Advice Needed - JW Grandparents

by What Now? 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• What Now?
    What Now?

My family has been out (inactive – no meeting attendance or field service) for just over two years.

We’ve made many changes in our lives, including with our personal appearances (tattoos, piercings etc) that are a pretty obvious sign that we aren’t going back any time soon.

Our families went through a period of time about a year ago when they made a lot of threats – that if we left “the truth”, they wouldn’t even be able to share a meal with us, they would stay loyal to Jehovah etc. We were told by my mother in law that for her, it was as if we were disfellowshipped already, that’s why she doesn’t call too often. They told us in a letter that they would have to cut off association with us – but that they still wanted a relationship with their grandchildren, that we would have to “work out some type of arrangement”.

At that time, we made it clear that we loved them, that they could see our family whenever they wanted, but that our family comes as a “package deal”.

It seems that after that, they realized that their threats were not making us change our minds, and that they would not have a relationship with their grandchildren without my husband and I in the picture – and since then, it’s almost as if things are 100% normal between us. I have had the best relationship with my mother and sisters that I’ve ever had in my life, my in laws want to take us on vacation, etc.

I think if it were just my husband and I, our families would have pre-emptively shunned us a long time ago, but now that they have grandchildren, it’s not easy as they thought (which I sympathize with, I'm not a monster!).

It actually messes with my head and causes me more anxiety – I’m always just waiting for the next big blowup ... but that’s a topic for another thread!

Anyways ... what this thread is about, is whether or not it would be wise to let my children have a normal relationship with their grandparents and aunts. Their grandparents have never babysat them, and when we asked my sister to look after the kids for two hours while my husband and I went on a date – she brought her iPad and showed him all the Caleb videos, and afterwards he was saying “Jehovah doesn’t like this and that, that we need to say a prayer before meals, etc. My in laws continue to make a big show of praying before meals, and talking about Jehovah whenever they can.

We realized after that, that our family likely thinks that my husband and I are lost causes, but that there is still hope for our kids. That they will try to plant “seeds of truth” wherever they can, and hopefully one day, it will touch their heart.

It is quite a dilemma to be in. On one hand, it leaves my husband and I alone in raising our children, without “the village”, as it were. We have no support – no trusted friends or family to babysit, and give us small breaks here and there.

On the other hand, I am terrified that they if they get too close to our families, they will succeed in pulling them towards the organization, and everything that we have gone through to get where we are will have been for nothing.

I worry too, that it is only a matter of time before the governing body tells them to treat inactive ones as disfellowshipped, or something along those lines, and it will only be harder on our kids in the long run the closer they get to our families.

Are any of you in the same situation? How have you handled it?

TIA!

• Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

It's not really a "normal" relationship when your relatives are proselytizing to your kids. It's not as if they're reading harmless bible stories to them with nice messages behind them, like fairy tales. No, they're filling their heads with typical JW judgmentalism, intolerance and fear. I wouldn't stand for any babysitter, relative or not, preaching any religion or telling my kids to judge me or criticize what I do or don't do. That's just not on.

Years ago, after I'd been out of that cult for 8 or so years, happily married with 2 kids, living a wonderful cult-free life, my JW mother suddenly decided to stop shunning me. Probably due to the grandkids so I thought why not? It didn't take long before she sweetly suggested my kids needed religion in their lives. I practically exploded. It was absolutely NOT okay to have my kids be exposed to that cult's hateful dogma. I pictured exactly what you just posted - my kids' heads being filled with intolerant crap that made my husband and I look poorly and made my kids' view themselves and our family life with disapproval and guilt.

We didn't have a "village" when we raised our kids. It was hard but I'd rather not go out on dates than risk my children being brainwashed and turned against their own parents or made to feel guilty and less than adequate.

What I did was I very clearly, very firmly told my mother to not ever mention anything about her god or she would not be welcome in our house. It was harsh but I knew I had to be that way with her. If I was wishy-washy about it, she wouldn't have respected my stance.

They don't need to get mixed messages and feel bad about the everyday fun things us free people do and enjoy. What happens when Christmas comes around and they're all happy and excited about it? They don't need interfering relatives killing their joy and making it look like you're doing something wrong by celebrating it.

If I were you, I'd tell your rellies to back off with the religion. After all, if anything makes you feel uncomfortable, you don't have to put up with it, they're your kids.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Gulf coaster is spot on.

be respectful of your grandparents, but let them know you do not want religious negativity around your children.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Thanks for sharing. I have a similar situation except my wife and in-laws have tried to indoctrinate the kids whenever they get the chance. Fortunately my kids are stubborn and somewhat cynical. Whenever they have attended a special assembly day or DC day with my wife I always worry that they will suddenly become dub robots. It hasn't happened yet. I also give them the real reasons I ddn't play sports or go to school dances, or go to college, etc. I make sure they understand the control that the dubs exert on members. But, I don't make things up or try to make it sound worse than it is and I usually provide the dub reasosning and why I think it is wrong.

I have made posts about this in the past because I don't want to do too much and cause them to rebel against me and join the dubs to please mom but I don't want them listening to dub logic and buying into it either.

I think with you and your husband on the same page you should be ok. Show them lots of love and teach them to think for themselves and to reason on issues. It is hard enough for a fully dub family to keep their kids in so you're probably going to be ok.

• TheListener
    TheListener
    Oh and when my kids were very young I discussed with thwm that they don't call me or mom or their grandparents by our first names, so we should not use the name jehovah so much, if at all because we want to show even more respect to God.
  • wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

Only you can decide if they would make good babysitters. Perhaps you might consider your kids only being with the relatives while you are with them. That way you can prevent any indoctrination. It does make a difference how old your children are when it comes to exposure to things you deem negative. Also, remember your kids will get exposed to a lot of different viewpoints in school and in life and you will have to navigate those as well. How you teach them to deal with diversity and differences in opinions and beliefs will shape how they will do the same in the future.

If they enjoy Christmas then you could explain how some people (like Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists) don't celebrate it but that is no reason for them not to enjoy it. They are under your care until they are adults but they are their own individuals and will make their own choices when they get older. All you can do is give the best guidance and all the love and hope for the best.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    On one hand, it leaves my husband and I alone in raising our children, without “the village”, as it were. We have no support – no trusted friends or family to babysit, and give us small breaks here and there.

On the other hand, I am terrified that they if they get too close to our families, they will succeed in pulling them towards the organization, and everything that we have gone through to get where we are will have been for nothing.

I'm going to disagree with all the comments that are against risking your kids being with Gramps & Granny just because they'll try to indoctrinate them. You kids will be exposed to all kinds of opinions and propaganda as they socialize with more and more people. (I'm not sure if you said how old they are, but young enough to need a babysitter).

My FIL tried to indoctrinate our kids with his brand of politics (won't say which, doesn't matter), but he is rabid in his political opinions. He also is an avid hunter/fisherman. Best boat, best gear, best blind, best guns etc etc. He sooo desired to have his grandkids take up the passion. He was unsuccessful in it all.

It's only if this is ALL they are exposed to that it is a risk. That's what happened to all of us "born-ins". We never got to see/hear the other side. You just have to explain that Gramps & Granny have different opinions on this or that. Uncle Bill or Aunt Juanita are Holy Rollers and think they are the only right religion. WE DON'T BELIEVE THAT... AND HERE IS WHY.......And, you'll have to decide what's right for you as you grow up and weigh out all the facts.

When they go to school, they'll meet some religious kids of many different faiths. They may wonder why you as a family don't go to some church like many other friends and family. They'll probably have JWs in their class that are the Ricky Righteous JW and preach at school. (Most likely not.) It doesn't hurt a child to be exposed to different cultures -- race, religion, nationality, etc.

Everyone has come to terms with a peaceable compromise on association -- no shunning. Keep it that way. Don't become the extremists.

JMHO,

Doc

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Here's an idea let your kids be with them as if normal but when your kids are back with you show them and talk to them about the beliefs of the JW's. Explain why you no longer believe and show scriptures that blow up thier doctrine. If you don't believe in the Bible then show your kids why and some of the reasons. Reason with your kids and show them that your willing to discuss these kinda of things with them. Also let them know that as a member if the JW religion they are not allowed to discuss things debated or even question thier leaders. This will be a great exercise in critical thinking that will be valuable to your kids one day.
  • Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

Great advice, TheListener. It must be hard to be in your situation and I can understand your worry that your kids might turn into JW bots. That would definitely be a concern for me and I know I was lucky to have my husband firmly on my side (he never was a JW and has no time for them whatsoever).

It's good that you are telling your kids of the consequences and reality of being a JW, i.e., the normal fun things that were denied to you, and your regrets and sacrifices, rather than them getting only the glossy version of how "wonderful" JW life is supposed to be. They're luckier than kids with both JW parents in that they have a real life example of the non-JW world. How do they manage to put up with going to the DC and assemblies though? They must be bored out of their minds! Poor things.

• Cangie
    Cangie
    In the absence of "the village" I would suggest that you become friendly with the parents of your children's schoolmates. Perhaps inviting moms and kids over for a "play date", joining parenting or mother's groups in your area. or inviting a friend to go on a family outing will begin to get you connected to other parents who may become you and your husbands friends too. Other people would probably like the opportunity to become friendly with others in their neighborhood who have similar goals, lifestyles and values. In this way, they would be available to babysit your kids, and vice-versa. I have watched my daughter do this with great success, and she now has a nice group of other parents who provide her with a support group. Perhaps parents groups can be located through schools, the library, parks, churches, Craigslist, etc. If you don't find one---start one of your own. Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit