What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m fully acquainted with spirits , the alcoholic kind , them I can relate to .

smiddy

• cofty
    cofty

So still no answers to the question of what spirit actually IS.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

If 'spirit' indeed exists it hasn't been measured, caught, bottled, analysed or proven in any way apart from individual confirmation bias.

How I'd love to believe there is more to life..................sadly so far nothing obvious has happened to show me anything other than we are born and die and that's ya lot!

............or as the onion said: 'That Challot!'

• designs
    designs

Bat Kol- Daughter of the Voice, the voice of God. To the observant Jew God's voice is literally heard on important occaisions like the Torah being presented or when Moses dies from the kiss of God and is taken, God's voice is then heard over the Israelite camp 'Moses is dead, Moses is dead'.

Ruach Ha-Kodesh, The Holy Spirit, the breath of God. It is considered the divine emanation of God on all creation. At certain times its radiance has been seen according to the Rabbinic Sages in the Mishnah.

In Jewish art work both the Bat Kol and Ruach are depicted by a dove.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Look up "Insight on the Scriptures", doh! or Wikipaedia.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

the impelling force that issues from a person's figurative heart and that causes him to say and do things in a certain way; inspired utterances originating with an invisible source; spirit persons; God's active force, or holy spirit.

How does a real "spiritual" force flow from a "figurative" heart or a figurative anything?

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

So then these depictions are "figurative" then? So how is "spiritual" or "spirit" not just a figurative term to describe breath or life Or ones will to......survive?

• Fernando
    Fernando

As my faith journey unfolds I am learning that our intangible spirit connects us with higher powers and higher intelligences from higher dimensions (beyond our 3 dimensional world).

It is in our spirit that we "hear" or actually discern the "living word" behind the "written word". Our spirit facilitates higher learning where we come to "know" and understand things over and above what we learn through our 5 senses.

Watchman Nee (1930-1972) explained the spirit has three main functions or attributes: conscience, intuition and communion (fellowship).

• Londo111
    Londo111

I believe there is a connection between spirit and consciousness & thought, which is the bedrock of reality, including what we perceive as the material world.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Cofty wrote: "So still no answers to the question of what spirit actually IS."

I think Island provided an answer. He said it's breath, the act of breathing.

Best post to this thread so far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit