How many of the 1.006 alleged abusers will be investigated by Police?

by Listener 20 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Listener
    Listener

The Commission has the names of 1,006 alleged abusers within Australian congregations since 1950. Some will have died and others will already have been prosecuted but the Branch did not report any of these allegations to Police.

The terms of reference for the Royal Commission is more about redress for the Victims but that can include criminal prosecution although they are more focused on financial compensation.

However, now that they have the names of 1,006 potential criminals there is some responsibility to see that they are dealt with criminally. It appears to be in their authority to have cases followed through by referring them for further investigation. This is clear because the Commissioner has recently reported that to date, they have done so in 493 cases identified within the scope of their Commission. Just to be clear, that is 493 cases overall and not confined to the JW religion.

It is quite possible that they are waiting until their final conclusions of the current case hearing of the JW religion before they recommend further investigation of JW individuals.

The fact remains that neither the organization or the individuals would know if or who will be investigated from the list of 1,006 individuals.

There is so much coming out of this commission but I am wondering what sort of effect this knowledge has on both the organization and accused abusers. It is going to affect the congregations and they will not be able to ignore it even though many are avoiding news reports.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    To me it seems counter-intuitive that all of the cases will not be investigated. Where a Pedo strikes once and gets away with it there's a good chance he'l do it again. Remember if they are not investigated at least, the Royal Commission would be just as guilty as the ones whom they are investigating now. Who knows where these investigations that are sure to happen will lead and what the fall out will be.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    If only 100 of those victims were to sue (and settle) then it could bankrupt the Watchtower regime in Australia.
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    I sure the Commission will be notifying everyone connected with the those legal cases from 1950 onward many are dead from the very early ones but the more recent ones from the 80's 90's to today those are the ones that need treatment and compensation I think the commission will reach a big number.
  • Listener
    Listener
    I agree Brokeback Watchtower, I am pretty confident the Commission will attempt to notify all those victims that they now have a record of but unfortunately they won't be able to overcome the mentality that many JWs have. Many may talk to their elders about it and will be reminded about all their obligations as a JW, that is, keeping Jehovah's name clean, relying on Jehovah alone to make matters right, to rely on the support of the elders in comforting them, not taking a Brother before the higher authorities and the harm in seeking compensation from the organization as being counter productive, selfish, litigious and worldly. We'll see a re-emphasis of this in upcoming talks and publications.
  • Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

The purpose of the Royal Commission is to analyze and make a comprehensive report on how child abuse has been handled on the whole by various institutions ranging from religious and recreational establishments through to schools etc. in order to establish how best to prevent, and/or handle child abuse in the future. In their own words: "Drawing upon the experience of individuals and the investigation of systemic issues, we are required to make recommendations that will provide a just response for people who have been sexually abused and ensure institutions achieve best practice in protecting children in the future".

http://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/about-us/our-reports/interim-report-volume-1-final-020714_lr_web

The purpose of this particular investigation into Jehovah's Witnesses is not to single them out and punish them, but as with the previous investigations of other institutions (so far there have been 29 case studies) it is to identify a weakness and put in place an effective remedy, (just as with all the other institutions). The Australian government has obviously identified a great need as regards the handling of child molestation issues across the whole board. I am sure you are all aware that the problem of abuse has been going on since the beginning of civilization, globally affecting all societies, but only in the last 30 or so years has it begun to get addressed properly. The need for this report itself though highlights that finding a solution has not even reached the tip of the iceberg yet. And of course once found, no solution will be truly perfect.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are not unique, they are plagued by the same diseases, same worries, same societal issues as everyone else on this planet. This of course includes the societal disease of child molestation. A spiritual paradise does not ensure a trouble free life as all persons are affected by imperfection and the consequences of it. In the cases of child sexual abuse the factors are very complex for all establishments and societies and each case is unique and cannot be put into one basket. Even the fact that a child offender goes behind bars for a few years does not guarantee a permanent solution because the possibility exists that he will re-offend. ...

I have no doubts though that whatever the Australian Commission decides in the way of policies, recommendations and practices to protect children, Jehovah’s Witnesses will be more than happy to comply with them.

• Listener
    Listener

They've demonstrated to a great degree that they are ready and willing to comply by supplying them with the Documents that they have. I don't doubt that they will comply with the Commissions findings at the conclusion but I wouldn't go as far as saying that they will be happy to do so. The whole situation is a severe blow to them.

It will be interesting to see how the Brnach Office Witnesses deal with the questions and suggestions posed to them in future days. The question of compensation will be put forward to them, I doubt that they will go beyond saying that they are willing to accept the findings of the RC and will comply with them.

The RC is considering various options on how Victims should be compensated. Their questioning would appear to discover how willing organizations are prepared to directly compensate victims. The RC has explained that any system of compensation that is established should not mean that any organization is liable for mishandling cases and simply recognize that victims do need financial assistance.

The worst case scenario is that the Government would have to foot the bill themselves and find ways in order to raise that money which will be billions of dollars. The RC have mentioned that organization may be required to contribute to a Compensation Fund set up by the Government. Another option they have mentioned is that the organizations directly contribute towards the financial redress of individuals directly.

Personally, I think the only way to go is to require the organizations to directly contribute to a Compensation Fund on the basis of X amount of dollars per victim (and degree of abuse) within their organization. This will allow victims to apply to the Government for redress rather than directly to their own organization, which many, for one reason or another will be reluctant to do. Unfortunately this will impose a heavy financial burden on the Government as many organizations will claim that they either cannot afford it.

But as this is mainly what the RC is about, they will endeavour to come up with the most effective method of compensation without burdening the Government.

If they get it right, the eyes of the World are watching and we will see similar Compensation Funds set up in other courtries. It's pretty much like a test case.

Bottom line is, it is likely to cost the Organization a lot of money and as you point out Nitty Gritty their are many other organizations that this will affect also.

I can't help but wonder if this is the way we are going to see religions dissolve, by being bankrupted and by their followers seeing that their money isn't being used for religious purposes but to right wrongs from the past. The thing is, they brought it upon themselves.

• smiddy
    smiddy

If a substantial number of these 1006 victims could get together and file a class action law-suite against the WTB&TS / Elders , that would be very interesting.

The victims would certainly be entitled to some compensation and the Law Firm representing them would be adequately compensated for their services.

smiddy

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Do they have the NAMES or just the numbers of accused abusers?

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@ Listener But as this is mainly what the RC is about, they will endeavour to come up with the most effective method of compensation without burdening the Government.

I tend to disagree with you there. It seems that the main reason for these investigations is to :
    "identify best practices and recommend the laws, policies, practices and systems that will effectively prevent or, where it occurs, respond to the sexual abuse of children in institutions."

Its true, I haven't read the whole interim report yet, but that is what it seems.....

Here is the report for anyone who is interested:

http://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/about-us/our-reports/interim-report-volume-1-final-020714_lr_web

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit