Theism Makes Science Impossible

by cofty 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JeffT
    JeffT

Now when he collates the results of the trial how does he factor-in the answers to prayers?

He doesn't. If he's doing real science its a double blind trial and he doesn't know who was treated with what.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for your replies.

Humbled - As I said in my OP there are many fine scientists who are also theists. In order to make sense of the world though they must act as deists.

What if G.W. Carver has believed god was sending the plague of boll weevils?

Carver said he had once asked God to tell him the "mystery of the universe" and god said "that is for me alone".

That kind of makes my point for me.

Prologos - there may not be hypocricy involved in doing science and being a Deist/Theist

The distinction between deism and theism in this context is vital.

Rotten Riley - I tend not to read copy-paste stuff but your own comments would be welcome.

Abiather - Nobody wants to join your BK cult...

aquafrenta - I assume you read the thread title but not the first line of the OP

JeffT - Yes that was assumed in the hypothetical scenaio. The doctor in the OP can safely assume that many if not of the patients in his tiral were being prayed for by somebody. As a theist he believes in the efficacy of prayer. As a scientist doing the epidemiology how does he factor-in the god who heals?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I had this argument with the philospher Julian Baggini, he felt that such Scientists were able to leave their belief at the lab door, I disagreed.

My own experience as a believer leads me to feel, that even if it is only at a sub-conscious level, being a believer must affect your thought processes.

It is thinking which we mortals might describe as "outside the box" that progresses human knowledge and brings advances in Science.

The Theists thinking is rigidly locked in a box.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Now when he collates the results of the trial how does he factor-in the answers to prayers?- cofty

To many theists prayer is more of a ritual and practice. Prayer can be about thinking of others, scientists may believe a drug is the answer to their prayers.

Personally, I still pray, but I don't believe God answers anyones prayers. That doesn't mean I don't trust scientists who are theists, especially if they don't factor prayer into their trials. They are just more religious than atheist scientists. We all need to have an open mind about other peoples beliefs and practices, we should not berate scientists who go to church and pray. As individuals we can question them, but berating them is not appropriate.

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

we should not berate scientists who go to church and pray. As individuals we can question them, but berating them is not appropriate. - Kate

Please see the first line of the OP.

Phizzy - I think we saw some of that in the scientists that Ken Ham appealed to in his debate last night. Even in the case of the best theist scientists they have to behave as if god doesn't act in the world in order to do science.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I agree with you cofty, we should not berate them. Sadly many posters on this forum do berate those who believe in God and it is not appropriate. Well done for saying it's not impossible to be a great scientist and a theist. I too respect theists and atheists.

Kate xx

• galaxie
    galaxie

The human brain is capable of all sorts of trickery. Perfectly well educated people with exceptional skills and reasoning, are also capable of being DELUDED! SCIENTISTS AMONG THEM !!.

• KateWild
    KateWild

galaxie, do you believe all who have faith in God are delluded? Is dellusional an appropriate term for theists do you think?

Kate xx

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Delusional "Having false or unrealistic beliefs", fits Theism to a Tee.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Kate .The appropriation part is how the term is perceived by the recipient.

The term or description, is correct. Unless you believe in unprovable NON..., SENSE.!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit