Scientists Should Not Dismiss Genesis So Quickly

by Chris Tann 112 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Caedes
    Caedes

Chris,

What people want to know is what you think of the article, express your own thoughts and just link to the article in question.

However as some people have suggested the problem is that the genesis account is not reflective of what we know of planetary formation. The genesis account clearly states that the earth is formed first along with the heavens. This does not tally with what we see of planetary formation.

We know that heavier elements are formed inside stars, so all the of the heavy elements that we are surrounded by are the remnants of a long dead star. We also know that the sun was formed before the earth and that there were stars in the sky long before our sun or the earth formed, this directly contradicts genesis 14. Genesis 14 states that the stars and the sun and the moon were created not only after the earth but after god created light!

See the link below for evidence of protoplanetary formation in action, the site is very good for anyone interested in astronomy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/11/06/hl_tau_new_observations_of_a_young_planetary_system.html

(edited as it could have been read that I was suggesting it was my own site that I linked to, it's not, it is the site of a professional astronomer.)

• Heaven
    Heaven

Without the sun, there would be no life on this planet. But according to Genesis, there was. This is a big reason to dismiss the Genesis account

According to theists he can do all sorts of cool shit.

Yet seems 100% incapable of doing so.

The mana account is an excellent example. If he can do it once what is the issue with doing it repeatedly? No normal human father would see his children suffer needlessly if it is within his power to stop it.

• Simon
    Simon

Remember: god apparently created the entire universe and all life in just days ... but now he really needs your money !!

I guess his create ability dried up after he unlocked that achievement.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Remember: god apparently created the entire universe and all life in just days ... but now he really needs your money !!

I guess his create ability dried up after he unlocked that achievement.

Perhaps he is playing one of those free-to-play world building games on his universe sized i-pad and now he has run out of pocket money for the in-app purchases.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

kind of reminds me of this...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Caedes - "Perhaps he is playing one of those free-to-play world building games on his universe sized i-pad and now he has run out of pocket money for the in-app purchases. "

Leveling up in God's MMPORPG - the real reason fundies do what they do.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

According to theists he can do all sorts of cool shit.

God allegedly created the Universe and all life existing, but has never once healed an amputee.

• cofty
    cofty

Chris please research other creation myths by ancient pre-scientific civilisations. You will be amazed to see how the bible is just one of many superstitious stories.

It contains no interesting insights.

• prologos
    prologos

Chris how about keeping it simple, Gen. 1:1 also explained by Caedes.

The universe existed for ~ 10 billion years, ~ 3/4 it's age before the solar system, earth appeared. That means the beginning was not a start, but lasted most of the time. and

The visible heavens, the stars, were build up earlier. Interesting new detail: Universty of Chicago site: " Shrapnels from a near Super Nova seeded the early Solar System". Chromium 54, isotope of the hard stuff, Aluminium 26, the light metal, all cooked up in stages in stars, and then spewed around the mostly Hydrogen (the light stuff) Sun.

If genesis is out by 10 billion years, 400%, what do you expect from the talking snake? the rest?

Keep it simple, 1:1

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Chris, You're going to spend eternity on just the first chapter, mate (grin). So I urge you to quickly move on to the next chapter, and humans - who are far more interesting than stars, thou8gh we are made form the elements of stars.

Now here's a conumdrum to puzzle your searching brain.

Did Adam have nipples? The answer to which question affects the human condition of Jesus, who is posited as the 'second Adam.'

We appreciate that those of us who are born of women, have nipples (albeit smaller, as I've noticed during various explorations with women) because for the first 5-6 weeks after conception, only the X chromosone is affecting our growth.*

But Adam, according to scripture, was a 'direct' creation of the Yahweh/Jesus as the word**, design team. So did they make him with nipples or did they produce him as a product of the Y chromosone only?

To assist you in your deliberations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Kdoja3hlk

Of course, (I must be fairminded here and bring up alternative ideas to the above there are those who maintain that the Yahweh/Jesus design team produced Adam much as we look, except that he had within him all the female elements etc, (which were removed to form the woman, as symbolised by the rib) which of course, meant that he had female hormones coursing through this body, which in turn meant, that he had very nice fully rounded breasts with attractive nipples on top like a cherry on a pudding.***

Which of these two scenarios do you you think of as 'biblical truth?'

----------------------

Notes:

*So women first, men second, which is not how the author of Genesis saw it, but then, without modern science how could s/he know that?

** Proverbs 8:22, 30-31

*** the truth of that version, so its supporters argue, is preserved as a distant racial memory in the body's of some young men, who dissatified with normal male breasts, want the sort that Adam had, before he lost his female elements , and who take hormones to 'grow' the larger original Adamic breasts.

And, having met a young 'femme-boy' from Thailand at a party last saturday night, I can vouch that they can look better than the all-female sort. In fact, s/he nearly enticed me into bed, but I could see that his boyfriend was watching and not looking happy, so I decided discretion was the better part of valour and not to be centre of a domestic crisis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit