Ozzie's Weekend Poll #12

by ozziepost 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

We as a family are book readers All through our house there are many bookcases. In all the bedrooms, in the living room, in the halls. There are quite literally thousands of books. I keep all my old watchtower books and even some of the single issue watchtowers and awakes. I don't throw books away.

Edited by - Dutchie on 22 July 2002 0:2:21

• Princess
    Princess

Hi Ozzie! Way back when we had dozens. Hard to put a number on it. Steve and I are both readers but we tend to pass them around the family. My mom and dad and brothers are all big on reading as well so one of us buys one and passes it around. They rarely come back and if they do I find someone else to give them to. I hate hoarding a great story. My biggest reading friends live on the east coast so we mail books across the country from time to time. I just came from Boston with five in my suitcase, returned two!

Since we have kids now I find myself in the library weekly. I have discovered they have books you can borrow for free! I don't know why I didn't use the library before. My kids love reading as well. Books are amazing.

Rachel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

To all ,

Yeah, but has your library contents changed since leaving the dubs?

For all of our welcome posters, How many books did you have when you were a Dub?

Cheers, Ozzie

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Yeah, but has your library contents changed since leaving the dubs?

I don't have as many "World Atlas" Books. Only because they were lost along the way via moving around so much. I had a realy neat one that would be about 70 years old now.

It was the size of a table. Given to me by Jim Yarbers Mom (He played Ball for the Yankies)

His mom Dispizzzzed JWs with a passion but she use to bake brownies for me once a week and let me call her grandma.

Jim Yarber became a JW later on and would bring us gifts when he came back from base ball season/whatever.....My brother always got really cool stuff like MiTTs and game balls and I got Books

Those were special to me because of where they came from. But they were all lost in divorce stuff.

Other then that. My books haven't changed because of not being in the org. anylonger.

I didn't run out and start buying books on witchcraft or anything like that.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Ozzie,

The only JW books I had were: Things in which it is Impossible for God to lie; Life everlasting in Freedom & the NWT Bible.

Personal library included: Encycyopaedia Brittanica 20 volumes & other reference books about aeroplanes and steam trains.

Novels:

All Neville Shute's,

All Robert Ludlum's,

All James Michener's,

All Nicholas Montserrat's,

All Richmal Crompton's "William" books,

All Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" books,

+ dozens and dozens of others.

So about 250 I guess.

Englishman.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Rosalyn,

I saw your reference to Harvey Andrews, the writer and singer. I have most of his albums, a very insightful man indeed! I guess "The Soldier" will always be his best known work, it's downloadable on Audiogalaxy.

Here's the lyrics: The Soldier In a station in the city, a British soldier stood Talking to the people there, if the people would Some just stared in hatred and others turned in pain And the lonely British soldier, wished he was back home again 'Come join the British army' said the posters in his town 'See the world and have your fun, come serve before the Crown' The jobs were hard to come by and he could not face the dole So he took his country's' shilling and enlisted on the roll But there was no fear of fighting, the Empire long was lost Just ten years in the army, getting paid for being bossed Then leave a man who's experienced, a man who's made the grade A medal and a pension, some memories and a trade Then came the call to Ireland as the call has come before Another bloody chapter in an endless Civil War The priests they stood on both sides, the priests they stood behind Another fight in Jesus' name, the blind against the blind The soldier stood between them, between the whistling stones And then the broken bottles, that led to broken bones The petrol bombs that burned his hand, the nails that pierced his skin And wished that he had stayed at home surrounded by his kin The station filled with people, the soldier soon was bored But better in the station than where the people warred The room filled up with mothers, with daughters and with sons Who stared with itchy fingers at the soldier and his guns A yell of fear, the screech of brakes, a shattering of glass The window of the station broke to let the package pass The scream came from the mothers as they ran toward the door Dragging children crying from the bomb upon the floor The soldier stood and could not move, his gun he could not use He knew the bomb had seconds left, not minutes on the fuse He could not pick it up and throw it on the street There were far too many people there, too many running feet 'Take cover' yelled the soldier, 'take cover for your lives' And the Irishmen threw down their young and stood before there wives They turned toward the soldier, their eyes alive with fear 'For God's sake, save our children or they'll end their short lives here' The soldier moved towards the bomb, his stomach like a stone 'Why was this his battle, God, why was he alone?' He lay down on the package and he murmured one farewell To those at home in England, to those he loved so well He saw the sights of summer, felt the wind upon his brow The young girls in the city park, how precious were they now The soaring of the swallow, the beauty of the swan The music of the turning earth, so soon it would be gone The muffled soft explosion and the room began to quake The soldier blown across the floor, his blood a crimson lake They never heard him cry or shout, they never heard him moan And they turned their children's' faces from the blood and from the bone The crowds outside soon gathered, and the ambulances came To carry off the body of a pawn lost to the game And the crowd they clapped and jeered, and they sang their rebel songs One soldier less to interfere where he did not belong And will the children growing up, learn at their mothers knee The story of the soldier who bought their liberty Who used his youthful body as the means towards an end Who gave his life to those, who called him 'murderer' not 'friend'

Song by Harvey Andrews

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Eman,

You like a good story, I see!

All Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" books,

Me too! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

All Richmal Crompton's "William" books,

He was a real prat, wasn't he? Did you really like him?

other reference books about aeroplanes and steam trains

Me too!

Do ya remember the time when even the Borg were frowning on Noddy and Big Ears?

Cheers, Ozzie

• Prisca
    Prisca

I'm (was?) a Famous Five fan too!!!

BTW, my library has increased since I left the Borg, since I've got more time to read, and have a greater range of what I can read! I have also kept all my WTS books, in fact I started collecting some of the older ones.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I started collecting some of the older ones

Struth, Pris, you prefer the "old light"? Oh well, I s'pose you have to know the "old light" so's you know it when you see the "new light".

Cheers, Ozzieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ( I need a shiraz!)

• rosalyn
    rosalyn

enuffff already Ozzie

I am not waiting for the writing departments to ok this.

I am going to start counting........ books that is

I work at a library and staff gets first dibbs on the books that have been weeded from the collection and my collection at home has been growing for several years. I am so proud of it

un sister Rosalyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit