Does being called an 'apostate' upset you?

by wholewheat 109 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

What's an "apostate"?

I think it's in the vernacular, RR. In 'proper' English, it's "in a poor state".

I think this "whole wheat" (or should that be "less wheat" ? ) character would probably agree!

Cheers, ozzie

• COMF
    COMF
    Do apostates offer 'anger management control' courses for other apostates?

Seriously, yes, in an unscheduled, hit-and-miss kind of way. Since you simply ask about the anger with no acknowledgement of its source or how understandable it is that exJWs would have it, your question smacks of a smug holier-than-thou attitude of condescension. Be that as it may, the causes of the anger are many and real, and, yes, we do help each other with it on forums like this.

• LB
    LB

:You all call each other apostates, so why should you all get upset if I call you apostates? We don't. Why do you get upset when we call you "asshole?"

Bullseye

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    There have been a few reasonable answers on this thread

Hmmmm, who's doing the judging? By what or whose standards? Watchtower Legal perhaps? Or Service Department?

Very subjective wheat.

Ozzie (of the whole-grain lovers class)

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    It's my recently being totally cut off from my grandkids and having them look at their grandpa that they love very much.......and labeling me as.........an apostate.

Gumby, my heart aches to hear this. If I couldn't see my grandsons, I would be very upset, especially if the reason was some BS doctrine of a cult over someone not wanting to belong anymore. I'm so thankful that neither of my daughters gave the dubs time of day when I encouraged them to join with me.

Nowhere in the Bible does it call for disowning your own family simply because they no longer conform to the group. If I believed in a fiery hell, I would certainly expect the Watchtower to burn there for eternity.

Meanings of words change, as the dubs did with apostate. Back in the 1800s, you could get punched for calling someone a son of a gun, meaning their Dad was an outlaw. Today, it is a friendly phrase. No one uses the word apostate with so much hate as does the JWs. They, and only they, have made it a hate filled term.

When I hear things like how loving the dubs are, I want to vomit! They are taught more hate than anyone I ever associated with.

I hope you can get through to your kids and help them see that seperating you and the grandkids is doing more damage to them than allowing them to be around us 'postates. Dubs are teaching them to hate. You would show them love. The only way to eleminate the hate in the world is to start teaching love, no more hate.

((((((((((((((((GUMBY))))))))))))))

Lew W.

• SYN
    SYN

This site is the only place I've ever been called an Apostate (IIRC, it was YouKnow who called me a Dirty Apostate Dog), and I must say, it hurt my feelings quite a bit

In RL, I've never been called an Apostate. The day is coming, though. I just consider it a silly label that you can use to frighten 6 million people on Earth with by telling them "I'm an Apostate". Plus, I'm proud to stand against the Tower.

Generally, on this site I called people Apostates all the time, but in a friendly, back-slapping sorta way. And I get it back in kind! This place rocks!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

This site is the only place I've ever been called an Apostate ..... Generally, on this site I called people Apostates all the time, but in a friendly, back-slapping sorta way.

Well, we do have Apostafests (or, Apostofests), don't we?

Like you say, SYN, "this place rocks!"

Cheers, Ozzie (of the opposites class)

Edited by - ozziepost on 30 June 2002 10:32:49

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Ozzie,

Haven't you heard?

TRUE Apostates have Apostafests,

While counterfeit, pretend, fallen Apostates have Apostofests!

Or is it the other way around?

A "fallen apostate"... ohhhhh, now that >>IS<< scary, kids!!

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 30 June 2002 10:58:38

• IamI
    IamI

I have never been called an apostate, yet by the societies definition of an apostate I would be one.

I must say that it does bother me when they say smugly that I have been "influenced by apostates" or when they say I am "doubting" or have "questions". This implicitly puts them at a higher level since they feel that they have all the answers. I hate to think what my family is telling all my old friends and other members of the family, but I can imagine.

The worst part is that when they finally realize that they were wrong and the "apostates" were right it changes nothing. Once an apostate, always an apostate.

I am I

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Now that's pretty profound for a Sunday evening, I am I. Looks like you're going to fit in just fine.

Welcome aboard, mate.

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit