Letter For Judicial Hearing 6-6-02

by silentlambs 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    We are pleased to see from Mr. Hunt's letter that you do not intend to be disfellowshippcd or disassociate yourself. Be assured that our meeting with you is, just an extension of our shepherding work. We desire to render spiritual aid in Christian love. (Galatians 6:1) Since this is a congregational matter we will be handling it following congregation procedures, and so we appreciate, our relationship is not adversarial, but as brothers,

Great! I bet you can't wait to go now! [8>] These guys must think you are a compete idiot (or they need to put on a good show for the media) I'm tired of them using the same old lines and tricks. It would be nice if they came up with something fresh and new.. LOL What a bunch of morons.

If you actually did show up to this meeting, I wonder what displays of "repentance" it would take to avoid getting disfellowshipped. I'm sure they are really "pleased" that you "do not intend to be disfellowshipped or disassociate yourself".

Path

• Simon
    Simon

If you do end up going to meet with them just remember that many of us will be there is spirit ...

... sticking things up their noses, pulling their eyelids and generally making them twitchy and uncomfortable

Obviously, if we were there in person we couldn't do that. BTW: I hope you don't laught at them if they happen to twitch or scratch their nose now

• bonovox
    bonovox

Silentlambs,

Thanks very much for posting up those letters from the JC. It helps me gain a better perspective on what is befalling you, which, I would like to say, I emphatize with, having been there myself...well sort of, I was there for different reasons I suppose.

I would just like to ask, as objectively as possible, the following questions:

It seems that this situation (I mean the requests and whatnot) since last year. I also wholeheartedly believe that it is a very important issue for you, and one that you believe very passionately in it, and rightly so.

Do you *really* wish to remain part of this organization? Why? I realize that you are going to be away on speaking engagements and what not, but from a scant read of their latest letter to you, it seems that the feeling is that this has gone on long enough, and that it needs to be resolved as quickly as possible. June 10 seems like their attempt (perhaps feeble) to meet you half-way. Surely they realize that, just as in May, you will come prepared with witnesses etc, so doesn't their latest offer at least give the appearance that they are finally willing to cut the bs and just sit down with you once and for all? The reason I say that, is because if I was in your shoes this meeting would be at the foremost of my mind and priority list. If I had to cut short a trip of speaking engagements to finally resolve it, I think I would, if for nothing else, to show that I was the bigger person.

Just a suggestion mind you....wish I could offer you my well wishes as a brother but Im not one, so good luck all the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"

Bullet the Blue Sky, Rattle n Hum version

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    so doesn't their latest offer at least give the appearance that they are finally willing to cut the bs and just sit down with you once and for all? The reason I say that, is because if I was in your shoes this meeting would be at the foremost of my mind and priority list. If I had to cut short a trip of speaking engagements to finally resolve it, I think I would, if for nothing else, to show that I was the bigger person.

Yeah, it gives the "appearance that they are finally willing to cut the bs" but that is about it. So many people get suckered into these things because they fail to realize these guys CANNOT BE TRUSTED. This meeting is purely a formality to give the APPEARANCE of a trial but the reality is a CERTAIN outcome of DISFELLOWSHIPPING. Short of signs from heaven, Bill's ass is grass.

I wouldn't alter any of my plans for these guys. They can f%$!ing wait. They had their chance and blew it. My morning dump would have a higher priority than meeting with these idiots. I'm glad Bill is giving them the runaround.

Path

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

bonovox,

Well boys and girls, before you jump all over Matrix, I'll take some fire too. I've dug around on this Bowens issue abit, and, if you can conclusively prove me wrong, then fine, I'll listen. But there seems to be a few gaps in the whole saga...
    Don't take this the wrong way, bonovox, but WE ALL listen and choose whether and how much of it to believe. Nobody is asking you to buy every letter of every word, and I personally won't cry a river if you don't believe any of "this Bowens issue."

- in his May 5 letter (posted on silentlambs site, which I might add isnt up to date if you believe everything in the most recent letter as posted here..if its such and important issue, whats up with that?) he mentioned he was having surgery, and suggested May 24. I so far have seen no response letter from the JC agreeing or confirming this date. Maybe there is one, can we see it?
    Firstly, before this thread, I believe that Bill already posted that letter. Do you ask because you think it's fabricated? What possible reason would he have for making up something that could so easily be debunked. What possible difference would it make?

Secondly, Bill Bowen is struggling to run a business and feed a family. While he could legally (I think) pay himself a salary as administrator of Silentlambs, I don't think it's taking in nearly enough money right now to do that. I think we can cut him a little slack if he is a little late posting something to the site. Maybe he's working, or helping a real live victim of abuse right now. If he wasted his time answering every (IMHO) little question, he wouldn't get anything done.

- if there wasn't one, which I'm not saying is right, did it make sense for him to round up his witnesses at what he calls considerable expense and effort to come to a meeting that noone was going to be at anyways?
    He is running that site in his spare time! Should he waste time posting every two-sentence letter he gets from the society? What's to stop you and others from saying the letter is a forgery even if he does post it? Do you want the guy to fly you to Kentucky to see it personally? Do you honestly think he just picked a day in his calendar and got people to fly across the country when there was really no JC scheduled?

The WT sent a letter saying that they didn't go through with the meeting because it was too public. If there was no appointment, don't you think they would have made mention of that tiny little fact?

- why hasn't the letter that was dropped on a chair in his backyard been posted up here? In all fairness I'd like to read what it says.
    Does the fact that it hasn't been posted indicate to you that he's lying or hiding something? What difference does it make? Bill is giving us the high/low-lights of this whole affair. If we insist on knowing every single detail of this, then we can get down in the trenches with Bill. If not, then 'in all fairness,' he is under no obligation to share the unimportant minutiea with us.

- I'd also like to see these alleged emails from Witnesses threatening his life. As anything can be forged, you're also going to have to post up some IP info with some tracing proof. I think it also stands to reason that since threatening death is a criminal offense, you should be able to provide us with copies of any correspondence you've had from the authorities on the matter.
    To someone who will not be convinced (which I don't believe you are, but which you seem to be trying to come across as) no proof will be sufficient. How should we verify that the "IP info" is not also forged? How does he gather this "tracing proof"? Should he subpeona AOL to get their DHCP info for a certain IP address at a certain time--and repeat this for every ISP of every email--all to satisfy our curiosity? Is it really worth his time and effort to quiet a few skeptics, who would only question the veracity of THAT information?

Let's assume he does plan on pursuing these matters legally. Are you telling him that he should post evidence of this felony activity on public discussion boards just to satisfy your curiosity? Don't you think there's an overreaching danger of harming any case by tipping off the offenders?

I'd guess that Bill has no intention of pressing charges. There are a number of people who are active on these boards that regularly receive death threats from Witnesses. They post them here from time to time. Most of these emails are written off as frustration from people who are very strongly indoctrinated, lashing out at anybody attacking Mother.

Even if he has no intention of pressing charges, they certainly are part of the aftermath--good and bad--of Dateline. You are, of course, free to be skeptical. But you come across, not as skeptical, but like you've decided he's a liar unless he can provide conclusive evidence to you. Bill has established his reputation for well over a year. If you don't think he is what he seems, fine. Many have been following his saga from the beginning, and have formed opinions of his honesty based on what he's shown.

Look, Im not a witness, havent been one for over 12 years, I just think that if we're REALLY gonna blow this thing wide open, then EVERYTHING should be laid out on the table.
    WE? Some things don't need to be out on the table to be believable... some things would only hurt the cause by becoming public knowledge. What do you really hope to accomplish by calling every small detail into question? Do you think that Bill will ever be able to provide so much proof that even the most die-hard Witness will accept it?

A letter (and I might add a wildly meandering one that hardly seems characteristic of most experienced professional counsels) from a laywer is hardly a statement of fact, let's try to remember that.
    Do you think Bill is making these letters up? If you don't think lawyers regularly use ten words when one would suffice, then you and I don't read the same legal documents. I believe Bill has provided the address of his lawyer in these documents. Why don't you (especially since you don't seem to want to take Bill's word for anything) write to his lawyer and verify if these are his words?

And PS: try to resist the urge to childishly flame me for asking hard questions, questions that I would equally ask of any witness if I had the proof Im asking for...And dont tell me 'you dont know what a JC is all about'..Ive been around the block a few times, believe me.
    So Bill Bowen, who has had a huge part in opening discussions and initiating change beyond anything many of us thought we'd ever see, should have every syllable that he utters challenged, but we should just "believe" you?

Let's apply your own standards to your statement. Let's see evidence that you've been around the JC block a few times. Oh don't bother posting it in the Personal Experiences Forum... We're going to need the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the elders involved with each of your JC meetings. I hope they have their birth certificates and blood samples handy, because they could just be actors employed by you. We'll also need independent corroboration that they were elders serving in your alleged congregation at the time you allegedly attended. You should be able to get WT Legal to provide all the supporting documentation... but we'll want to have an independent laboratory prove that the papers you supply are on authentic WT stationary. Don't worry, I'm sure the cost won't be too high. Do you get my point?

I think I understand what you're trying to do, and there's nothing wrong with a little healthy skepticism. Hillary_Step is a big proponent of reasonableness, and I applaud him for it. But I think you've swung the pendulum wayyyyyy too far in the other direction, and very few of your questions strike me as valid "tough" questions. There is a fine line between healthy caution, and unwarranted suspicion, complete with veiled accusations of falsehood. Remember that this is an Internet Discussion Forum, not a court of law. Bill Bowen is not obligated to provide incontrovertible proof. He throws out his thoughts and his version of his experiences, and we're all free to accept or reject them based on our trust of him.

Hmmm

PS Why on earth should Bill cancel a trip (be it speaking engagement, business trip, or vacation) for this nonsense? It has NOTHING to do with showing who's the bigger man. It's about not letting these men inconvenience him any more than they already have. If you'd let a group of men change your schedule around for some silly notion of being the bigger man, then... well I guess you're a bigger man than I am.

PPS Simon, would you mind verifying the identity of bonovox, just to make sure it's not one of our favorite posters under a new guise? Just a little healthy skepticism; I'm sure you understand and applaud my caution.

• bonovox
    bonovox

Hmmm,

I think I've somehow gotten off on the wrong foot here. I've been told that I sometimes manage to express my ideas in a way that can appear confrontational or adversarial. I'd just like to outright apologize unequivocally for that if that is the case here.

I don't have morbid curiosity in this topic, it is however very close to me for personal reasons that I will leave out of the discussion for now. Let me just say one thing: I HATE CHILD MOLESTERS. On good days I'd like to see them locked away for good, and on days where my bad nature gets the better of me I'd like to go a-huntin' for them with an assault rifle.

I would also like to state that in NO WAY do I disbelieve that Mr. Bowens life has been horribly affected by this issue. I would not even dream that he has forged these letters, and I don't believe I even hinted that in the least bit. If I came across that way I am very sorry, it was not my intent. I also do not disbelieve that he may have been harassed by elders who are either sadly confused or deluded about what they SHOULD be doing on this. I also don't disbelieve that given the chance to 'save the flock', they will try and get him booted, perhaps even ex-parte.

Here is what I do believe: that it will be difficult, and cmon, given the circumstances, it'd be hard for any of us in this situation, to report everything that is going on with it with complete objectivity. I also noticed some gaps in the paper trail, so to speak, and so just wanted to investigate a little more.

I also believe, and its not a phenomenon exclusive to xJw forums, that whenever someone builds a case such as Mr. Bowens has, that extremist nutbars will line up behind them without any real factual knowledge and make the wildest assertions in the name of supporting such a person. You are clearly not that type of person, I'm referring to someone who would say something like 'all elders are pedophiles'.

Here is what else I believe: if all this stuff is true, I think the name, address, and picture of every molester, the elders that protected them, and those who threatened his life, should be posted up for everyone to see so we can all be wary of. Call it a bit of naive mob justice attitude, I guess.

I also think that maybe, and I stress, just maybe, the gb, legal dept, the elders in question, whatever, are getting a huge amount of pressure because of the Dateline program and *just might* be saying (well not exactly, but in my words lol) "holy shit, this is hittin the fan big time and it's not going away, we'd better meet it square on before it gets any worse"...definately not the reason they SHOULD be hitting it head on, but as others have mentioned, at least now because of people like Mr. Bowens they HAVE to. So yeah, it'd be cool to stick it to 'em and make them squirm a bit, but if this is truly about protecting children (and I really have no doubts that it is for which Im glad), I'd be the bigger person, meet them halfway on the JC thing, get all my witnesses together and hit em head on.

The other side of me, of course, just feels like saying 'fuck em' and just not showing up at all. I did basically the same thing, back when I couldnt take the JC meetings anymore, and just told them to do whatever they wanted in my absence. They said it doesnt work like that, so I scribbled a goodbye note. And for people who really dont want to be a part of it anymore, thats always been my advice, just leave it behind. I realize thats not so simple in some cases, and quite apparently this is one of them.

Most of your points are good ones, and well taken. I certainly would not want people questioning my motives if I laid myself bare as he has done. I think because I do not know all the variables to Mr. Bowens situation it would have been better for me to shut up about it and just watch from the sidelines.

PS I take it Simon is the owner of the forum? Really, I just joined this week and don't know about all the politics of other people posing with different aliases. I would welcome such verification but I guess I'd hope that my email etc would remain private, right? One thing I can tell you is that while I may be outspoken and frequently have to rethink my positions, I will always post on this board with this name and this name only and would never mislead the board in any other manner.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"

Bullet the Blue Sky, Rattle n Hum version

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

hmmm, you gotta cut bonovox some slack. (I probably was at one of his parties..lol)

Not everyone who is an "ex" is super bitter and anti-WT to the extreme. That seems to be a sad by-product of this place and alot of us here (including myself) need a reality check every now and again.

Yeah, I hate the WT too, but I'm not going to call every new person that might not entirely agree with my viewpoint, or even the majority's viewpoint a troll.

Many people who leave the WT still often agree with many of this group's teachings and need some time to keep reflecting on things. And many people who have left are too bitter and are no longer objective.

Path

• LDH
    LDH

You know, I can't help but think that my tactic would be the following:

I would have my attorney pull their own quote off their website which states "Those who simply cease to be involved are not shunned."

Then I would compose a letter stating, "I simply wish to cease to be involved. Per your public statement at http://www.jw-media.org, those who "simply cease to be involved" are not to be shunned.

Therefore, I will expect all correspondence address to me STOP. If and when I choose to attend local meetings at the Kingdumb Hall, I will expect to be treated with the same manner of respect shown for me throughout my umpteen years of free service to the Draffenville Congregation as an elder.

Any different type of treatment will be viewed by myself and my attorney as harrassment and shunning and will be pursued as such to the fullest remedy allowed by law."

Bill these guys are losers. You are better off being free from them.

Lisa

• DCM
    DCM

Bill,

I have the utmost respect for you. Your courageous stand for integrity (whatever the cost) is inspirational. You are in my prayers.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Lisa, your approach might work if it had been believed Bill had not done anything to warrant disfellowshipping. As it is, Bill is still representing himself as a Witness and is subject to the rules of membership. In the eyes of the organization, Bill has transgressed it's rules and is subject to discipline (read: disfellowshipping).

I see no way around this in the long run. It is all a matter of who gets tired of playing this ridiculous game first. Really, both Bill and the Society are playing out a charade. Both know exactly where they stand and what the end result will be.

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit