Ozzie's Weekend Poll #12

by ozziepost 51 Replies latest jw friends

• JWrobot
    JWrobot

1. NONE not even a dictionary!

I come from a diehard JW family. Was told as a child,"all we needed in life was provided by Society". What we needed from the world would be in the Awake.

My worldly uncle would visit us on the farm every week dropping off the latest TIME mag. I'd read it cover to cover out in the barn, thought it was the best mag. ever.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Hi OZ!

"11. More than 1,000"

about 350 non-JW religous books (e.g., new/old test. commentaries)

about 3000+ technical reference books and research journals; I had a bad habit of spending up to $6000 some years! I've brought it down to about $1800/year.

Edited by - cyberguy on 21 July 2002 22:10:56

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Since I was a child/adolescent when I was a dub my parents encouraged reading but only under their watchful eye...

I would say I probably had 21-40 books...however the library was one of my favorites places.

Now as a non dub adult I own 51-100 with nost of them on subject of art, paganistic/wiccan subjects and the classics. I still use the library when I get the chance. I would own more but alas the room I have for these is severely limited as it is.

Spice

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

When I was a child my mom signed me up in a book club. Don't know if it was when they first started those things Im assuming they have been around for generations. I remember the door-to-door encyclopedia sales men. My mom was always a softy and ordered a set about every 3 or 4 years.

I also had a set of books I no longer have, one of my wonderful in-laws took them from my house when my hubby and I were separated. They were a complete set of fairytales from years ago. They also included a two-volume set of "Rhymes" OLD Rhymes. You know the satanic ones about the "When the bough breaks the baby will fall" hehehehe. They were pretty scary stuff.

Anyone remember the dirtiest rhyme of all? It was called "My pussy"? Really! I use to always skip that one when reading them cuz I thought it was dirty. HAhahahaha. The entire rhyme sounded subliminal.

I could punch my hubby's sister in the mouth for taking those books. GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Plus I must have every medical book ever printed. Including the volumes that only doctors are supposed to have. Reference books.

I have a very large collection of Time Books and Readers Digest Books.(books that they sponsered)

Novels (dianetics I baught when it first came out) My mom said. "Oh hunny your not really going to read that garbage are you?"

Crime stories

• Mac
    Mac

About 300, not counting watchtower publications which I chose not to throw out, but, rather burn!

• Mac
    Mac

Plum,

Ya gotta love that L. Ron Hubbard. LOL

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

MAc, actually I thought is was pretty intertaining. I can see why so many people flocked too him.

I still believe there are some theroies of his that do make sense but no quite enough to keep me interested.

plum

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

Are we talking books we've bought, or books we've actually read?! Because my eyes are bigger than my appetite when it comes to books.

While an active witness, I remember constantly buying books thinking I'd have time to read them, then getting caught up in all my 'spiritual obligations' and never getting around to them.

I'd say I owned around 500 books all told. Maybe read half of them.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

My taste in reading comes and goes in spurts.

In the past two weeks I've read 4 books on crime.

Next month I might be in a mood to read autobiography's

Month after that I may be reading medical books. Or real estate law.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Hey Plum.

If youre going to read true crime make sure you Read Joseph Wambaughs "The Blooding" and "Echoes in the Darkness" . I especially liked Echoes in the darkness. Hard to believe people could behave so bloody Stupidly .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit