Why do they go back?

by zenpunk 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Couso
    Couso

Hey there all!

Um from my viewpoint......a lot of xjws return purely beacuse of the comfort zone aspect. It is soo easy to remain in the organization purely for the 'social', so called friendship aspect, from the viewpoint that wherever you go... u are guaranteed a network of 'friendships'.....an instant social group..trust me..i did it. It takes a hell of a lot of guts to take that step out.of the comfort zone....which soo many people that i know of....have and are remaining in the organization for solely that reason.

Anyway thats just my opinion.

Take Care,

• Englishman
    Englishman

When I left the JW's I was in severe financial straits and so desperate for money that I drove a taxi so that I could collect money immediately. I worked 24 hours on and 24 hours off for 6 months.

One of my JW relatives offered me 1000 pounds if I would promise to attend the meetings for 3 months, before deciding whether I wanted in or out. In 1972 that was a lot of money.

Englishman.

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

To tdogg,

The incident is listed in the NTSB list of aircraft incidents and the situation was described as "rollover turbulence" where there was 1 injury (the air hostess). There's no mention of a tornado. However, once we reached the ground we were immediately taken to a separate room (lawsuit control I'm sure) and this was the explanation that was given. At the time I thought it was a load of crap and that there was a mechanical problem with the plane. But, when I got to the hotel I put on the weather channel and found out that there was some tornado activity, though there weren't any "touchdowns". I've been to Indiana many times and I think they get some pretty severe weather.

• TheStar
    TheStar

All these answers given are correct and show the various reasons why many go back after they have been out. Someone of you have mentioned that they go back to escape the shunning, to be able to associate with friends and family, others go back because it provides a social need and there are many other reasons one would go back to being a dub after getting out. The bottom line is that those that go back for whatever reason are not "Mentally" able to let go of the religion. They need it like a drug, as someone has already mentioned.

This is why I feel it is so important for those that get out to work on the deprogramming process as well as all the other psychological stuff one has to work in order to truely get yourself out, sometimes that requires seeing a therapist. This and a good support group such as this forum are essential, along with an education. I strongly feel that without these three things dubs are most likely to go back.

• MarchOn
    MarchOn

In most of the cases I know of that people went back into the org. it was when things were going very badly in their lives. Whether they had lost a loved one and thought of the promise of resurrection or they themselves were having health problems, depression. Of course world events play an active part of thinking, "I better get back in before its too late". How many people had that thought run through there mind after Sept. 11th? Even people that were never in the org. were talking about going to church or praying, things they had never dreamed of doing. Of course with all of the doom and gloom that has been drilled into our brains fleeting thoughts of going back sometimes happen and then when you calm down and think rationally about it you realize where it is all comimg from. Then there is everything everyone else has mentioned of reasons people go back. This is much like a divorce, why sometimes do people that have gotten divorced hook back up with each other ? When those thoughts of hooking back up cross your mind remind yourself that there is a very good reason you divorced to begin with and don't look back.

• Kjell Hedblom
    Kjell Hedblom

ZENPUNK!!

You did the right thing! About that sisters comments to u,I just say.Its all imagination,there is no sign!

Hugs from Kjell H

• Carmel
    Carmel

How many ways can you spell F E A R ?

• Matty
    Matty

Carmel, fear is good! How many times have we been told that we should be sh*t scared of God's impending wrath?! I get very confused over people who leave the religion and yet still believe that Jehovah's Witnesses have the truth, aren't they frightened of the consequences? I can envisage that these are the ones that are very likely to go back because they haven't really exorcised the religion from their minds, they have chosen not to. How can anyone leave an organization that still has, in their opinion, the only hope for mankind?

Hey Couso, don't wait another 7 months to post again mate!

• Imbue
    Imbue

Many people can't live with their own choices and direction. It is not a weakness in my opinion to ask for help or seek guidance. At one time in my life I came to realize that my way of living wasn't working. So, I found another way to live. I learned to listen to what works and apply it in my life.

The one thing the society does provide some JWs is a sense of purpose with their lives. Many that leave the org may not find another purpose in life beyond everyday survival. This can leave one feeling empty and needy. This is where the org comes back to into the picture. An individual is especially susceptible if their major life decisions don't make them happy or perhaps ruin their lives.

Yes, some return because they need a sense of purpose in their lives they haven't found elsewhere!

Edited by - Imbue on 1 July 2002 23:51:6

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit