorts the purpose of that law principle referred to by Paul and Christ (which was to protect the innocent against a false accuser) does not justify ones distorting the meaning or intent of a quotation of that principle such as is found in the chapter of the manual referred to. As I have already expressed, I do not believe the Mosaic Law was designed to be rigid and "cut and dried."

Here Ray has made it clear that he believes that the Watch Tower Society distorts the purpose of the of the old law, and thereby the Society misapplies this as to how they handle child molestation cases ... Ray then cites a statement of Jesus that challenges the Jews as to exceptions to the old Law:

. . . "So it is lawful to do good on the sabbath." (Matthew 12:11, 12; in Luke 14:5 he refers to an ox falling into a well; obviously in both cases the extraction of the animal involved work, even heavy work, even though on the sabbath day.)"
    "What is here stated is in defense of the rightness of Gods law and the validity of citing its principles, not in defense of the misuse of that law by a religious system. One would have to be blind to the evidence of history not to realize the value of this principle contained in the Law and referred to by Paul."

Ray makes it very clear that his does not defend the m-i-s-u-s-e of the law. There is more ...

"As with other principles, this principle of the divine Law can be misused in a harmful way and this is evidently the case with Watch Tower policies regarding child molestation cases."

Ray clearly states that the Watch Tower is misusing a good Biblical principle, a principle used today in our civilian justice system to protect innocent people from false allegations. Clearly this statement could be used by SilentLambs to show how the Society is misusing things written in the Bible as testified to by a former Governing Body member.

Ray goes on to say:

"An organization's misuse or perversion of any part of that law is no basis for our viewing a particular principle as though something noxious and hurtful, so that the mere quoting of it can be seized upon as basis for tying one in with the perverters of its good and just principle. (This is known in the field of flawed argumentation and flawed logic as "tarring others with the same brush.")"

Ray is correct in stating this. His words regarding 'perversion' of the Law by an organization clearly is showing his view of how the Watch Tower Society misuses the Bible to the harm of innocent children ... a statement that should help SilentLambs. Ray went on to say:

"If some choose to engage in what might be termed a form of media-oriented, political activism to fight wrongdoing, that is their privilege. If the goal is the protection of the innocent it is a worthy goal."

Clearly, Ray honors the goal and method used by SilentLambs to seek justice for innocent victims of molestation. While Ray Franz does not choose the same method for his own efforts, he nevertheless honors those who do. Cannot SilentLambs see how Ray Franz has given a positive proactive statement that they can use as well? Ray then states his own attitude toward the crime of molestation:

"Of the many sexual crimes, child molestation is unquestionably one of the most despicable. Those who shield child molesters certainly bear a very heavy responsibility."

Ray Franz shares the view of how this crime is as evil as it gets and those shielding child molesters are in for a heavy accountability. This clearly acknowledges that leaders of any organization, including the Watch Tower, cannot be excused from being held responsible. This most positive statement should be most beneficial to SilentLambs in understanding that a former member of the Governing Body does not support the Watch Tower Society policies on child molestation as they are misused, misapplied, and harm children ... rather, that Ray Franz clearly sides with the innocent victims. Ray Franz remarks as to his own contribution in helping people get free of any system, including the Watch Tower Society where people have been subservient to a false system by saying:

"I wrote two books, Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom, and in these endeavored to help people realize that there is no Scriptural basis for subservience to any human religious organization and its decrees and humanly-originated policies; in both books emphasizing the crucial importance of a personal relationship with God and Christ, and the importance of being true to personal conscience and conviction. How anyone could read their contents and then seek to portray the author as a sympathizer with the Watch Tower organizations legalistic policies of whatever kind is difficult for me to understand ... "

While eliminating some context, I endeavored to stay true to the salient points made by Ray Franz in an effort to highlight those things that Bill Bowen and the SilentLambs organization can use to draw upon Ray Franz as an ally, and not an enemy. The all-important reasons given are to help the victims of molestation within the Watchtower system, and I cannot think of a better supporting set of statements than those published by Ray Franz ... True, the context was defending his position and clearing misrepresentations, but the overriding theme was to show that Watch Tower policy is wrong, and misuses the Bible and religion to the harm of innocent victims of molestation.

That said, this will be may last comment on the topic, unless I comment to clarify some additional misunderstanding, or in the event Ray Franz asks me to post again on his behalf. What I have stated above has not been discussed with Ray Franz. It is my own observations given the statements Ray Franz had me post on his behalf.

Edited by - Amazing on 5 November 2002 21:31:37

• nancee park
    nancee park

Look, there is NO Bowen-Franz break and any misunderstanding regarding them was already cleared up. So your posting is in error. Bill Bowen has done mountains of good work to help children and battered JW/exJW adults too. Enough.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Is there or isn't there a rift between Bill and Ray? I've always thought it was/is a sideshow, and hopefully it's played itself out by now... What month is it already?

It's almost starting to sound like a gossip column in here.

I hope we can "keep our eyes on the ball", that is -- the fact that people need information about / protection from / help out of -- the Watchtower form of religion.

• Amazing
    Amazing

NANCEE, There clearly has been a rift, and if you really read what I wrote, you would see it was to the benefit of SilentLambs.

Gopher: Likewise, if you read what I wrote, you would see it is to the benefit of SilentLambs.

• Valis
    Valis

Really nancee...you posted in your "Coincidence" thread that Bill Bowen had been attacked by many XJWs as if it were some organized attempt instead og Bill's unfortunate jackpot...This to me is just adding fuel to the fire so perhaps take some of your own advice and get off it! Amazing has done everyone a favor, where we may have only ever had one side of the sass that was perpetrated a week or so ago, but not so! You notice several key figures came to us w/their opinions, including Ray Franz, which is terribly important, even if it makes you squirm in your delusional Jah Christian kinda way....You are no more interested in the harmony of this board than I am of listening to people talk about hidden sound devices the WTBTS uses to make people think they are going crazy. How can you blame me?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Doesn't Forget" class

• Mulan
    Mulan

Amen, Jim.

Thanks for your post.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

I second that "amen"

Jim your just becoming to damn positive lately. Good job of seeing through the fog of dispute and showing the positives in this whole affair.

Danny

• Brummie
    Brummie

I really have stayed out of these threads and have no intention of ever getting into them again.. but couldn't Ray now get you to post something talking about another issue? Its all circular now and getting rather giddy. WHo cares if Ray in between the lines has supported Bill...is Ray great or what?

No matter how hard I try I really cant get a mental picture of Ray sitting in a corner weeping in a shivering heap because Bill Bowen said something out of line. Its my guess that he didnt lose an ounce of sleep! Why should anyone else? And for other big names in the exjw community to then come and gang up on a single guy is utter pathetic. And I would have said the same in defence of Ray had it been the other way round. People gain experience on how to choose words carefully when they write excellent books like COJ and JP have written, I guess the words where carefully chosen here too."Attack on Ray...unfortunate attack..." yada yada ...Crusades..yayaya...what image do these historians hope to strike up by using the word "Crusades" when reffering to the BB's support group? Its all semantics and just as Ray sent an inbetween the lines message here, so, it seems, do these authors. Out of one side of the mouth they endorse BB attempts to bring this abuse to the public eye and out the other they dont but persue a path of defence with words chosen that are as destructive as anything BB said to RF.

It was all done and dusted when Ray got Amazing to post the first letter, everyone ranted and then Bill posted a reply containing issues that no one had took into consideration when blasting him....

Who cares what Bill said to Ray anymore?...Is Bill great or what?

Bottom line, Both guys are doing a great job, whether that is reflected in their personalities or not!

IW and K007 - Over to you for another spin on the same ole worn out issue

Brum (who still appreciates everyones differing opinions even after venting)

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped
    It's almost starting to sound like a gossip column in here.

More like the National Enquirer.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Obviously, Undef'd, you did not read my post or you would have seen the "P-O-S-I-T-I-V-E" point made. It sounds like you saw a headline and decided it was negative.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit