What Motivates Jehovah's Witnesses To Stay In The Religion?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Perfectly summed up and illustrated by Oubliette above.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I figure as long as my prayers are being answered, I must be where Jehovah wants me to be---with the JW's.

Wow Watcher....how nice that Jehovah is making sure you have someone to ride around with for a few hours in a comfy car while children all over the world are just one bowl of rice away from utter starvation. We wouldn't want to see you suffer by having to work alone in service or with someone you don't really like. Maybe since Jehovah is manipulating others people's lives so you get what you want, you could try praying for something that will help other people and share the blessings.

If your "service buddy" was killed in a car accident on the way to the Kingdom Hall that day, would you have blamed it on Jehovah? Or maybe it would have been your fault. After all, you pretty much said it was his answer to your prayer that made her come to the metting for service in the first place.

• flipper
    flipper

Fear. Fear of finding out that there is no such thing as " paradise " . And that they WILL die like every other human being that's ever lived on the planet. And fear of losing JW relatives who probably don't love them unconditionally ANYWAY - they love them only because they are in the JW cult. My 2 cents

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

It is the opposite of motivated. You join that cult because you are lazy and fall for the “Get saved quick” scheme the FDS is selling. Madoff has nothing on them. No thought or work required for everlasting life, we will take care of it all for you. Don’t worry you don’t even have to think we will tell you exactly what to do and when.

Take this pill and lose weight, follow this plan for easy money and come to the KH and live forever.

The bible says that you should search like you are searching for a hidden treasure (Prov 2:4-5) not that the treasure will be delivered to your door and spoon fed to you. That one scripture proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the JWs are full of Shite!

• TableForOne
    TableForOne

Many who have been in for decades don't want to leave because they've invested so much time/energy/family to give in now.

They're waiting for a bus that's never going to come.

But they daren't start walking, because they're constanly told the bus is "just around the corner".

• kaik
    kaik

1. Misery like company. The same miserable, unhappy creatures feel unified in their view of bad, ungodly world that does not understand them.
    2. Feeling to be superior to other. JW teaches that they are unique, choosen class of people having special relationship with God while everyone else worship bad god or Satan.
    3. Lazyness. You do not need anything in your life to achieve academically or socially. You do not need to go to school, invest into career, or your future. You sit in trailer or section 8 housing abusing welfare, while using free time to hunt souls for WT theocratical warfare. Everything else in your life will be solved in new world, which include better health, housing, and living standard. But on this world, you do not need anything to work for.
    4. People are brainwashed and do not understand the world outside the KH. The organization is the only reality they deal and do not cause them to get lost.
    5. You invest decade living and worshiping nonsense. You are scared of big "A" and you are not sure if you survive it. The KH gives you sense of security and reason. After decades you cannot throw your life away just because you were decieved.
  • Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I don't know if the quasi-psychological term "armageddon axiety" is used internationally, but I think the fear of being killed is one of the moste importnt factors keeping people from thinking and questioning. Also, I think tht the "what if"-reasoning is related to the "armageddon anxiety". Probably the "armageddon axiety" may persist for a long time in quite a lot of XJWs. I am thinking about reactions to disasters or to that UN-Vatican report on sexual abuse.

• never a jw
    never a jw

What motivates..... I would say What forces JW's to stay.

The short answer is fear.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Fear of death keeps them captive or enslaved, as per scripture.

(Hebrews 2:15) . . .[that] he might emancipate all those who for fear of death were subject to slavery all through their lives.

• jam
    jam

I really, really thought it was the truth so help me GOD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit