A different thought re "flickering light&q...

by comment 15 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

Does it seem plausible to you that some of the Society's apparent flip-flops on doctrine are simply errors by the Writing Department?

For instance, take the question of whether the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah will be resurrected. Around 1989, the revised edition of You Can Live Forever in Paradise said no, the Insight book said something else and the Revelation Climax book said something else. (I don't have the page citations in front of me, but in any case, there were two nos and one yes, I think.)

I'd be surprised if the Society actually changed its mind that quickly on the same doctrine in that short of a period of time. Maybe one change would be understandable (like the definition of fornication in the January 1, 1972 and December 15, 1972 Watchtower Questions from Readers), but two seems like a long shot.

Since the Writing Department apparently does a lot of its research just by looking up what past publications have said, might it be that one writer looked up information on Sodom and Gomorrah that wasn't "present truth," thought it sounded right and used it, and then had it rubber-stamped by a member of the Governing Body who was already snowed under by paperwork/late for lunch/sleepy, allowing it to be printed?

The Society prints SO MUCH literature that it's hard for anyone to keep track of it all. Otherwise, I'm sure more Witnesses would become aware of what's said in the older publications and contradictions therein. But instead, they're struggling merely to keep up with what comes out month to month.

Thoughts?

comment

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

"Comment" welcome to the 'room.'

Your thoughts make a lot of sense to me! Zeeesh, there is so, so much written material they are producing - I can easily imagine the scenario you described. I'm sure it accounts for at least some of the flip-flops.

Recently, someone here posted a link with the rule book for those at Bethel - an individual's day starts very early and continues quite late - plus all the meetings, field-service, talks, visits to congregations, etc. So, I can easily picture a 'writer' having some problems with a thorough research job for a variety of reasons...as you suggested above.

Of course, I must admit I like it when they are caught tripping over their own feet, ha,ha.

Looking forward to your future postings.

• Prisca
    Prisca

But.. but.. but... wouldn't Jehovah's spirit in helping them stay awake enough to read the articles His holy spirit has directed the brothers to write??
    [8>]

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day comment,

I think there's much in what you say. I can recall one year, some years ago now, a new book being released at the District Convention. Here we were led to believe was "new light", "food at the proper time". Within a few months there was a correction via the Questions from Readers section of the Watchtower magazine. The point being corrected was important. So, we wondered, how did Jesus, as head of the Congregations, arrange for this book costing a great amount of money to produce, yet containing an error? Methinks Jesus wouldn't allow that if he'd known!

Remarkably, the 'Society" did not admit to a mistake in their QFR article but simply a change in understanding! So we can assume that the cosmic phone line from Jehovah/Jesus to the F&DS had a bit of 'interference' on the line!!

Cheers,

Ozzie

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hey Ozzie,

Of course it wasn't a mistake on the Society's part.

It's more like: "Some friends were overzealous in their hope that the first understanding was correct."

Or: "Some readers' consciences had bound them to a certain understanding previously held. But it would be more realistic if you could be flexible enough to now believe $%^& (whatever)."

Gopher (Of the too timid to believe what they said either time class)

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It's a thought, ain't it, Gopher.

Can you recall the W/T (Borg/Society/F&DS) ever saying they're sorry?

Yours in sadness,

Ozzie

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hey Oz (or is that too informal),

I had heard the scripture (I believe from James 5) quoted often, "Go on confessing your sins to one another." And Paul wrote, "Now that we are members belonging to one another, speak the truth each one of you with his neighbor."

So we are told to always 'fess up, down to the last detail!

It would be nice if the W/T set even a small precedent in confession. Actually if they don't, I believe they will eventually lose out in the eyes of many more of their current adherents.

Gopher, who suddenly feels he's from the "Show-me" state

• anglise
    anglise

Thats absolutely fine by me if anyone wants to claim pressure of workload or lack of attention to detail for sloppy and inaccurate information being printed.
    BUT NOT when people are supposed to alter and live according to such seemingly abitrary thoughts and understandings.
    How much concession would the r&f jdub be given if they reacted in a similar lackadaisical way when applying these supposed missives from above-you must keep up with the chariot etc-.
    We must judge them as they do us.

• LDH
    LDH

Anglise, that's a great thought--"We must judge them as they judge us."

You know, I'm surprised whenever I visit with a JDub family here or back home. There are NEVER any other reading materials scattered about.

I love to read, I subscribe to about 10 different magazines and read them all cover to cover every month. But, suspiciously, when I ask my JDub friends/relatives, "Say, why don't you get a subscription to Reader's Digest or something?" The number ONE answer I hear?

"I can't even keep up with the food from the FDS! Why would I want to read WORLDLY magazines?"

Now, tell me I'm not alone here. I think part of the plan is to keep them so buried in reading JW slanted material, there's no chance to read anything objective!

• TR
    TR

LDH,

I think part of the plan is to keep them so buried in reading JW slanted material, there's no chance to read anything objective!

Of course it is! The WTS even admits this, I believe. They tell the r&f not to read anything else, and that they want the r&f to stay busy in Jah's org. It's a "protection" to be in god's "sheepfold."

Now I'm going to try to find the WT quotes to back up what I just said.

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit