If you are an open minded christian...

by snare&racket 21 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Welcome Billy x (hope uni is going ok)

• sd-7
    sd-7

Hmm. I've done a bit of reading--mostly two of Bart Ehrman's books on Jesus--and this is a curious argument. I think some of the statements he makes are things that require further research and reading the books he suggested (presumably amongst others if one wanted to read counterarguments or what have you, if such exist). So clearly he's starting from a certain position and explaining a possibility.

I was surprised to hear him omit Paul's mention of Jesus appearing to 500 witnesses in 1 Corinthians 15. Perhaps he would've argued that that was also a "hallucination", and actually that seems to fit his theory now that I think of it, as these would be people who, again, did not see a living Jesus on earth, but rather a cosmic Jesus, one raised from the dead. Hmm.

I'm intrigued. I think this is a high-level presentation of the evidence, but it's actually compelling, in my opinion, and probably worth at least considering if you're in the mood for a heck of a lot of reading on the matter. I may well head over to the library and see if I can grab some of the books he referenced, along with his book.

If Paul was not speaking of the historical Jesus who lived on earth, then it could indeed stand to reason that a lot of other Christians thought of Paul as an apostate. Carrier's theory could fit into that.

Well, that's a lot to take in. I think it takes all of this discussion of Jesus a step further. But then...arguing that Jesus didn't exist is complicated. Okay. I guess I'll bite, though I'm not sure why I am even interested in this.

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit