Was it worth it?

by John Aquila 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• minimus
    minimus
    reality living is always better than living a lie!
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    flipper
    Yes. And from this vantage point in my life as an inactive ex-JW who is not DFed- I can still have hope to eventually get one or both of my adult daughters out of the JW cult - with time and patience. I have all the time in the world now to do it right , correctly, and with patience. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Me to!
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

What, are you suggesting that it is acceptable to live a lie?

Once a person realizes the WTBTS is not what it claims to be, there is only one choice: be real or be a hypocrite. The OP implies there is some "price" which would justify continuing to live as a liar and a hypocrite. There is none.

Ironically, the only way the WT keeps people is by fear. Once you wake up to TTATT, you know that all of the supposed benefits were all false hopes and imaginary pipe dreams.

I resent that my children have been turned against me by their vindictive mother who was aided and abetted by the doctrines and practices of this religion, but I simply could not continue to live a lie. I really can't understand how anyone can.

To be clear, I understand WHY people that know TTATT stay in this religion and pretend to be something they are not, I just don't know HOW they can do it. The psychological damage that does to a person is devastating.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

To feel like its ok to have a personal relationship with God and HE can guide me and HE can comfort me and HE can tell me what's right and what's wrong and how to live my life instead of a dozen or so old guys in Brooklyn telling ME what God thinks?

It is absolutely worth it to me!!!!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I haven't had it too bad. Sure, I lost my best friend and really all my "associations" but I kept my family and got closer to non-JW family.

I realize that my best friend is a victim of a dangerous mind control cult. And I have made tons of unconditional friends from among the ex-JW's who are not worried about my beliefs or politics. My JW associations, well.......let's just say "Good riddance!"

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

I lost everything...the only "friends" I ever had, my siblings, my stepson, my husband (thankfully!!). I started at ground zero. I gained my sanity, my health, relatives by the dozen, friends without an agenda, and a good man. I experienced joy and true happiness once I left. I live each day for the gift it is and not for the dangling carrot of a forever paradise. I don't worry about the future any longer. I no longer worry about stumbling someone over something stupid. I hold conversations with people without the agenda of converting them or being on guard against their "worldly" influence. I no longer judge people.

I mentioned to someone recently I feel like sending a thank you card to the eldubs who dfd me since they gave me my life back.

No regrets! The sacrifice has been worth it for me.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    I have to say yes but with mental regrets. I wish I could repair the damage the WT corporation's delusional teachings has done to my family still in but other than that I'm glad I'm some what free of listening to these delusional ass holes speak.
  • fiddler
    fiddler

I don't regret leaving the religion. It was the single most important choice I ever made in my life. If there was ever anything I was supposed to do in this life, that was it. The things that happened in the aftermath; the loss of all my friends and especially family was and is still hard but I don't regret the choice. I have 3 out of 4 of my kids out with me and some cousins. I have many new friends who accept me as I am. Each day I wake up is a gift and I Can alter and refine my beliefs with each day of added information...today's 'truth' may not stand the test of tomorrow's facts. I'm good with that!

Yes, it was absolutely worth it!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Warm smiles at all the above!

It is not easy to leave, and the personal cost to me (loss of family) was great. But on the plus side, I finally achieved the (my own) New System.

In any case, once I'd arrived at my personal conclusions about Christianity, there was no alternative to leaving, even though I dithered. In the end I was ex-communicated and the decision made for me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit