Site issues: Jan 02 Update (Sign In)

by Simon 30 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

I've deployed a fix for people affected by sign-in issues caused by having multiple accounts associated with the same email address. Here's how to activate the fix:

You must attempt to sign in using the email address associated with your account (not a username) and must have access to that mailbox.

If there are multiple accounts associated with the email address then you will be shown a warning message with the option to have an email sent to repair your account.

The email will contain a link to a page showing all the accounts associated with the same email address and allow you to select the one you want to be active (it will disassociate all the other accounts from the email address).

Once you have completed the process then you should be able to sign in as normal. If this has solved your issue then please reply on this topic to let me know it worked for you.

If you still can't sign in then remember to give the password reset process a try first (even if you already tried it before and never received the email).

If your sign-in issue isn't as described above then please email me even if you have already done so before: Keeping track of all the emails and who's issues have been fixed is difficult so it's easier to address the most common problems and whittle down the list.

I'm hoping that the only people who may still have a problem are those who may have multiple accounts associated with the same email but no longer have access to that email address.

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: I also added an emoticon button on the editor for the old smilies. You can also use the emoji text codes: http://www.emoji-cheat-sheet.com/

There are a few quirks - the smilies are done with <span> tags instead of images so that the image options don't show up (and they are loaded using css sprites. It does mean that the text can be broken in the editor though (haven't figured out how to prevent that yet).

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: Here's a tip for getting better service from any IT person:

Don't tell them that you "get an error" when you do something. Tell them what the error is!

If someone has to email you to ask you for the information that they need to solve your problem you are just making it harder for them which possibly makes them less likely to help (either due to motivation or time).

Just think: what can I include in this email that may be relevant to the problem or useful to know?

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Hi, Simon --

I know you've synced the sites but although I used to have -1 Personal Messages, I now have 18 (not really):

I don't mind the weird number staying there, but just thought you might be able to zap the counter somehow.  Because you ARE magical.  :D

THANKS!!!!

• Simon
    Simon
    The 18 means there really are 18 message that are not marked as read (due to a timing issue of the import process). If it bothers you then you can look through then and this will mark them read. I will try and add a "mark all read" at some point though.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    Nothing too major, but I've noticed that every time I post something and click on "post reply" it takes a while for it to actually go thru, is it just me ??
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away

Success! Your fix works. Thank you, Simon!

Hope you are feeling better. Happy New Year!

• life is to short
    life is to short

Yes it worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you, so much. Your sight means the world to me. I do not know where I would be without it. I just cannot thank you enough. Thank you again.

LITS

• life is to short
    life is to short

Yes hope you are feeling better also, Thank you again for doing all of this especially when you are sick. Just thank you again.

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks - I'm on the mend, just wish I could stop coughing!

every time I post something and click on "post reply" it takes a while for it to actually go thru

I have some jobs running which slow down the backend. Regular posting gets priority but may get delayed a little longer than normal. Once something has been sent it goes into a queue and *will* be processed - even if there is an issue with the site, it wouldn't be lost.

As soon as I finish some more optimization work I expect to be able to crank up the performance settings so everything should be noticeably faster.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit