If you are an open minded christian...

by snare&racket 21 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The video is a summary of his book apog, of course he can't go deeply in covering hundreds of years of history in 60 mins. But he does keep citing his references for people that want to find out more without reading his book.

I found it ery interesting, I have not heard such things said before about the book of acts, timothy, etc. It is also good to know what is true and what is not true when comparing jesus to other myths.

This guy is a historian thag used to believe in Jesus and now he does not, he explains how he researched the information used to defend jesus' existence.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's the medium that is off-putting. I read faster than people can speak. When I read, I can scan, jump ahead, stop and ponder, and argue with the author. With a video I am captive, and I hate that feeling.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I watched listened to it, while I played scrabble.

There are always two sides to every story and some times there are many sides to a story.

He poses some posibilities. And he critiques Paul and his writngs.

He is like many preachers, not all, He is in it for a buck.

He is highly educated, phd and he specializes in critiquing Chrisitainity.

Google him, go to his web page.

I enjoy reading history and how things came about.

Maybe the priest class created Jesus,

and maybe they didnt.

If you want to believe Jesus was not real, this guy gives you some

amunition for your belief.

I think in the end you will be empty and he will keep chugging along makng a living

doing what he does.

Unless you think your life is better off, believing there is no God and there never was a Jesus.

Then its a win, win.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I found it [v]ery interesting, I have not heard such things said before about the book of acts, timothy, etc. It is also good to know what is true and what is not true when comparing jesus to other myths.

Like I said, it's interesting, but the video itself is little more than a plug for various books from various authors because the assertions he makes in his video, like "Acts is bull#^$&", have llttle to no backup given for them. A while back we had a poster here who liked to state that Paul was either made-up or an agent of Rome, I forget which. Assertions are a dime a dozen.

That's not to discount what Carrier is saying. I am just saying that I can't recommend watching the video, but if someone compiled a list of the books he mentions, I would recommend those as worth reading. I am intending to buy something, probably Doherty's book, once I have the freedom to buy "controversial" books without having to figure out how to hide them from prying eyes.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

After speaking with my Young Earth Creationist friends, I think the term open minded Christian is an oxymoron.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

It's the medium that is off-putting. I read faster than people can speak. When I read, I can scan, jump ahead, stop and ponder, and argue with the author. With a video I am captive, and I hate that feeling.

(2)

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I watched this a long time ago and carrier has a point. However he doesn't reveal how a Messianic God-Son figure became 'Jesus'. He fails to point out that tat the time of Jerusalems fall three things happened.

1. There was a High Priest named Jesus

2. A crazy preacher named Jesus was killed by a Roman attack.

3. In 71CE a major solar eclipse gave rise to a 'Logos cult'. (Read John 1)

Once these facts are inserted then you can start putting the early form of Christianity together....

Jews fleeing the destroyed Jerusalem.... Solar Eclipses which former priests interpet.... Essenies fleeing and mising doctrine.... Apocylptic world views which gave birth to the first half of Revelation.

From there we can start to see Christianity form.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Those are interesting statements, HTBWC, is there a book which discusses those points?

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Apognophos: I'm making one! LOL

However I would encourage a watching of the YouTube channel by Xoroaster Zoroaster. We have some disagreements but most of his work comes from a solid overview of history and astronomy.

The parts about Jesus being High Priest (Whose brother was named James) and the other Jesus a preacher who died are found in the books War of the Jews by Josephus*

*Who I have argued before that although he is very biased... I have no reason to argue these two points.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Very interesting. Listening to it is an hour better spent than going to the KH! I'll probably watch it again.

Thanks for sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit