Serena Thanks Jehovah!

by Englishman 40 Replies latest jw friends

• D8TA
    D8TA

Did Serina's sister Venus ...thank her Jehovah for letting her loose?

D8TA

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Actually, I don't see anything wrong with thanking God, Buddha, Mohhamed, or the Great Pumpkin for your talents and good fortune. But, when it is thrust in everyone's face and stated as a badge of honor that only that individual may possess, it is no longer a cordial thanks, but rather an in your face insincere bragging.

Lew W

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Eman,

Yup, we've just seen it on prime time news here too. It's been shown on the Channel 9 Evening News and the "thanks to Jehovah" quote was shown prominently, in fact, it's ALL they showed of her post-match interview/speech.

It'll be interesting to see the reaction in Dubdom.

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 7 July 2002 4:35:45

• tdogg
    tdogg

Ha Ha HA HA HA HA -imagining JW's cringing while watching sportscenter.

AMNESIA: I think you miss the point of the critisism. Those girls choose to belong to a religion that holds certain beliefs and mandates certain behavior for it's members. That behaiour, even that way of thinking on William's behalf is clearly aginst the priniciples of the JW organisation. So are they JW's or are they not? There is no "straddling the fence" as the dubs like to say.

Why are ex-JWs a little bitter? Just ask all the former janitors and window washers.

• Wendy
    Wendy

Sorry, I do mind and will call attention to it when I see it. Take for example the September 11th killings. How many praised God that he let them out and they are alive today because of him. It begs for them to answer why he did not allow those out who ended up dieing. It is an arrogant thing to say and proclaim when there are horrible things happening everyday.

So if I see someone praising God, Jesus, Allah, Buddah, Goddess Sunshine etc, etc for a wonderful gift. I will be the first to ask why he has forsaken so many tripping over the less fortunate to bestow such "talents" on them. Why he cures some of cancer and lets others suffer. BAH! It reeks I tell ya, and will continue to say so. The only answer that they can return with, is God works in mysterious ways, well not only is it mysterious it is cruel. Why anyone would worship and praise a God who ignores heartfelt pleas is beyond me.

wendy

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

Wendy: I am with you on this one!

My daughter was very seriously ill when she was born - she did recover, although she will never be cured. The answer from those at the KH was that "she survived because we trusted in Jehovah".

I took that to the logical conclusion.

What about all those children who are listed in the May 94 Awake - the children who died because of refusing blood, because of following WT rules. THOSE children and their parents trusted in Jehovah - and yet they died. What is the difference? Weren't they trusting enough? Is the impartial God now behaving in VERY impartial way?

It didn't make sense. It still doesn't!

I left the religion - taking my daughter with me.

On a lighter note - I hope both Williams sisters were out in field service on Saturday morning before the match. And I hope that they are counselled by their local elders if playing recreational sport prevented them from prestudying the Watchtower for Sunday's meeting.

IF they are JWs then the same rules should apply.

Nowfree

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

dog:

AMNESIA: I think you miss the point of the critisism. Those girls choose to belong to a religion that holds certain beliefs and mandates certain behavior for it's members. That behaiour, even that way of thinking on William's behalf is clearly aginst the priniciples of the JW organisation. So are they JW's or are they not? There is no "straddling the fence" as the dubs like to say.
    They've chosen to belong to the JW religion and, unlike most of us in our lives as JWs, have also chosen how much of the religion they are willing to go along with and where they choose to draw the line in making decisions regarding what career goals they will pursue. I'm thinking a lot of the criticism they come in line for from both JWs and exs owes to the envy and jealousy that these young women generate because they are more independent-minded than most of us were as JWs and have been smart enough to have their religion on their own terms and not piss their lives away following to the letter, as you say, all of the "beliefs and mandates...for [its] members." I say good for them. Too bad most of us didn't and most present JWs don't have the courage to do the same.

Why are ex-JWs a little bitter? Just ask all the former janitors and window washers.
    LOL! Indeed. Indeed. Precisely my point.

AMNESIAN - (Sorry for the red font; couldn't figure how to get out of it)

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

So if I see someone praising God, Jesus, Allah, Buddah, Goddess Sunshine etc, etc for a wonderful gift. I will be the first to ask why he has forsaken so many tripping over the less fortunate to bestow such "talents" on them. Why he cures some of cancer and lets others suffer. BAH! It reeks I tell ya, and will continue to say so. The only answer that they can return with, is God works in mysterious ways, well not only is it mysterious it is cruel.
    Nobody's arguing this. At least I am not. What I am saying is that I, personally, am no longer so zealous in condemning what others choose to believe about God and the prayers he does or does not answer. Where I once had all the answers I now have few, if any. I have no way of proving to myself that God is healing anyone, feeding anyone, or is not handing out Grammy awards to his favorite recording artists. He hasn't shown me what he is or is not doing and neither has anyone else.

Why anyone would worship and praise a God who ignores heartfelt pleas is beyond me.
    And this is the sticking point, imo. Not whether someone is right or wrong in believing that God answers her prayer to win a tennis tournament but how she or anyone could, in good conscience, bring themselves to worship a God who does.

AMNESIAN

Edited by - AMNESIAN on 7 July 2002 16:4:26

Edited by - AMNESIAN on 7 July 2002 17:51:42

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

quote:

Venus Williams:

Well, we believe -- it's just like tennis. You can't just go once a month and expect your game to be on top. You have to reiterate everything. We believe in good association, association with fellow Witnesses, not becoming too involved with people that don't have the same beliefs and same values that we do. We go to meetings three times a week. They encourage us. You learn there, you learn more, just continue learning until you get a better understanding of things. I guess you are aware that we do house-to-house witnessing. I can't do that at all because I'm on the road. Getting more popular, I don't know if I can go house-to-house. I'm thinking about that.

They cant be baptized can they?

• teejay
    teejay

AMNESIAN,

Your first post? Loved it.

I am also delightfully amused by your later prescient comment that the Williams sisters worship Jah on their own terms, unlike many of us who lacked either the intelligence or courage to. That makes them far removed from "bums", a major faux pas on Ashi's part. (Where *is* Ashi, anyway?!! ) His and several of the other comments, smack of... oh... what is it....

On the other hand, I don't care for people who thank God for their own efforts. Or, in this case, the tremendous vision, effort and foresight on the part of parents who saw/see nothing but the best for their children and who are relentless in their pursuit of it. I didn't like it when Michael Chang did it some time ago after winning something or other; I don't like it when pro football players do it when a peculiar bounce of the ball leads to victory; and I don't like it when either of the Williams sisters do it. I think it trivializes god. But then, what do I care about THAT!!?? I've been known to trivialize god my own damn self!

It's like this, y'all: The young women are just that--young. In many ways they are inexperienced and particularly with respect to their religion of choice (and probably "god" in general) - nave. If thanking god for a victory is the worse crime that can be attributed to them (and I think it is), then they are doing quite well.

I'm proud of 'em, personally and I have nothing but love and high regard for Richard. If I can direct my daughter to womenhood as well as he has his, I'll die with a silly grin on my face.

Y'all Williamses? Keep doing what you're doing!! You got some fans out here... sho nuff!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit