PEDOPHILES are to WTS as flies are to honey?

by Focus 173 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• waiting
    waiting

Hey JT,

even the pioneers have a card that they carry which has thier EMPOYEE NUMBER

I REcall after giving the card to this one sister she asked :

"Am I just a number to the Society?"

Ask most any employee of a large corporation, Ford? who has employee numbers the same question - usually they say "yup - and as long as I get paid, don't really care."

Did the pioneer sister even realize that she was an employee? An unpaid employee? At least persons with employee numbers for Ford get paid and retirement programs. They know who they're working for and it ain't God. The WTBTS would seem to want us to believe that Ford pays and God gets it for free from respective employees with id cards.

waiting

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hi Tina!

Nice to see you posting here!

And you're right: JT did do a good job of wading through all my verbose rhetoric!

Expatwafflybrit.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi expat,
    Thanks,I enjoy your posts as well!!
    I call JT the 'theo-cra-tic Slic-O-matic lol
    He sees wts 'meat'(in any season) skims off the gravy,trims off the fat( of verbose rhetoric) and slices that meat right down to show the 'virus-laden' serving.......what one is really getting...Cheers,Tina......(thinkin bse and fmd right now lol)

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Friend:

For that reason the Society is very often unaware of specific local problems.
    It may well be that the society is unaware of specific local problems (Bro. X's wife wears skirts to mid-thigh and it's very distracting etc.), but the child abuse situation is a widespread problem. It beggars belief that the society is simply not aware of what the elders are doing in these situations.

I do not doubt what you say elders are told on the phone by the legal dept. But, "nudge, nudge, wink, wink". Elders are company men: they will know what this really means. The dozens, even hundreds of cases being documented where elders actively discouraged disclosure shows this to be so. What is said to the elders on the phone is merely for form, a tactic for the society spin doctors. To put it another way: the victim has a free choice to report in the same way I have a free choice to give a mugger my wallet when he's holding a gun to my head.

Again, there will be no instance in writing of the society actively discouraging reporting of serious criminal behaviour (I cannot recall any articles actively encouraging it, either). In this case, the society doesn't have to put it blatantly in writing. It knows that the tactics mentioned in my last post will accomplish it's desires.

Laws of the land typically would not hold the Society to that high of a standard.
    One thing I should have clarified is that I'm not commenting on responsibility from a legal standpoint. I have no legal training. The finer points of the society's legal position will no doubt be decided in the courts by better minds than mine. My comments are from a moral viewpoint. To return to my employee illustration: I may not be held legally accountable for my employees misconduct, but because I appointed and placed that employee, I must accept moral responsibility for the damage caused my wronged client. I must also accept the consequences when the client tells me to get stuffed. This may seem harsh, but when I accepted the advantages of becoming an employer, I also assumed the responsibilities.

The society appointed elders. They are morally responsible for the effects of their appointments, and should not attempt to avoid the consequences when their appointees "screw up". When they accepted the privileges of leadership over JW's, they also assumed the responsibilities.

Certainly in those cases the Society does not view a person as "spiritually weak" because they report a serious crime to legitimate law enforcement officials.
    The society may not officially promote the view that reporters are spiritually weak. But that is cold comfort to the reporter suffering the snubbing, unpleasant comments and emotional coldness of the other menbers of their congregation. The society knows this will happen: silence inplies consent.

If you learned that a JW had abused your daughter but were concerned that reporting to law enforcement might make your daughter’s circumstances worse, would you feel free
    and comfortable seeking pastoral help from congregational elders if you knew they were obligated to report the crime whether you wanted it reported or not? My answer was in general terms, however the principles would apply to this specific situation. If my daughter were abused, then:

1)I would not feel free and comfortable seeking help from the elders under any circumstances, as they would be utterly unqualified to deal with the situation. Whether they are obligated to report is irrelevant to how I would deal with the situation.

2)In my opinion (I'm sorry if anyone finds this offensive), any parent who seeks help from elders before secular authorities and agencies is failing their child. Any parent who does not wish to report the offense is failing both their child, and the children of others.

3) Your comment in your question about reporting to law enforcement agencies making my daughter's situation worse, and your subsequent comment about victims being afraid to seek out pastoral help because of subsequent secular involvment, reflects the society's conditioning that secular authorities and agencies are "part of Satan's world" and are therefore to be avoided. This is part of the society's unofficial policy.

4) I would certainly not feel free and comfortable talking to elders knowing that coercive pressure will be put upon me and my family to hush the whole situation up so as not to "bring reproach upon Jehovah". The cases being compiled and documented show that this is what happens.

Expatbrit.

Edited by - expatbrit516 on 4 March 2001 11:33:52

• JT
    JT

TR

Says

Since the assertion has been made that the local elder's actions and the Society's policies aren't always one in the same, is it known how many elders are removed for their bad advise? Or their correct advise that goes against the Society? In my experience, I've never seen an elder removed. I've seen elders step down for their own reasons, but not because of the quality of their councel to the congregation.

Excellent point while Friend is attempting to slice a hair off the leg of a fly—SMILE

the fact remains that the wt KNOWS THEY GOT JACKA$$ ELDERS WHO stay on the job as it were

Case in point noitce the DIRECT INSTRUCTIONS elders were given when they Jackup a case out

It is point #6

Can you imagine the legal problems that any other company "Firestone" would be in if they told it's staff not to record that their tires would blow when hot

It here we see clear examples of what would happen if these elders were called into court

They would LIE THAT THEY GOT INSTRUCTIONS FROM WT ON ANY CASES

We often times think in the context of western courts, but consider who the wt would handle such cases in courts that don't work on the western world format

Man elders would be on the stand just lying thru their teeth and for what reason

TO PROTECT MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Below is a repost with the instruction that elders received to make sure that Mother Org is in no way responibile

Do you recall the opening of Mision Impossible where after they were told of the new assignment that

IF CAUGHT WE WILL DISAVOW ANY KNOWLEDGE OF YOU

Well wt is the same way--------- they have already told all their dumb elders that if you get caught
    You will not have anything in writing that will connect us to show that what you did was what we told you're- on your own CHARLIE

We don't know you’re A$$

You are Up Creek with No Paddle or Boat!!!!!!!!!

#######################################################################################################################################################################

REPOST
    http://www.star.net/People/~docbob/df_forms.html

What Not To Put On Disfellowshipping
    Forms

During the Kingdom Ministry Schools that were held during November and December of
    1994, elders in the United States were given information that was to be written into their
    "Pay Attention To Yourselves And To All The Flock" book. This information concerned the
    S77 and S79 forms that local judicial committees use to report disfellowshippings to the
    branch office in Brooklyn. The following was read to the elders, twice, for them to write
    word for word into their books. Since the assertion has been made that the local elder's actions and the Society's policies aren't always one in the same, is it known how many elders are removed for their bad advise? Or their correct advise that goes against the Society? In my experience, I've never seen an elder removed. I've seen elders step down for their own reasons, but not because of the quality of their councel to the congregation.

Six Expressions That Should Not Be Used on S77 and S79 Forms

1. Anything alluding to or naming one of the Society's attorneys

2. Any mention of the Legal Department

3. Any comments referring to direction from the Society

4. Any comments mentioning anyone other than the committee itself as a
    possible influence in the decision reached

5. Any comments that might suggest to someone with a critical eye that the
    committee did not reach its decision on its own but, instead, somehow
    yielded to the influence of an outside party

6. Any comments indicating that the elders mishandled the case or committed
    any error in the investigation or the judicial committee process.

I will now take these points one at a time and pose some questions and make some
    comments about them.

1. Anything alluding to or naming one of the Society's attorneys 2. Any
    mention of the Legal Department

The first two points are closely related, so I will take them together. Normally, the Society's
    Legal Department would be consulted only under very unusual circumstances. There
    would not likely be any inclination for the judicial committee to mention either the Society's
    Legal Department or their attorneys by name on the S77 or S79 forms unless they had
    been consulted on that case. If the Legal Department had been consulted, then it would
    have had some effect on the conduct and possibly the outcome of the judicial hearing.
    That being so, why is the Society telling the elders on the judicial committee not to mention
    them if they had to be consulted?

3. Any comments referring to direction from the Society

Why are the elders told not to mention it when every aspect of the judicial process is
    conducted according to direction from the Society?

Go to Watchtower Observer , press the button for "Pay Attention to Yourself and all the
    Flock" and look at Units 5a and 5b to see how precisely the Watchtower Society directs the
    elders in their conducting judicial matters. Having been an elder for many years, I can
    attest to the accuracy of what is presented there.

LATE BREAKING NEWS!! - Since this page was first developed, it seems that a
    lawyer from the Watchtower Society contacted the Internet Service Provider of the
    man who had the "Pay Attention" book on his web page and threatened them with a
    lawsuit if they did not remove those portions of the "Pay Attention" book.

This proscription against mentioning and direction from the Society, presumably includes
    not referring to any comments referring to direction from the Society not to mention
    direction from the Society. But I have to ask, why does the Society not want the judicial
    committee to mention this direction from the Society?

4. Any comments mentioning anyone other than the committee itself as
    a possible influence in the decision reached

Notice that there is nothing that says that the committee cannot be influenced by someone
    else when trying to come to a decision. The elders are just told not to mention it if there
    was any such influence. I would think that the most likely sources of outside influence
    would be elders who were not serving on the committee who might be related to, or be
    especially close friends with, the accused, or perhaps the circuit of district overseer.

This leaves the way open for circuit or district overseers, who are directly appointed by the
    Society and thus are its direct representatives, to exercise influence in a judicial situation
    and never be called to task for it. At that point, the local elders are left with total
    responsibility for their decision.

Why doesn't the Society admonish the elder not to allow anyone outside the committee to
    influence them rather than tell them not to report it if such influence was exercised?

5. Any comments that might suggest to someone with a critical eye that
    the committee did not reach its decision on its own but, instead,
    somehow yielded to the influence of an outside party

Who, with a critical eye, would have access to these forms? They are for internal use only.
    Even the local elders who were not on the judicial committee that handled the case in
    question are not supposed to see them. One possibility is that a friend within the
    congregation would somehow gain access to them and call the committee to task for
    yielding to an outside influence. Another possibility is that the Society is worried about
    these forms either being seized or subpoenaed.

Again, the judicial committee members are not told to disallow any outside influence, but
    just not to put it on the report if it occurs.

6. Any comments indicating that the elders mishandled the case or
    committed any error in the investigation or the judicial committee
    process.

Is this a problem? Does the Society receive disfellowshipping forms that say "We
    disfellowshipped this person, despite the fact that we mishandled his case."?

Of course, on the other hand why would a body of elders appoint a brother to be an elder,
    much less to a judicial committee, if he had no better sense than to put that he had
    mishandled a judicial case on forms that go to Brooklyn?

Other Related Information

Here are some items from my notes from various meetings that were conducted from
    outlines supplied by the Society.:

September 1987 meeting with circuit and district overseer in connection with circuit
    assembly. "Protect the organization from 'legal exposure' by adhering to organizational
    procedure in judicial affairs."

From the same meeting: "Confidentiality - failure to keep can cause loss of respect, legal
    problems, may destroy claims of ecclesiastical privilege in court."

Jan 1988 KM school - Similar admonition about preserving ecclesiastical privilege by
    maintaining confidentiality in judicial and shepherding situations

September 1989 meeting with circuit and district overseer in connection with circuit
    assembly: "Confidentiality - don't make statements to secular authorities without direction
    from the Society. If subpoenaed - contact Society. In cases of child abuse or serious
    criminal offense, contact the Society."

Some Observations

It appears to me that legal concerns have become a very high priority for the Watchtower
    Society despite the fact that, as far as I have been able to ascertain, there has not been a
    successful lawsuit over a disfellowshipping since Olin Moyle in the 1940's. From the six
    items mentioned above, and from other indications, I get the impression that the Society is
    trying to establish some kind of legal firewall between the local judicial committees and the
    Society.

This would keep any potential legal action at the local level where the pockets are shallow
    and out of Brooklyn where they are extremely deep.

The Society encourages congregations and circuits to put their excess funds "on deposit"
    with the Society so they can be used. I know that our circuit had about $10,000 on deposit
    with the Society as of a couple of years ago. This makes funds available to the Society to
    use (at no interest, by the way) but it also has the effect to making artificially shallow
    pockets at the local level where any legal action would likely be confined.

Many Kingdom Halls are mortgaged with the Society (with interest). This makes the Society
    the primary lienholder. If a local congregation was successfully sued and a lien was placed
    on the Kingdom Hall, it would be second to the primary lien held by the Society.

So it appears to me that the Society want to have it both ways. On the one hand, they want
    to closely control every aspect of the operation of the congregations. On the other, if any
    legal difficulties occur, they expect the local congregation to absorb them.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me by e-mail at:
    [email protected]

Return to Doctor Bob's Home Page

• JT
    JT

Frenchy says:
    That's when I told him that there were two sets of rules then, a written one and an unwritten one. He didn't like me much after that but I pushed him until he finally said it in front of the body.

So all this hair splitting about what that stated policy actually is and is not is really quite silly. It doesn't matter what the stated policy is. There is where the quibbling exists. What matters is what is being done or not being done. The stated policy is there only for the lawyers

+++++++++++++++==

well stated, Frenchy most Bethel Heavies and the guys on the road are Experts at splittting Hairs
    it has little to do with what happens when the Rubber hits the road as it were

the entire problem in my view can be summed up not in some stated or unstated policy, but in the MINDSET OF JW-

case in point i often visit Law Firms all over washington dc- hundreds of them and if you go like in to the kitchen area they ave on diplay thier Gov Mandated sign stating that

THIS WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER BLAH BLAH BLAH

Well "IN PRINT" it says to me as a black man i have as good of a chance of making it into the Partnership as any other white guy

but in the real world being a black man i know that sign as very little to do with the MINDSET that this firm fosters many tims

so I will tell you up front you will LOSE THE BATTLE with Friend when it comes to HAIRSPLITTING and that is why i feel so sorry for the poor guy --he misses the forest for the trees

so sad

just my 2
    JT

• JT
    JT

Hi Jt!!
    Good to see you!! You're posts are always right on the money,you wade thru the rhetoric and break it down to what it simply and really says/means,Thanks,Tina

##########
    I just believe in calling a SPADE A SPADE-- smile

thanks for the kind words

• JT
    JT

Waiting says

Ask most any employee of a large corporation, Ford? who has employee numbers the same question - usually they say "yup - and as long as I get paid, don't really care."

Did the pioneer sister even realize that she was an employee? An unpaid employee? At least persons with employee numbers for Ford get paid and retirement programs. They know who they're working for and it ain't God. The WTBTS would seem to want us to believe that Ford pays and God gets it for free from respective employees with id cards.

#################

No one could have put it better than you just did-

sad to say the poor sister still works for WT Inc

• Friend
    Friend

Expatbrit

In your case my belief was that I was engaging a person that would honestly address a discussion. Honestly addressing a discussion includes giving straightforward answers to straightforward questions. To illustrate one critical problem facing the issue under discussion (child abuse among JWs) and criticisms leveled, I have asked one particular question of you two times. The first time you completely ignored the question, and your secondary attempt at responding to it shows why; you apparently do not want to answer the question straightforwardly, which is dishonest conversation. The question asked was:

"If you learned that a JW had abused your daughter but were concerned that reporting to law enforcement might make your daughter’s circumstances worse, would you feel free and comfortable seeking pastoral help from congregational elders if you knew they were obligated to report the crime whether you wanted it reported or not?"

The first part of your reply says:

1) I would not feel free and comfortable seeking help from the elders under any circumstances, as they would be utterly unqualified to deal with the situation. Whether they are obligated to report is irrelevant to how I would deal with the situation.
    That reply, Expatbrit, is no less than a non-answer. It deals with not even one item of the question asked! You simply dodge the question.

The second part of your reply says:

2) In my opinion (I'm sorry if anyone finds this offensive), any parent who seeks help from elders before secular authorities and agencies is failing their child. Any parent who does not wish to report the offense is failing both their child, and the children of others.
    This is yet another non-answer because you have not addressed the reality of the circumstance, a reality that is felt and played out often whether among JWs or other communities. You again dodge the question.

The third part of your reply says:

3) Your comment in your question about reporting to law enforcement agencies making my daughter's situation worse, and your subsequent comment about victims being afraid to seek out pastoral help because of subsequent secular involvment, reflects the society's conditioning that secular authorities and agencies are "part of Satan's world" and are therefore to be avoided. This is part of the society's unofficial policy.
    This is yet another dodge. I was not asking you about Society policy but rather about the effects to a victim and/or parents of a given disposition in the face of a certain given policy. Again you fail to honestly reply, and I think you know it.

The fourth and final part of your reply says:

4) I would certainly not feel free and comfortable talking to elders knowing that coercive pressure will be put upon me and my family to hush the whole situation up so as not to "bring reproach upon Jehovah". The cases being compiled and documented show that this is what happens.
    This last response of yours borders on hallucinogenic reasoning; it completely avoids the specific context of the question, which context happens to be just the opposite of what your reply pretends to answer! You respond to something that is not even present, which is hallucinogenic reasoning. How ridiculous.

In your four replies to my very simple question you have demonstrated a willingness to indulge in several forms of fallacious reasoning, including: shifting meanings, ad numerum, appealing to anecdotal evidence, ad nauseam, and more! And to what end have you done this? For what? Do you suppose it helps things that people avoid dealing with real and legitimate questions, instead finding some weak straw man to tear down instead of dealing with what is put before them?

Your last response demonstrates quite well why much potential achievement will in all likelihood be lost in the most current media blitz regarding our subject. A loss will be incurred because persons are so bent upon some pet idea that they forget or refuse to deal what real circumstances, which is what my question was about. I will not ask you again to answer the simple question where "pastoral" and "congregational elders" could just as easily have been substituted with "medical" and "doctors." Since you apparently did not want to answer the question (but only reply) then you demonstrate yourself to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Too bad.

To others

You many think that my bases of discussion on this subject is nitpicky because I choose to deal with the details of this subject. If that is your feelings then you fail to realize that successfully dealing with difficult issues (indeed most issues) is done in the details. My simple question to Expatbrit was but one example of a detail that hardly anyone has taken the time to explore, but it is a detail having potentially great impact on this most serious issue under consideration. There are other details that have been brought up here too, but it appears that no one wants to address those either. What a pity!

Friend

Edited by - Friend on 4 March 2001 14:11:22

• JT
    JT

Friend

I have often enjoyed your post and you are correct the "Devil is in the details"

The problem you fail to realize is what happens when the "Tire hits the Pavement"

I too at one time could quote page and paragraph on Organizational Procedures

In Fact when I was at bethel my Mentor RP Johnson and JR Brown taught me well

RP always told me there are 2 thing that make you valuable to the Society

1. :Love the Brothers
    2. and know Org Procedures like the back of your hand- WHILE YOU MAY NOT BE LIKED you will always be RIGHT cause you will have the Society standing behind you

I would not even dare to try and hold a candle to your ability to present Org Policy- for
    YOU know it like the back of your hand

After looking back over all my yrs as a jw I have come to the conclusion that the Core Problem with JW is the Foundation that they are built on.

And I don't see the situation getting any better in the yrs to come due to this Core Dogma of "WE and ONLY WE speak for God"

IN FACT I THINK the sharpest elders will continue to leave while those guys who are left will be guys who a few yrs ago would not have been put in charge of Mags

I realize that you have shared with many of us here on the Net that you don't really share that view as often times presented by the Org.

I see it like this:

Friend you are a Medical Dir of a large hospital and you have taken guys who work in cleaning laundry, plumbing shop etc and promoted them to Medical Surgeons

You gave them some booklets on medicine and reassured them that they are duly trained and qualified to do surgery. As folks come into the hospital you reassure them that these guys have been trained at the finest medical schools on the face of the earth, at the feet of world renown doctors

Then you put them in the operating room and like DUHHHHHHHHH they have no idea of what they are doing

It is much the same in wt- I mean let's be honest

if there are 150,000 elders worldwide how many of them could explain the "Durable power of attorney" to the avg publisher

Yet they are presented to the rank and file as all knowing and all wise on this and all issues

Never are the elders presented in a light of THEY DON'T HAVE THE FOGGIEST

With surgical instruments in the hands of a trained Dr it can save lives, but in the hands of a fool-- folks die and suffer

When I left bethel I was able to find myself in a congo where the elder were Sharp as Nails---------- 4 former bethelites were there when I rolled in

But as I begin to deal with elders in surrounding halls we use to say "Lord Have Mercy I feel so sorry for the friends"

Men who held the power of life and death in their hands and decisions

For so many elders their only Qualification is they have High Hours and make all the meetings

I have stated many times I personally believe that wt would have been just fine if they had stayed with Bible commentary, this way they would be able to come at any time and change their views without trying to convince their folowers that they just got some NEW INFO FROM GOD

When in fact the old info as well as this new "New Light" is up to be change in a few months-—WHY CAN'T GOD MAKE UP HIS MIND SMILE

But the day that Russell decided to go from a student of the word OF GOD ,whose dad had given him some big bucks so that he could print his research to as we say in the black community "HNIC" "Head Nig… In Charge" is he made his mistake-

Then Rutherford,knorr and Freddie had to keep this ball rolling and they could not or did not want to stop it and today we have perhaps some 20million folks –active/inactive/dfed and jw kids who never got baptized believing that the Boys in Writing Dept speaks for God himself

In the legal field they have this thing known as FRUIT OF THE POISONOUS TREE

Which means something like if the search warrant was obtain illegally then any evidence be it guns, drugs, even dead bodies sometimes are to be excluded

Same with WT their Very Core Dogma is Wrong and therefore any Policies /rules, etc that stems from them run into problem.

I fully understand the situation that you find yourself in and my heart goes out for you, but out on the front lines where the Tires Hit the Pavement life is very different

Esp when you get into some of the 3rd world and backward countries where the flow of information is almost at a STAND STILL.

I truly feel for those bro who are convince that they are Truly Trained and Qualified

And the rank and file must view them as such as well

It is such a cruel joke to tell a man he can fly a plane just because he read how to do it in a book

Each time I see the commercial on TV about "Days Inn" I think

Where they have these persons doing all kinds of things and feeling that they are qualified due to having Stayed at a "Days Inn" for the night

I appreciate your post and I truly hope that you never leave the NET , but continue to share your insight due to your unique vantagepoint

JUST MY 2

JT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit