Inaccurate hours recorded

by snare&racket 45 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Exactly guys, acual time spent in ministry TALKING to another human being is a smal percentage of those recorded hours.

Assuming an hour a week for each bible study reported plus say an hour a month actually talking to people on the doors, this does not add up to much person to person preaching. Knocking on an empty door is just a sad waste of time, the ridiculously high number of hours reported is just a sad indictment of how much time is wasted for this publishing company by its followers, whatever activity they are counting.

I must admit, visiting the sick and elderly JW's was a worthy activity, though with heindsight I should have been busy advancing my life too, be it education or a career. But I did enjoy catching up and checking up on them. It is also why I enjoy my job now.

But yes, those hours reported are PURE FABRICATION of the statistics, real preaching time is probabl less than 10% of that figure.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Also we need to now view hours preaching as really hours recruiting people into a cult, or hours devoting our resources to a cult. We were told we couldn't count hours visiting the sick or elderly in general. But the service overseer told me I could as they wouldn't get visits if we were all too contious about meeting hours.

I am noticing with these new carts, recruiting into the cult has slackened. What do you think?

Kate xx

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The JW's think they are the only people preaching...... but in reality they are the only people testing doorbells.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.........................A JW can Count Field Service Time by..

Keeping a WBT$ Information Card on their Bedside Table in a Hospital..

...............A Jehovahs Witness can Count Field Service Time..

...........................................In A Coma..

......................................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• blondie
    blondie

In a coma, if a publication is on the table by their bed................I heard that for real....I remember some jws put publications in the rear window for others to see and counted their time as they traveled to a convention. Or the pioneer who handed out tracts to the people he rode up with on the ski lift.

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, yes and yes - Witnesses do this! Here's a case that is very close to home:

My still-in siblings informed me when I inquired that when our dear JW mother was in residential care in the last months of her life, they counted their visits and time spent with her on their monthly reports as time spent in field service!! For f*c!s sake! Until her dying breath my mother was a dedicated Witness - sure, in her last little while on earth she couldn't help but become "inactive". But hell - how desperate-minded Witnesses become to ensure they remain active in the preaching work by counting the time they spend even with their elderly Witness parents. At one level it's plain pathetic, yet at another quite disgusting.

Oh, I never spoke my mind to my siblings because of a mutual understanding...and I also credit them with treating me respectfully despite my apostate outlook (from their view).

Hence, I kind of roll my cynical eyes when I scan the end of year report on the worldwide work of the Witnesses and see that the total hours spend witnessing keeps going up and up.

• Weana
    Weana

Hi snare&racket;

It seems you are completely ill-informed concerning WTS's rules for reporting.

Neither Quick Builds, nor Some Bethel Activity, nor Visiting elderly, sick JW's, nor Activity for RBC / HLC were ever allowed to be reported as field service hours.

If Regular Pioneers or Special Pioneers are invited to do some work for quick builds or for Bethel, their field service hours goal may be reduced. But that time is not counted as "field service time". Those pioneers are just allowed to remain in pioneer status although the could not report so much field service hours as usually necessary for pioneers.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Weana, I was a full time pioneer and assistant overseer on the quick builds around the years 97-2000. I was also a bethelite.

This 100% did happen, it was not a reduced hours of ministry exemption, I remember clearly them putting a limit on the number of hours YOU COULD COUNT AS MINISTRY whilst doing quick builds.

The JW's change like the wind, so maybe it has changed now. Back then it was 90hrs a month and such exemptions brought pioneers from all over. Also I assure you pioneers are used to visit elderly and sick JW' and they USED to count their time for sure. One pioneer would take them to doctors etc and count their time. We used to go to the hospital (that I am writing to you now from...under slightly different circumstances) and spend the afternoon visiting the local ones in.

You don't have to believe me, but we certainly did it and it appears we were not the only ones.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I used to be an experienced "go-to-brother" on the concrete crew. I was not allowed to count my time because I was not a pioneer. I was not a pioneer because I had to work full-time to support my family. Ironically, my full-time labor also supported those pioneers who sought medical care without health insurance in the USA. Those same pioneers "worked" at the quick builds, usually in administration.

KH build: Work full time+ miss work/$$$/family+ no service time= I quit.

Oh yeah, I have guesstimated my time for years and just plain made up time for the last 6 months. If I could stomach it, I would do a little experiment and see if I could get appointed an MS. That would be hilarious, but I don't care enough to try.

DD

• sir82
    sir82

Technically, Weana is correct.

Say you had a pioneer who spent 40 hours on a quick build, and 30 hours in field serve-us.

The secretary should report a "30" on the report that gets sent to the Society, but should write a "70" on the pioneer's publisher card.

The goal remains 840, but some of those 840 can be due to quick build, etc.

The net effect for those pioneers with RBC time would be a reduction in the field service hours goal.

However, given that many JW secretaries are, shall we charitably say, not the sharpest tools in the shed, that instruction was probably ignored or misunderstood at least as often as it was applied correctly, and the "70" would end up both in the Society report and the publisher card.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit