Theism Makes Science Impossible

by cofty 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

I am not asking about your bespoke theology though Seraphim.

I am talking about mainstream theism which teaches that god is active in the world including his ability and willingness - on occasions at least - to heal.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Of course he can only report using the rules of double-blind trials, but in doing so he is forced to accept that his results on the efficacy of the new heart drug are flawed.

A theist must believe that god is active in the world - a scientist must assume he is not.

No! He is not 'forced' to accept this at all. Neither 'must' theists always believe God is active in the world.

You're speaking in absolutes and generalities and arguing against your own strawman.

The point you appear to be making Cofty is that naturalism is not compatible with supernaturalism, which is correct.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

OK cofty but I do think there are cases of miraculous healing, just not as often as perhaps mainstream theology would like to pedal. I even think resurrections still occur.

• cofty
    cofty

Neither 'must' theists always believe God is active in the world. - Yadda

That is like saying a bachelor might be married.

A theist who doesn't beleive god is active in the world is a deist.

If god answers prayers for healing then no epidemiological study can ever be accurate.

I even think resurrections still occur - Seraphim

Oh dear.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Oh dear indeed!

• cofty
    cofty

Seraphim - Names, dates, times, details of eyewitnesses and medical evidence please.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

You won’t believe if I did provide those details because you don’t except anecdotal evidence unless it is part of a reproducible experiment. You need to tell me what the current definition of death is first of all.

• cofty
    cofty

So predictable.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I’m not the only one who is, but nevertheless I did offer if you were to play ball. However it seems anecdotal evidence will always be rejected unless it can be part of an experiment which edits out miracles by definition, even if true. So perhaps it’s best I don’t play ball with you.

• cofty
    cofty

Are you seriously suggesting that anecdotal evidence ought to convince a rational person about resurrections?

Back to the topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit