JW Display at the Mall

by saltiest 22 Replies latest jw friends

• saltiest
    saltiest

This afternoon while wasting time at the Promenade Mall, in Temecula, CA (Southern Cal) I had a hard time containing my laughter. Just in front of me were two women behind a table full of WBTS literature. What caught my eye was a Young People Ask sign. My eyes started reading it, I thought, gee, that sounds familiar, and then I stopped dead when I realized what it was.

I think I walked by the two ladies three times, since they were near the elevator. They had this excited look in their eyes everytime and I could tell they were dying to stop what looked to be a single mother. Heh, not this one. I wish I'd thought to mention the Dateline show to them, but completely forgot.

I'm going to look for these two next time I'm at the mall and see if it's the same ones, or if they cycle. They're probably getting service time for the whole time they're sitting there, though I doubt anyone stops.

Just had to share! :) Anyone else seen a setup like this before?

Alicia

(edited for crappy spelling)

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes,

There was a witnessing table in the skyways of downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota in the early 90's. (Don't know if they still occasionally do it or not.) It was a similar setup to what you described-- with current magazines, tracts, and books.

The only rule was, those working the table could not actively approach anyone walking in the skyways. They had to wait until people approached THEM!

They had minimal success, a few odd placements with curious people. It was quite unexciting and yawn-inspiring.

Edited to say: Oh yes, it was mostly pioneers who were assigned the "privilege" of working the witnessing table. It was a rather easy two hours or so of service time for them.

-J.R.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.--Will Rogers, 1879-1935

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK!!!!!!!!!!!.I`d chew the mall managers ass off!...OUTLAW

• terafera
    terafera

Why didnt I get to do this kind of field service????

Just sit at a table and let them come to me??!! Sounds like a sweet deal!

ugh....all those hot and boring days spent walking in neighborhoods....gRrRrRrRrRr....

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

• MarchOn
    MarchOn

They do this at the airport also. They should sell cookies or candy bars and then throw in a "free" magazine with it. This way they would'nt have to lug all of those magazines back home again.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

i hope they didn't have out such recent classics as "Help for Arthritis Sufferers" and "What is Your View of Cleanliness" - it may have caused a mob scene of people scrambling for such fine, timely spiritual food from God's Organization.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

We should draft up a form letter that we can send to the managers of any public location.

The letter should inform them of their deceitful recruiting tactics. It should also talk about the pedophile issues.

Let's get them kicked out.

• saltiest
    saltiest

Actually, I don't recall seeing any magazine, but then again I did my best to keep my eyes averted so they wouldn't think I was interested. Mostly I saw paperback books, specifically the Young People Ask (stupid answers that make you puke) book.

I think next time I see them I'll stop and see what they try to lure me in with. Oh yeah...and take what literature I can and toss it, keeping it away from everyone else.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

My JW bros' used to visit the laundrymats around town. Till one night, somebody put a few stickers up on the doors of a few shops.

These sickers had the official WTS logo and said "JOIN OR DIE" in red followed by a choice WT quote to the effect that "Only JWs will be saved" at "ARMAGEDDON"

The owner of a few shops called the local KH, LIVID, and not a few times I might add. Caused quite a stir.

In fact, they threatened lawsuit. So the Cicuit Overdood decreed that no JW should "witness" at any laundrymat in town. No mags to be left.

I live in a city of 200,000+

The BAN stands till this day.

• SUSCARRA
    SUSCARRA

My Hubby & I were in San Jose a few years back, while @ the mall there we saw the JW setup. There were two sisters & an older brother. I can't remember if there were mags, but there were all the brochures and quite a few publications. At the time I thought it was such a wonderful arrangement. It was so nice to just walk up and talk to a JW bro & sis. At the time I pretended to be a person with interest, & I remembered how excited they were that I was looking @ the material & asking questions, then I let them know that I was already one of them. It was fun and we had a great laugh. Now I tell my teenagers, that they can't go to the mall, because JWs hang out there.

SUSCARRA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit