Why do they go back?

by zenpunk 28 Replies latest jw friends

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I always hear at least two stories a year about someone I know who's left the "truth" goes back despite the trauma surrounding their departure. This morning I heard yet another story. A few years ago and elder's wife in my former UK congregation abruptly left the organization, surprising everyone and getting a big DF in the process. And now, three years later she's suddenly back, working hard to get reinstated. And I just wonder why? Is it that these individuals don't have a support system outside of the organization? It makes me fear that, even after 7 years, this could happen to me. In fact it almost did last year....

Last August I was on a flight from LaGuardia to Indianapolis when the 22-seat regional jet flew over the top of a funnel cloud (unexpected tornado activity) and flipped upside down. I was seated accross from the galley and saw the flight attendant fall to the ceiling. Grabbing on to the seat rests (everyone else had seatbelts on) I looked out the window, saw the ground above me and saw that we were falling rapidly. Alarms were going off and people were screaming. And I begged for God to save me (it's instinctive you know). The pilot was ex-military and he pulled us out of it in barrel-roll fashion (whew). When I got back I was plagued with nightmares so my mother had a sister my age come and talk to me. I hounded her with questions - poor girl. However, when she answered my questions by saying I should just accept the society for now as the truth, have a study, and everything will fall into place - I ended the conversation and said "this is not for me".

One of my closest friends decided a few months ago that she needs to get back in the organization. She found a field service territory on the ground one day and took it as a sign. And, what's more, she feels she needs to purge herself to the elders (of her sins) - they should have a field day with that. And, alls I have to ask is: Why does this happen?

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

Zenpunk- If you are asking for everyones two cents worth- here is mine, no charge :-) I think that people go back- not to be FULLY active, but to not be shunned & to have some sort of ties left. I know I went back- because my family- I got reinstated to take label off- then never went back. As far as the airplane story- that would shock ANYONE! That would draw 99.9% of people to GOD. Yes, go back to GOD- but not in the Witness organization. Find him without all the BS & GUILT. The witnesses are a cult- and once you get near- it is like a vacuum- they suck you in- and after awhile- you believe it all again. Find god- pray to god- thank him for saving your life. But, realize you left for a reason, you know it is not the ONLY direct line to GOD. Pray for guidance. He will show you. Best wishes-MELISSA

• ISP
    ISP

Those that return probably never 'left'. Most that leave do not return as bourne out by the figures.

ISP

• Francois
    Francois

Basic insecurity. There are no atheists in foxholes so they say.

My niece was sexually abused by a JW elder who is a little godlette in his neck of the woods. She's having a helluva time trying to have a normal married life. And she's been out of da troof for a while.

My boneheaded sister tells her, "If you were going to the Kingdom Hall, and out in service, and studying, you'd be a lot happier and all these problems would clear right up." I want to strangle her. What she's saying in essence is that there is indeed spontaneous recovery from post-traumatic stress disorder. If that turns out to be so in the case of my niece, it will be the first time in recorded history it has happened.

So another reason is a grinding ignorance plus a large dash of stupidity. A failure of reason. A collapse of logic. It makes no sense.

However if you remember what happened to Patty Hearst, you can gain some insight into the phenomona. Patty Hearst eventually came around to the point of view of her tormenters and assisted them in robbing a bank - for which she did some jail time. I forget exactly what this syndrome is called, but it involves becoming identified with and supportive of your abusers.

In short - it's a sickness of the mind.

$0.02.

Francois

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Religion, like any good opiate, numbs the pain and takes the edge off of everyday life with the reassuring illusion that a Daddy in the Sky will make it all better someday. Some people are able to go cold turkey and accept the world as it is, others try but find themselves unable to carry on and seek once again the soothing embrace of Soma.

• anewlife
    anewlife

I completely understand your question....why do they go back. My thoughts on the matter are that, like you mentioned, they don't have a strong enough support system out of the organization. The question to ask is, What was their relationship with fellow witnesses when they were in the borg? Did they have some 'need' (usually emotional) that was met while a JW? If this is the case, as I believe a lot of dysfunctional people grab hold of the whole JW line of thinking and the 'family aspect' and 'sense of belonging' theory, this would be their reason for going back. They often have this 'need' to be met and because the organization was once 'comfort' to them, they give up hope outside the organization and 'fall' back into the JW line of thinking. When you think about it...it's a pretty good brainwashing job they do on people....it goes so far as to reel a lot of them back in if they don't 'cleanse' their minds while they're away. Another question is, How bad did they really want out when they left? If this was just an act of temporary rebellion or laziness as simply not wanting to attend, then this too will also pull them back in.

I keep myself in check periodically and ask myself these questions so I will know if I'm truly 'cleansing' my mind of the years of brainwashing so I don't get caught back up in it again.

anewlife....and so far....a better one!

• nancee park
    nancee park

They don't try to get new friends.

And they don't know the things

we know about the pedophile

scandal etc. Who will tell them?

Who will point them to support

groups for new friends?

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Everyone that I know got reinstated for one reason: Didn't want to be shunned by family.

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

zenpunk

Do you feel that this turbulence was some sort of sign and it would not happen if an active JW would be taking the same flight or any flight in that sense?

Just my 2 eurocents worth.

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

Hi Haereticus - No - I realize it would have happened no matter who I was. For all I know, an active JW may have been on that flight with me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit