If you are an open minded christian...

by snare&racket 21 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I would appreciate your opinion on this historian and his explination for the birth of christianity.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mwUZOZN-9dc

Please watch all of it before you comment. I found it very interesting,

Snare

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

Not a Chrisitian, but I'm also intrigued by Dr. Carrier's theory. I think what he puts forward is entirely plausible and I am looking forward to reading his new book.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Sorry I cannot listen to clip because my stupid computer's speakers don't work and the closed captions speak word salad.

I will say this though.

I suppose he is going to suggest that Brian from "The Life of Brian" didn't really exist either.

Some people are just soo blasphemous.

( BTW, just joking).

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m a bit reluctant to watch an hour and think why did I waste my time . Dont get me wrong I havent watched it.

So could somebody who has watched it please give us a rundown , and then I will decide whether or not to watch the whole thing.

smiddy

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Smiddy, he discusses the historical references to Jesus and the historical context of the Jesus account.

He has fasinating details on he New Testament and on Paul.

Don't watch it if you don't want to x

• jgnat
    jgnat

The video is too long to watch for me, too.

• designs
    designs

Give the summary, no one has an hour to waste.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am going to read and cogitate.

http://www.richardcarrier.info/jesus.html

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I think if someone younger than I am was investigating christianity and was considering seriously going down that path, they might consider investing an hout of their time vs the next 30 years down the tube. At the same time, I realize the attention span of people today has to be 15 minutes max, probably closer to 2. So much noise clamoring for our attention. I wil check it out this weekend. Thanks for the link.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I watched all of it. I can't really recommend others taking the time to watch it because it's a Cliff's Notes version of a complex subject. Carrier doesn't really go deep enough into any point to be convincing. I'm open to the theory and even find it an attractive idea, but I am going to need to read something from him or Earl Doherty before I can possibly say whether the evidence is good enough that Jesus was originally a myth. So far I'm just intrigued but very skeptical. I find it easier to see from the Bible record how Jesus went from a real man to a myth (a demigod).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit