when you were a JW what did you do with your fortune cookie?? LOL

by James Mixon 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tiki
    tiki

and pray tell - who takes fortune cookie sayings seriously?!?!??!?!?! they're just a fun jokey thing!

but wasanelder - that is a good one - but really the number of people who would get it are actually pretty slim

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Fortune cookies are for fun. I don't know if this is a coincidence or if you read my post. Just before you started this thread, I had posted the following on Flipper's Tahoe thread:

Like many former JW's, I enjoy things that would make Witnesses roll their eyes, if not go screaming out of the room shouting "It's demonized." I buy an occasional lottery ticket and go to church funerals and weddings. I curse a little bit (just for emphasis). I love music they might find a bit rough. The main things I do that they would disapprove of are eating meals with all these wonderful ex-JW's, many being DF'ed, and read things they would automatically ban.

But one more thing I will add to my list is Chinese fortune cookies. I typically don't believe in horoscopes and psychics and the like, but fortune cookies are just for fun. Well, that's all changed now. I had Chinese food last week and didn't get around to unsealing and eating the fortune cookie until this week. Here's what I read:

"Something on four wheels will soon be a fun investment for you."

Isn't that crystal clear? OTWO and Zed's excellent driving adventure is about to start on July 6th, 3 weeks from the day that I opened the cookie. We will be the first ones out of the gate for this gathering, unless Terry tries to ride his bicycle from Texas. (Then he better start soon.)

So our trip is already blessed by "fortune." The myth is that when China was occupied by Mongols in the 13th and 14th century, an uprising was planned and a hidden message on rice paper was put into 'Moon Cakes' to tell the Chinese of the date. The uprising was successful and began the Ming Dynasty.

The Chinese in California looking for gold and building the railroads did not make Moon Cakes but had biscuits of a sort and carried on the tradition with sayings and fortunes, which Americans found quaint. Since our trip is to California, the origin of American Chinese Fortune Cookies, it's gotta be true. So I am thrilled to know it will be so awesome.

Don't bet that the lucky lottery numbers inside will get you millions, but with such a "sign" from karma, I know we are going to have a great trip.

• Oogie
    Oogie
    We always called them 'proverb cookies' because they were usually that and not 'fortunes' where I was.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

I always read them, though I never made a display of it because others might be freaked out. I just found them amusing.

One day we were eating at a restaurant with an older couple from the hall. It happened to be father's day, and he could have been my father, and was mistaken as such. They didn't like that. I could understand why the waiter thought such and just moved on. The restaurant hired a magician to entertain the various tables, and he came to ours. He did some basic magic trick, and they didn't like that. However, because we were such good participants, he gave us each a magic fish (can't remember what it was, but it had a fortune in it). He just casually threw one down in front of each of us. He might as well have thrown venomous snakes on the table by their reaction, which was hilarious. They both backed away from the table in extreme fear that it was going to get them in some way. My wife just picked them up and put them in her purse to get the mean, scary trinkets off the table. They were relieved, and I guess not worried that my wife now had the devil in her purse. Good times.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Ha. So funny. As a totally indoctrinated dubbie, I believed that fortune cookies were evil objects of divination- fearsome things straight from Satan to lead us astray. They were terrible and loathsome things indeed. I would be shocked that some JWs could not see the great danger in them.

Hoo boy. I do shake my head at it all now.....

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who
    When I go to the Sunday meeting I always get a group to go afterwards to a local Chinese restaurant. Now remember, most of the people I hang out with are like my sister, questioning or on the fence types. We have a blast with the cookies. One sister keeps saying she is going to sneak one into the Kingdom Hall and put it into this one sisters purse when she is not looking, This sister in question is a hard line born in who actually councils other sisters about hem lines. I keep goading her to do it. God I hope she does!
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

I read the fortune for fun. They never say anything bad, but they were always so banal.

The cookies were usually not very good either.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Wasanelder Once!

That's PFF.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit