On The Art Of Fading

by expatbrit 110 Replies latest jw friends

• freydi
    freydi

Yeah, so what does happen next? Do you all become Catholics, Lutherans and Baptists again? I did the disappearing act some time ago. I guess the congregation must think I'm dead as there hasn't been any effort to contact me. I've still got my cell phone number. But back to the issue of what next? I left because I had some place to go. If I didn't, leaving would have been pointless unless I just wanted to be a-religious. For me it was a question of graduating to the Bible Students. Maybe with the news that came out last night, Babylon will come down and all the disaffected x-jws and current jws will get reconnected with their roots. Does anybody have any idea how many df'd there are who are alive?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    How does one ever feel truly free of the constant gaze and worry that you'll "be found out".

That's why I DA'd. I tried to fade, but lacked the patience. I didn't want to feel as though I had to spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder. I didn't want to worry about picking up the phone every time it rang, or every time someone knocked on my door. I didn't want my life to be influenced by an insignificant group that amounts to about 0.1% of the global population.

Yeah, so what does happen next? Do you all become Catholics, Lutherans and Baptists again?

I suppose some do, but many former JWs are uncomfortable getting involved with an organized religion again. Some no longer believe in God. Take time to explore your beliefs.

W

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Freydi. Welcome to the forum!

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled

Bumping this thread...very very informative!

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

worthwhile bump to the top.

Frankly I miss Expat. He OCCASIONALLY had great insights. <waiting to get an earful from him on the occasionally comment>

Uzzah

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

This is one of the best posts I have ever read. Only wish I would have found it sooner.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Bttt. All of these strategies (except for moving) have worked for me.

tsof

• Jaakob
    Jaakob

Hi everyone I've been reading the forum for quite some time now, and finally decided to register. I'm 29yo guy, living in Scandinavia and I've been a witness all my life. I'm currently in the process of fading out of the organization. I moved to another town couple of months ago and as of yet I've been mostly left alone, although my parents have tried their "best" to pull me back in. It's annoying that you can't answer the phone if any unknown numbers are calling or even answer the door when someone rings the bell. At least cellphones are so common here that I've told all my friends to call or sms me before coming over. Anyway, I don't think I'll be posting here much but it's still an interesting forum to read. Cheers :)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This is a good advice thread, welcome aboard Jaakob

• Jaakob
    Jaakob

Well, things have been going smoothly until the yearly conventions (sp?). There was a demonstration held here against WTS practices, shunning, no real freedom of religion etc. I haven't been to a kingdom hall since september last year and I'm not known as a witness in the city where I'm currently living, so I thought there would be no harm done paying a visit to the demonstration, specially since I live only about 2 miles away from the sports hall where the convention and therefore also the demonstration were held. There were two conventions held on back to back weekends, this was the latter one which did not include congrecations from my old hometown. Unfortunately, I was still recognized by someone who knows my younger brother and me through him. Apparently, all hell has broken loose at my old hometown since no one over there really knew that I've basically become an apostate. As I'm writing this I've still no idea what to expect when I visit my parents. To be honest, I'd just like to avoid the whole matter but it seems to be too much to ask. Oh well, it had to happen someday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit