Advice Needed - JW Grandparents

by What Now? 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• whathappened
    whathappened
    I would talk to my children about "the truth about the truth" from an early age. Warn them about what the JW relatives will say about Armageddon and their use of fear mongering. The children may have to ask the grandparents not to discuss the phsuedo religion with them.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Your family is lucky to be around your kids at all. It's good the babysitting is out. I think there can still be a conversation though. Go over some positive character education that you got as a child that is not so much JW centric as it is humanity centric. You can give the JWs credit for that as a generosity though you know it's some stretchy b.s..

Tell your parents that indoctrinating your children with unique religious dogma is not ok, but if they want to include them in their Christian work of feeding the poor and assisting widows(cleaning, cooking, yard work) you would be happy for your kids to help shop or work at a food bank(as age appropriate) you would be happy to work with them in doing some practical Christian loving in your community. They can take that however they want, but it may give your family a new experience and something positive to do with the kids and you.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Ever think about just saying that you don't want them exposed to the religion because you never want the JW relatives in the position of thinking they need to shun your kids if they don't come to accept it as truth. They were willing to shun you. Tell them you'd rather your children don't have a close relationship to lose than for your kids to face what you have had to face for being similarly exposed to it. You want your kids to only experience unconditional love from family.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It is quite a dilemma to be in.

Not really. Tell your mom that she can of course be herself around your kids, but you do NOT want her trying to indoctrinate or teach them religious beliefs.

It's called respect. Real respect is a mutual thing. It's time for mommy to enter the world of grown-ups.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit