What Motivates Jehovah's Witnesses To Stay In The Religion?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I believe it is mostly GUILT.

Many Witnesses pioneer or "reach out" in the religion because they feel guilty.

They may feel they aren't doing enough. They may have secretly "sinned" against rules imposed by the Organization. They are made to feel that they are never good enough, so they try to do more, can't keep up and then feel guilty over where they stand in God's/the FDS's eyes.

What do you think??

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You don't have to have "sinned" to be made to feel guilty of not doing enough - The WTS is expert at making one feel that, even if they are doing all they can.

Why stay? Contrary to a popular view on here, I know that the very vast majority really believe it to be God's Organization, they think they are serving God.....so they do..

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Guilt is a huge factor.as well, I think it's the"what if" scenario, if the dubs are right about the Armageddon and all that.shunning is also something to think about.

No mention of love, is there?

• KariOtt
    KariOtt

Fear of losing family

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Inertia perhaps. Can't find the time or energy to do anything about their situation even if they want to.

• minimus
    minimus

My mom questions me with the what if? line of reasoning. I tell her I'm not afraid of Harmageddon.

• TableForOne
    TableForOne

Many must stay in the religion because they remain convinced that it is 'the truth'.

I stayed in for 22 years because I really believed it.

If something didn't seem right, I "left it in Jehovah's hands", and got on with my life of faithful service.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The Carrot: Eternal Life on Paradise Earth

The Stick: Guilt and fear of being disfellowshipped

It's all an illusion except the very real threat of being cut-off by your family.

C&S

The only thing the GB/WTBTS can deliver is the stick.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I like Oubliette's analogy above of why they stay in, you just need to add in one more MAJOR ingredient to that mix, mental illness

• DATA-DOG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit