Rodney Stark

by silentlambs 24 Replies latest jw friends

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

"[Jehovah's Witnesses] have some ... very well-designed articles telling parents how to teach their children to deal with the molestation situation

and in ways so that the child will feel secure about coming home and reporting it."—Dr. Rodney Stark, Professor of Sociology

Mr. Stark also comments that he has read WT literature that encourages parents to report to law enforcement.

I emailed Mr. Stark with an appeal to re look at this matter, he ignored my request. If anyone would like to offer Mr. Stark further collaboration that he might have it wrong feel free to email him at [email protected] Perhaps the voice of many may get his attention.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

I emailed him, and asked him how much they paid him to say such a thing and to remind him that actions speak louder than words, and that the powers that 'be' do not practice what they preach (or write).

I also told him that in closing his ears and eyes, he has made himself an accesory to what is going on in Kingdom Halls around the world by making such a statement without hearing the facts.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

they do encourage the children to report child molesting......it's true.....

the problem is that they are encouraged to report it to unqualified elders, too,,,,,,who then either mentally molest them again, or cover it up, to protect their pedophile friends.......and then punish the victims if they won't go along with it.

so they "can" produce literature that tells children to report abuse.
    that's not the issue.........the gov body is very good at side-stepping the issues.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Bill,

Could we have the source of that quote please?

Thanks,

outnfree

• Gopher
    Gopher

Outnfree,

It's right on the front page of http://www.jw-media.org .

-J.R.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.--Will Rogers, 1879-1935

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Any one want to bet that this Stark fellow is a JW, related to a JW, or a study?

• herbert
    herbert

Perhaps Prof Stark doesn't understand that reporting a molester who is "in the world" is a lot different from reporting an elder or other JW.

However, it seems to me that Professor Stark's colleagues might be interested in his views, especially if supporting information is supplied that demonstrates beyond doubt that the WTS hides molestation incidents and punishes the victim. Nobody delights more in an academic making him or herself look like an idiot than his or her colleagues.

herbert

• waiting
    waiting

hello crawdad,

Fine point - the WTBTS plays words as well (or better) than any lawyer. It's up to others to understand what they're REALLY saying.

they do encourage the children to report child molesting......it's true.....

the problem is that they are encouraged to report it to unqualified elders,

too,,,,,,who then either mentally molest them again, or cover it up, to protect their pedophile friends.......and then punish the victims if they won't go along with it.
    It's true - as far as it goes - report.....but TO WHOM? And what are the qualifications of these elders? Very little.

Remember the WT quote: "We do not shun members who cease to be active." Of course not.....they're STILL MEMBERS.

Remember another WT quote: "Disfellowshipping does not break family ties." Of course not......we still have mothers, fathers, sons & daughters. They just treat df'd family as if they don't exist......but they're still legitimate family, right?

All in the wording. Public Relations and slight of word.

waiting

• Soledad
    Soledad

I have emailed him with a request to look into matters in depth. I am amazed that an individual such as Mr Stark, a professor of Sociology, would take such articles at face value.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: "[Jehovah's Witnesses] have some ... very well-designed articles telling parents how to teach their children to deal with the molestation situation

Articles are just words. They real question is whether they actually practice what they preach or not. If they did, DateLine wouldn't have a story, would they? SilentLambs wouldn't have hundreds of testimonials from victims of WT practice and policy either, would he?

They're lying assholes, and I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. But they're still lying assholes who are only concerned for themselves.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit