What Road Would You Choose---IF?

by John Aquila 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• antes8080
    antes8080

the only thing I would change, is not get baptize.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That is so hard to answer. The person I am now is partially as a result of my experiences as a JW. As bad as the JW experience was, it made me a better person in some ways. Having been disfellowshipped at one time made me a stronger person, but I also made many bad decisions because of the religion too.

I probably would not have gone to college anyway because classroom instruction was always difficult for me, I found out as an adult that I have ADHD. I was a system analyst for many years and enjoyed that, but I may never have gotten into that had I chose a different path in life, it wasn't something I grew up wanting to do.

I guess knowing what I know now I would have probably chosen to do what I do now, which is my own antiques related business. l

• Aerodynamic
    Aerodynamic

I met my wife when I wasn't really going to meetings, never been disfellowshipped. My parents always encouraged us to go out and conquer, get the best of what Jehovah had to offer. We grew up as witnesses, but they encouraged education. My siblings either have Bachelors and one has a Masters, I have my Bachelors, working on my Masters, so very opposite of what I see posted for many of you here. My parents taught that we could be more effective witnesses if we were educated, plus they knew money makes the world go round.

I guess I have to take responsibility for my own actions. I always like to drugs and parties, education took a back seat. Because of my not being a complete witness I met my wife, date, fell into forbidden love and have some kids. Would I change it, NO, I love them more than breathing, but I could go back in time, I would have joined the Army and gotten into Computer Sciences on a much higher level than I am in now. I would have learned to program younger and do that. I also didn't have many friends, I am an inadvertent about 80% of the time, so I draw a lot, I always wanted to be an animator and with computers have dabbled in computer animation.

When I was newly married I let my wife talk me out of going back to school for visual effects, I called her the "dream killer" for the longest time. Very uplifting relationship. :) but it worked itself out quite nicely. I wanted to design Video Games. But with how the world works, I learn about that sort of stuff in my spare time. Truth be told though it was all me, no one or no witness had enough controls over my life that prevented me from doing what I wanted to.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

My parents met at a DC. They lived far from each other and had absolutely NOTHING in common except for the "truth". Without the JW religion I wouldn't exist.

In a better world my mother would have divorced my abusive alcoholic father when I was a baby and left the religion. Then, even though she was a narcissistic drug addict, I would have been spared much of my childhood trauma.

I would have never met my first husband who I was pressured into marrying at 17. I loved musical theater and fashion but was also very interested in business law and public speaking (a form of acting lol). Who knows what would have happened??

The only good things that came out of my being a Dub were my children. The best thing is that my surviving daughter did go to college, did have a fashion career, and now is a successful publicist living a life better than I ever dreamed of. :)

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    I would not choose any other road than the one I am on at this moment.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    3rdgen

My parents met at a DC. They lived far from each other and had absolutely NOTHING in common except for the "truth". Without the JW religion I wouldn't exist.

That's actually a scary thought.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I would become a paleoanthropologist. Our origins as a species has always fascinated me.

And I would get married young in spite of my career.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    What problemaddic 2 said. I got a lovely wife and a lovely kid and we all are getting out together, so I wouldn't change a damn thing. Just wish I would have taken school more seriously, though.
  • millie210
    millie210

As a young romantic teen, I wanted to join the Peace Corp. The closest option at the time? Became a pioneer instead.

I soaked up education and would have kept going forever if not for being in a religion that frowned on it. I would have loved to become a cultural anthropologist specializing in nutritional anthropology.

It fascinates me how we live and interact with our natural world and what has been and is used now to nurture our bodies, the elaborate rituals and taboos that have been constructed around that process and how it varies through time and place.

I also have to say HoldMe-ThrillMe that I loved your answer!

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

J A, "That's a scary thought."

It is a little scary but it keeps me from resenting my parents or the religion more than I already do. I'm sure there are countless born in's whose parents would have never met but for a JW convention. All we can do is be glad we are alive, be glad we know ttatt and make the best out of our situations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit