places like Uganda are entirely black simply because there aren't any

white members living within the Ward boundaries. So this is a total

non-issue.

I understood that prior to the civil rights movement in the States no

black person could hold the priesthood? And if they weren't members of

the priesthood, they couldn't hold any church office, could they? Wasn't

it only in 1978 that God "revealed" a change in policy which was more

politically correct?

No, we didn't make our own Bible. We use the standard King James.

Didn't Joseph Smith translate the Bible himself which was published by

his wife and son in 1867 after they split with Brigham Young. And doesn't

the King James version you publish include Joseph Smith's translation in

the footnotes and appendix (since 1979)?

No we are not "shady" with our true beliefs when dealing with converts.

Hmmmmm.

Earnest

Edited by - Earnest on 25 September 2002 22:6:19

• puzzled
    puzzled

This has some interesting reading

The "true" Christian church according to a group of Mormons:

A Mormon site 1 contains a list of 17 Bible references. The anonymous author(s) believe that these passages define certain features of the true church. All 17 seem to apply with remarkable accuracy to the LDS church. These points have been critiqued by Bill McKeever. 2 We found the identical list at Rapture Ready, a website that attempts to predict the timing of the rapture. 3The list is here attributed to a group of 5 men at the California Institute of Technology who assembled the list in the mid-1990's. This group was allegedly made up of an Atheist, Episcopalian, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic. We include a critique of their 17 points. [ Author's note: a reader of this essay informed us that they had heard an audio tape about this list perhaps as early as the mid 1970's. The tape was recorded by one of the original Cal Tech 5. ]

1. Christ founded the church: Ephesians 4:11-14 : "And he [Jesus] gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ...." This is not a useful indicator of the true church, because every denomination can trace its history back through preceding organizations to the 1 st century.
    2. The church's name includes Jesus Christ: Ephesians 5:23: "For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body." The passage indicates that Jesus is the head of the church; it does not state that Jesus' name forms part of the church's name. Again, this is not a useful indicator of the true church, because every Christian denomination claims that Jesus is their ultimate head and savior.
    3. It must have a foundation of Apostles and Prophets: Ephesians 2:19-20: "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets..." This passages can be interpreted to mean that the true church will have an organization like that of the Mormon church, with official positions named Apostles and Prophets. But the passage could also be interpreted as a simple comment by St. Paul on the origins of the church at Ephesus.
    4. It must have the same organization as Christ's Church: Ephesians 4:11-14: (See quotation above)
      bulletThe LDS Church, alone among Christian denominations, meets a literal interpretation of this passage. Their church hierarchy includes apostles and prophets. Based upon a statement of their founder, Joseph Smith, the LDS church considers, the office of Patriarch is as equivalent to the position of Evangelist as referred to in Ephesians. Similarly, members of the all-male Aaronic Priesthood are considered to be teachers and pastors.
      bulletHowever, many liberal interpreters 1 view the passage as not referring to formal job titles within the early New Testament churches. In the time of Paul, there was no precise church organizational structure that was shared throughout the movement. Apostles and prophets were often "ministers with a special vision;" evangelists were traveling ministers; pastors / teachers were local pastors.
      bulletStill another belief is promoted by the Roman Catholic church: that Jesus ordained the apostles who in turn ordained priests. Bishops were selected from among the priesthood from the earliest days. The titles mentioned in Ephesians were simply job descriptions for various types of priests.
    5. It must claim divine authority: Hebrews 5:4-10: "And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God...Though he [Jesus] were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec." Jesus was selected by God to be a priest of the order Melchisedec, just as Mormon males are ordained into the Melchisedec priesthood. This might be interpreted as giving special stature to the Mormon church. However, other theologians simply interpret the passage as referring to Jesus' selection by God to be the high priest of all.
    6. It must have no paid ministry: Isaiah 45:13: "I have raised him up in righteousness, and I will direct all his ways: he shall build my city, and he shall let go my captives, not for price nor reward, saith the LORD of hosts." and 1 Peter 5:2: "The elders which are among you I exhort...Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind." Essentially every Christian faith group, with the exception of cell churches, house churches, and very few others, have paid staff. If these passages were interpreted broadly to require all officials in a faith group too be volunteers, then almost no denomination could be considered the "true church." The Isaiah reference is to Cyrus the Persian, head of the Babylonian empire.
    7. It must baptize by immersion: Matthew 3:13-16: "Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him...And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water..." Jesus was baptized by full immersion. So, apparently, was the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8:38-39. But of the 32 references to baptism in the New Testament, none specified that new Christians must be baptized by full immersion; none prohibit "sprinkling". In early Christendom, both new members and their baptizers were naked during the ritual. No Christian faith group performs naked baptisms today. If denominations can change the clothing requirements of the participants, then it can be argued that they can change other details of the ritual.
    8. It must bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands: Acts 8:14-17: "..the apostles...sent unto them Peter and John: Who...laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost." Some faith groups practice this; others do not. There are passages in the book of Acts which describe Christians receiving the Holy Spirit without hands being laid upon them. (Acts 4:31; 10:44 & 11:15.). The practice appears to have been optional.
    9. It practices divine healing: Matthew 3:14-15: This passage, which describes Jesus' baptism by John does not seem to refer to divine healing. Mark 16:18 does: "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." But this passages appears to be a forgery, added by an unknown author after Mark was completed. Some faith groups do practice healing. Many others regarded such miracles as a function of the very early Christian church and not present today.
    10. It teaches that God and Jesus Christ are separate and distinct individuals: John 17:11: "And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee..." Here, Jesus talks about coming to God.That might imply that Jesus and God were separate entities. But the verse continues: "Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are."Thelatter appears to indicate that Jesus and God are one. also John 20:17: "...Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." This verse seems to imply that Jesus must travel to get to God, and that the Father is God of both Mary Magdalene's and Jesus. Certain passages in the Bible appear to supportthe unity of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit; others appear to support the concept that Jesus and God are separate. The Church argued and debated for centuries over this point, and finally settled on the Trinity concept: that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are separate persons, within the unity of the Godhead.
    11. It must teach that God and Jesus Christ have bodies of flesh and bone: e.g. Luke 24:36-39: "...And he [Jesus] said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." This passages describes Jesus visiting with the disciples after his execution and resurrection, during which he shows that he has a normal body. In other passages, he is described as having a spirit body, being able to pass through walls. Also, the Bible teaches in various places both that God is a spirit and that God has body parts. So, the Bible can find support for just about any belief system concerning the physicality of the Father and Son.
    12. Its officers must be called by God: (Hebrews 5:4, Exodus 28:1, & Exodus 40:13-16): All faith groups believe that their clergy is called by God.
    13. It must claim revelation from God: Amos 3:7: All faith groups claim revelations from God. Some believe that this is a direct instruction, e.g. orders from God to the head of the Mormon church, as when the LDS received instructions to eliminate polygamy and later, racism from the church. Other faith groups rely on individual and group prayer to ascertain God's will.
    14. It must be a missionary church: Matthew 28:19-20: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them..." Many faith groups engage in major missionary activity. Others believe that this instruction was applicable only to the early Christian church, when Christians formed a very small minority.
    15. It must be a restored church: Acts 3:19-21: "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began." Mormons and others believe that this passage refers to the true church having been lost and later restored. Others interpret it as referring to continuing refreshment that the believer receives from God, and that "restitution of all things" refers to Jesus' healing of "every disorder and divisions caused by the fall of man"4 at the time of his second coming. The passages can clearly be interpreted in many ways.
    16. It must practice baptism for the dead: e.g. 1 Corinthians 15:29: "Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?" Some Christians interpret this passage as requiring baptism of the dead. But Paul uses "they" to refer to the baptizers; he apparently did not do it himself. Baptism of the dead was generally unknown in the Christian movements, except for Corinth. It would appear that baptism for the dead is an optional practice, neither condemned nor practiced by St. Paul.
    17. It will be known by its behavior: Matthew 7:20: "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them." Studying the present and past behavior of various faith groups (Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Southern Baptists, Presbyterian, Methodists, Islam, Hinduism, etc.), one would see many instances of behavior that actively discriminated against people: racism; support of slavery; polygamy; sexism; homophobia; denial of childhood inoculation; suppression of birth control information; campaigns against racially mixed marriage, racial integration; etc. Of course, only a sub-set of these forms of discrimination are to be found in any one given religious group -- and then often only in the past. The full evil of these policies often was not recognized for many decades afterwards. The immoral nature of some of the faith group's "fruits" has been so widespread, that it is debatable whether many denomination would qualify even to be considered as the "true church." If they are to be judged by their behavior, then it could be argued that the true church would be one which has consistently fought for human rights against the rest of Christendom. The European Free Church family of denominations (e.g. Mennonites, Quakers) and liberal denominations like the United Church of Christ come to mind. To this list may be added the Unitarian Universalist Association, except that only about 10% of their membership consider themselves to be Christian.

• puzzled
    puzzled

SUSAN You stated that the Mormons do not have their own Bible?

Here are some more interesting links to Mormon beliefs.

MEET the BOMA Team!!
    http://www.new-jerusalem.com/CLASSICS/BOMA/meetteam.cfm
    Below is a statement from BOMA the answermana Mormon
    The Book of Mormon is more true than the Bible, only because it was translated ONCE, and not into a variety of different versions and opinions as has been the Bible. Just look at the differences we have!

http://www.new-jerusalem.com/CLASSICS/BOMA/keywords.cfm

Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons), was troubled by the multiplicity of Christian sects. He received a vision at the age of 14. God and Jesus Christ appeared separately before Joseph and told him that all of the Christian sects and denominations were in error and that he should not join any of them. He later founded the Mormon church. It teaches that its beliefs and practices are a restoration of the very early Christian church.

MAY-15: The date in 1829 CE when Joseph Smith was visited by John the Baptist, who restored the Aaronic priesthood.

http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/68/16#16

16 And if they be literal descendants of aAaron they have a legal right to the bishopric, if they are the bfirstborn among the sons of Aaron;

17 For the firstborn holds the right of the presidency over this priesthood, and the akeys or authority of the same.
    18 No man has a legal right to this office, to hold the keys of this priesthood, except he be a aliteral descendant and the firstborn of Aaron.
    19 But, as a ahigh priest of the Melchizedek Priesthood has authority to officiate in all the lesser offices he may officiate in the office of bbishop when no literal descendant of Aaron can be found, provided he is called and set apart and ordained unto this power, under the hands of the First Presidency of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
    20 And a literal descendant of Aaron, also, must be designated by this Presidency, and found worthy, and aanointed, and ordained under the hands of this Presidency, otherwise they are not legally authorized to officiate in their priesthood.
    21 But, by virtue of the decree concerning their right of the priesthood descending from father to son, they may claim their aanointing if at any time they can prove their lineage, or do ascertain it by revelation from the Lord under the bhands of the above named Presidency.
    Off-shoots from the LDS church:

Joseph Smith taught a theology of restorationism: that the true Christian church died out in the early 2nd Century CE, and was restored by Joseph Smith with the subsequent establishment of the LDS Church. Restorationism currently consists of almost 100 denominations , many centered in Utah and Missouri. Many consist of a single congregation and a few hundred or fewer members. Some broke away from the LDS church over matters of theology. Many regard their own group, however small, to be the only legitimate Christian church. These groups include:

Aaronic Order : unknown membership; 6 centers; 20 ministers

Apolstolic United Brethren : about 7,000 members. They disagree with the LDS' decision to allow ordination of Afro-Americans and allowing women to assume leadership positions.

Church of Christ (Fetting/Bronson) : about 2000 members

Church of Christ (Temple Lot) : about 2400 members

The Church of Christ "With The Elijah Message," established anew in 1929 12,500 members worldwide

Church of Jesus Christ (Bickertonite) : about 2700 members

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints : about 11 million members

The Community of Christ : about 250,000 members. This denomination was formerly known as the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints -- the "RLDS Church". It was formed in 1860 by remnants of the original church who did not make the trek to Utah. They reject certain beliefs and practices of the LDS church, including marriage sealing for eternity; they allow both men and women into the priesthood; their services are open to the public. They have about 250,000 members.

United Order Effort : a polygamy practicing group, excommunicated by the main LDS church, of perhaps 10,000 members

Restoration Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints . It split from the Reorganized Church in 1991 because of the latter's liberal theology. It is centered in Independence, Missouri, and had an estimated membership of 2,500 in mid-1996. They publish a periodical "The Restoration Advocate" six times a year.

References used:

1. "American Religious Identification Survey," by The Graduate Center of the City University of New York, at: http://www.gc.cuny.edu/studies/

2. Reported by Maranatha Christian Journal at: http://www.mcjonline.com/news/00b/20001109e.htm

3. K.L. Woodward, "A Mormon Moment: America's biggest homegrown religion is looking more Christian. But it's still a different world," Newsweek, 2001-SEP-10, at: http://www.msnbc.com/news/622787.asp

4. Art Toalston & Herb Hollinger, "SBC in Salt Lake City to top 1 millionth messenger mark," BaptistPress Archive, Stories for 1998-APR-15. Search at: http://www.baptistpress.org/

The text of The Pearl of Great Price is online at http://scriptures.lds.org/pgp/contents

Edited by - puzzled on 26 September 2002 1:28:49

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Mulan!!......22 Million mormons??! where'd you get that figure from!! or are you including the baptised dead? Just curious www.adherents.com puts JWs ahead in terms of numbers of LDS members. like I said, just curious......

• Wulfen
    Wulfen

Hello to all!

I was raised in a strict Mormon family, and schooled in the doctrine. Here's my response to the beliefs listed on this thread:

"What was with the coffee?"

The Mormon health code, (the Word of Wisdom), prohibits tobacco, alcohol, and "hot drinks." This has been officially clarified as meaning tea and coffee. Since both of these drinks contain caffeine, many Mormons also avoid cola drinks to be on the safe side. But, while abstinence from coffee is required to enter the temple - not the neighborhood chapel. Big difference - one can be a cola-drinker and enter go to the temple.

"I always remember thinking that the teaching about Jesus and how he supposedly came to America as strange. I still do."

This is true. Mormons believe that Jesus visited the people of America after he died and resurrected in Palestine.

"I also thought that the whole idea of the 12 heads of the church was somehow trying to replace the apostles."

This is exactly, overtly, what it is. The LDS church has a "prophet" who leads twelve "apostles." This is what they're called. It is believe that a church cannot be true unless it emulates what Christ did.

"Lets see: We will be Just like GOD and create our own universe."

Yes, this is Mormon belief.

"The gold plates that no one has ever seen."

True. Only a select few ever claimed to see them. Their existence is taken 100% on faith.

"All of the mythical kingdoms in the Book of Mormon that no one has ever found or heard of."

True. Not a speck of archeological evidence has ever verified the Book of Mormon.

"The beleif that we are all Angels with 'wool over our eyes'"

This sounds like the Mormon belief that all humans are literal spirit children of God, temporarily incarnated in a physical body, who have amnesia of their former life with God. Close enough.

"and the grand finally, the cross is evil- 'you would carry around a gun on your neck if your child was shot now would you..?????'"

While it is true that Mormons do not ornament their buildings with crosses, it is not out of the reasoning you express, which must be Watchtower doctrine. Mormons emphasize Jesus' resurrection over his death. But it is not uncommon to see paintings by Mormon artists depicting Christ hanging on the cross, (not a pole).

"I heard that a Mormon belief is that some of the "lost tribes of Israel" were to be found among the Native Americans (formerly called "Indians") here in North America."

Yes, that is Mormon doctrine.

"How about those undergarments!"

Yes, Mormons who have been through the temple ceremony, or endowment - again, something quite apart from regular Sunday worship - wear special undergarments for the rest of their lives.

"Didn't they find those gold plates a while ago? And were they not certified by the Mormon governing body as genuine? They were until it was revealed that they were well made fakes."

This never happened, but this may refer to the Hoffman forgeries. Back in the '80s, a master forger named Hoffman sold the LDS church historical documents that indicated Joseph Smith had been heavily involved in folk magic before founding the Mormon Church. While the documents were proven false, they were based on fact, and much real evidence on the subject has since come forth.

"Even black people were basically banned from the religion too if I remember, for quite a while."

No quite. They're have always been, (a very few), black people in the Mormon Church, but they could never hold the priesthood. Since holding the priesthood is necessary for a man to become a God in the next life, this was a very serious exclusion. The doctrine was that they descended from Cain, the first murderer. While they were our brothers in the pre-existence with God, they were not valiant in the fight against Lucifer there, and so were penalized on earth by being born in the black race. This doctrine has since been deconstructed, and Blacks can now hold the priesthood.

"Or you need to have kids so the Angels can come down and be tested."

Yes, the doctrine is that all humans are spirit offspring of God, who come to earth to be schooled, (tested). Traditionally, Mormons have been encouraged to have large families so that more spirits could be raised in families with "the truth."

The Mormon doctrine is that gods, angels, and humans are all the same race, but in different stages of development. Perhaps a good analogy would be caterpillars turning into butterflies?

"Oh, and my FAVORITE- The Baptism of the DEAD! Why do you think the Mormons run all those family history sites???? There Baptising all of your Dead relatives!! Bunch of nuts!!"

Yes, nutty, but true. Mormons believe that people who die without the "truth" are kept in spirit prison. Baptism is essential for all, and so living people perform the ordinance in behalf of dead persons.

"It also makes me Angry that I will be unable to go to my best friends wedding."

Yes, it is very rude. Mormon "celestial marriages" are only performed in the temple. Since only Mormons in good standing may enter, many are excluded.

Some Mormons are more diplomatic, and have two ceremonies: one temple, the other open to the public in the chapel. But this is looked down on by many as demeaning the temple ceremony.

"God has a physical body and is represented in pictorials as being blond (blonds are more celestial than brunettes)."

Yes, God is believed to have a physical body, but it's not really blonde. It's white. Not white as in Caucasian, but white as in staring into the sun.

"Heaven is made up of 7 levels, and if humans knew how wonderful even the lowest level was, they would commit suicide to get there. Only truly evil people wont go to heaven."

While people say "I'm in seventh heaven" to mean that they're really happy, it doesn't come from Mormonism. Mormons only believe in three levels of heaven. And yes, Joseph Smith said that if you could see even the lowest, you would be tempted to kill yourself to get there.

"One of my boys try too convince mee that Mormons and JW are once started of llumanari leaders to control peoepl, if you loook on who are fore exampel in the bilderbergergroup,, it is an intresting point, who nows, perhaps he is on something here, eve if I say he is crayzy."

Lots of people speculate about this. The Mormon temple ritual is obviously taken from Freemasonry, with certain changes. Joseph Smith and most of the early leaders were Masons. There is even evidence that the mob that killed Joseph was made up of Masons, exacting revenge for his stealing and altering their secrets. This is a big, interesting subject.

Thanks! That was fun.

• detective
    detective

I have a question... what about hot chocolate? Yea or nay for Mormons?

And Double Edge, have you looked at the www.exmormon.org site? I think you'll find it interesting.

• Wulfen
    Wulfen

Hello to all!

I was raised in a strict Mormon family, and schooled in the doctrine. Here's my response to the beliefs listed on this thread:

"What was with the coffee?"

The Mormon health code, (the Word of Wisdom), prohibits tobacco, alcohol, and "hot drinks." This has been officially clarified as meaning tea and coffee. Since both of these drinks contain caffeine, many Mormons also avoid cola drinks to be on the safe side. But, while abstinence from coffee is required to enter the temple - not the neighborhood chapel. Big difference - one can be a cola-drinker and enter go to the temple.

"I always remember thinking that the teaching about Jesus and how he supposedly came to America as strange. I still do."

This is true. Mormons believe that Jesus visited the people of America after he died and resurrected in Palestine.

"I also thought that the whole idea of the 12 heads of the church was somehow trying to replace the apostles."

This is exactly, overtly, what it is. The LDS church has a "prophet" who leads twelve "apostles." This is what they're called. It is believe that a church cannot be true unless it emulates what Christ did.

"Lets see: We will be Just like GOD and create our own universe."

Yes, this is Mormon belief.

"The gold plates that no one has ever seen."

True. Only a select few ever claimed to see them. Their existence is taken 100% on faith.

"All of the mythical kingdoms in the Book of Mormon that no one has ever found or heard of."

True. Not a speck of archeological evidence has ever verified the Book of Mormon.

"The beleif that we are all Angels with 'wool over our eyes'"

This sounds like the Mormon belief that all humans are literal spirit children of God, temporarily incarnated in a physical body, who have amnesia of their former life with God. Close enough.

"and the grand finally, the cross is evil- 'you would carry around a gun on your neck if your child was shot now would you..?????'"

While it is true that Mormons do not ornament their buildings with crosses, it is not out of the reasoning you express, which must be Watchtower doctrine. Mormons emphasize Jesus' resurrection over his death. But it is not uncommon to see paintings by Mormon artists depicting Christ hanging on the cross, (not a pole).

"I heard that a Mormon belief is that some of the "lost tribes of Israel" were to be found among the Native Americans (formerly called "Indians") here in North America."

Yes, that is Mormon doctrine.

"How about those undergarments!"

Yes, Mormons who have been through the temple ceremony, or endowment - again, something quite apart from regular Sunday worship - wear special undergarments for the rest of their lives.

"Didn't they find those gold plates a while ago? And were they not certified by the Mormon governing body as genuine? They were until it was revealed that they were well made fakes."

This never happened, but this may refer to the Hoffman forgeries. Back in the '80s, a master forger named Hoffman sold the LDS church historical documents that indicated Joseph Smith had been heavily involved in folk magic before founding the Mormon Church. While the documents were proven false, they were based on fact, and much real evidence on the subject has since come forth.

"Even black people were basically banned from the religion too if I remember, for quite a while."

No quite. They're have always been, (a very few), black people in the Mormon Church, but they could never hold the priesthood. Since holding the priesthood is necessary for a man to become a God in the next life, this was a very serious exclusion. The doctrine was that they descended from Cain, the first murderer. While they were our brothers in the pre-existence with God, they were not valiant in the fight against Lucifer there, and so were penalized on earth by being born in the black race. This doctrine has since been deconstructed, and Blacks can now hold the priesthood.

"Or you need to have kids so the Angels can come down and be tested."

Yes, the doctrine is that all humans are spirit offspring of God, who come to earth to be schooled, (tested). Traditionally, Mormons have been encouraged to have large families so that more spirits could be raised in families with "the truth."

The Mormon doctrine is that gods, angels, and humans are all the same race, but in different stages of development. Perhaps a good analogy would be caterpillars turning into butterflies?

"Oh, and my FAVORITE- The Baptism of the DEAD! Why do you think the Mormons run all those family history sites???? There Baptising all of your Dead relatives!! Bunch of nuts!!"

Yes, nutty, but true. Mormons believe that people who die without the "truth" are kept in spirit prison. Baptism is essential for all, and so living people perform the ordinance in behalf of dead persons.

"It also makes me Angry that I will be unable to go to my best friends wedding."

Yes, it is very rude. Mormon "celestial marriages" are only performed in the temple. Since only Mormons in good standing may enter, many are excluded.

Some Mormons are more diplomatic, and have two ceremonies: one temple, the other open to the public in the chapel. But this is looked down on by many as demeaning the temple ceremony.

"God has a physical body and is represented in pictorials as being blond (blonds are more celestial than brunettes)."

Yes, God is believed to have a physical body, but it's not really blonde. It's white. Not white as in Caucasian, but white as in staring into the sun.

"Heaven is made up of 7 levels, and if humans knew how wonderful even the lowest level was, they would commit suicide to get there. Only truly evil people wont go to heaven."

While people say "I'm in seventh heaven" to mean that they're really happy, it doesn't come from Mormonism. Mormons only believe in three levels of heaven. And yes, Joseph Smith said that if you could see even the lowest, you would be tempted to kill yourself to get there.

"One of my boys try too convince mee that Mormons and JW are once started of llumanari leaders to control peoepl, if you loook on who are fore exampel in the bilderbergergroup,, it is an intresting point, who nows, perhaps he is on something here, eve if I say he is crayzy."

Lots of people speculate about this. The Mormon temple ritual is obviously taken from Freemasonry, with certain changes. Joseph Smith and most of the early leaders were Masons. There is even evidence that the mob that killed Joseph was made up of Masons, exacting revenge for his stealing and altering their secrets. This is a big, interesting subject.

Thanks! That was fun.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

No quite. They're have always been, (a very few), black people in the Mormon Church, but they could never hold the priesthood. Since holding the priesthood is necessary for a man to become a God in the next life, this was a very serious exclusion

Hi Wulfen,

There was one Mormon in particular that I worked with several years ago and she explained this doctrine to me the way that (she said) it was originally believed. How long ago (1800's,1900's) I don't know. Also I never went around asking every Mormon I ever knew or know if it was in fact true or not. This is how she explained it. Note, her entire family are Mormon. What branch, I don't know that either.

Anyway:

The reason blacks were allowed to be "members" was because they were believed to be a reincarnation of someone in the past where upon dieing did not advance to the next level. They instead stayed on earth in the form of a black person and they were not allowed to advance in the church. Coming back as a black person was how they were identified as having been reincarnated already and the churches way of identifying them as someone who could not be allowed to advance.

That would be an obvious good reason why there would not be many if any at all black people wanting to be Mormon. And why you would not see any ( or rarely see any) belonging to that faith.

I remember this very clearly because we got into a lengthy discussion over it at work and talked about it for a few hours.

Since that time, she said, there have been many changes in doctrine. However her father still believes that.

Much like the JWs, the younger generation wouldn't know much about the older generation regarding beliefs unless they researched.

How do you feel about that belief? Keep in mind I didn't hear this as a rumor. This was coming straight from Mormons directly to me. Not gossip.

plum

• MARTINLEYSHON
    MARTINLEYSHON

Valis

You are out of order big time go away you pratt

Martin

• Valis
    Valis

uh Martin do tell how I'm out of order? Don't like my sarcasm or perhaps its the first post I made on this thread about Joseph Smith? Try explaining yourself and if at all possible try to frame your comments in context. Hope that isn't asking too much, but I thought I would give you the benfit of the doubt before I commence to call you an idiot.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit