Serena Thanks Jehovah!

by Englishman 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

If Jehovah has anything to do with competitive sports, then I suppose He does take sides and has His favorites.

• JanH
    JanH

So it was Jehovah that prescribed those steroids to her?

- Jan

• Farkel
    Farkel

It's good to know that Jehovah is a fan of tennis.

Farkel

• dedalus
    dedalus

Well, I don't know if Serena is a nice young lady or a bum, and I don't mind that she's a Witness -- heck, more Witnesses should be doing cool things like Serena (winning championships, designing clothes, what-have-you).

But it is very stupid of anyone thank God for stuff like that. But then, most people who believe in God are very stupid about the way they regard him. God, to most believers, is a hiccup, a cough, a knee-jerk afterthought in the blurry haze of the moment.

Oh well.

Dedalus

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey E-man,so if god helped Sirea win,the devil must have made Venus lose.It only makes sense..LOL..So did you have a good birthday?...OUTLAW

• minimus
    minimus

Does anybody know whether the William sisters are actually baptized?

• FRUSR8TD
    FRUSR8TD

For that matter does anyone know if they are really JW's....there are others that use the name Jehovah as well. My dads evangelical church even uses the name in some songs.

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Regardless your opinion of their religion or whomever they choose to believe deserves the credit for the success they enjoy, neither Venus nor Serena tallies anywhere approaching "bum" status. It's a thoughtless and damaging assessment of any young person in any circumstance in this difficult world, and particularly so in this case. Both Serena and Venus Williams have demonstrated themselves to be fine, upstanding young women of admirable talents and outstanding character for their tender ages and lack of worldly-wise experience. Any thinking parent who will admit the truth---Witness or non---should and would be proud to boast the likes of either or both as their own offspring.

Seems to me there's a bit of the fork tongue prattling around here. In one breath Witness parents are pilloried and their children pitied for the severely stunted development their children suffer as a result of blindly following the absurdly restrictive lives imposed on them by their parents, their peers and the WT organization. Yet those independent-minded families who eschew the organization's most-outrageous blatherings and encourage their youth to pursue their ambitions and develop their talents ---even as they "faithfully serve Jehovah" ---come in for the same degree of unfair ridicule and bashing.

Take whatever cheap shots you will at these two very young people still finding their way in a complex society, or their mom and dad, but I'd like to see the hands of those here who, as parents of/twenty-something year-old JWs (or Baptists or Catholics or Hindus or Hare Krishnas, for that matter!) had/have the foresight and determination and drive this family has demonstrated to encourage their children to build satisfying lives for themselves even in face of oppressive WTS and JW peer pressure. We might also have a show of hands of those of us who, instead, spend time here pissing and moaning about the control we conceded to the organization for decades to regrettable and everlasting detriment to ourselves and/or our children.

Whatever you may think of the Witness religion, you cannot deny that there would not be the level of misery and sheer wretchedness among those who choose to remain within its ranks were there more individuals who were willing to decide for themselves just where to draw the line on their consumption of the "food at the proper time" at the expense of a happy and fulfilling life. I simply don't see what there is to criticize about that---especially on a forum such as this, of all places.

Just as with JWs, so it seems with ex-JWs: there's simply no winning so don't bother trying. Follow your heart and damn the naysayers.

And for the record, no, I don't think Jehovah or Jesus or Buddha or Allah gives a fig newton about who wins the World Cup, the Masters, the Super Bowl, the NBA championship, Wimbledon, or the Oscar for best foreign language film. That's just my opinion, though. My opinion is also that it does not make one a "bum" who happens to disagree with me and thanks his chosen diety when s/he, on a given day, finds him-/herself the victor in his/her chosen competition.

AMNESIAN

Edited by - AMNESIAN on 6 July 2002 17:41:58

• Wendy
    Wendy

I have to parrot the others who have mentioned how sick it is to hear ANY sport figure, rock star, rap artist, etc give praise to Allah, Jehovah, Jesus, etc. It reeks IMO, to think God would reach down and touch ones with an athletic gift, yet leave so many to die of disease and hunger.

wendy

• minimus
    minimus

If you decide for yourself where to draw the line on the consumption of the food at the proper time you are considered independent, rebellious like Korah, and possibly apostate....btw...I love the williams sisters!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit