The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

I try not to argue with morons because they are likely to drag you down to their level and beat you with experience FOR the record NEVER A JW i am not intrerested in converting Crofty my objection is to his ignorant and arrogant assersion that anyone can prove or disprove the existence of God In my post re natural disasters I was alluding to Pascal's wager And yes I rarely edit my posts it's hard enough as it is typing in bed with the laptop under my chin also I assume that my readers are familiar with the reasoning of noted philosophers such as Pascal and I don't need to spell it out And mummy he started it he called me loopedy loo

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

I apologize Crofty for my ad hominum cracks about IQ I critisize politicians for using it instead pf debating policies then I find myself using these tactics once again SORRY

• cofty
    cofty
    my objection is to his ignorant and arrogant assersion that anyone can prove or disprove the existence of God - Loopy Loo

It is neither ignorant nor arrogant to claim that the god of christian theism - the god and father of Jesus does not exist.

That much can be proven beyond all reasonable doubt. I submit that this thread is as compelling a proof as any reasonable person should require, but there is a lot more to be said about the evidence against the existence of Jesus' god. If you want to argue about the existence of some other vague concept of a higher power then I have no interest in discussing something so ambiguous. Once you make your mind up about which god you wish to defend let me know. I suspect it is the god of Jesus but you just lack the courage of your convictions to stick to the topic, and would prefer to boast about your IQ.

I don't think I have ever engaged in, or observed, a conversation with a christian about the existence of god where the theist didn't eventually resort to a position of deism.

I was alluding to Pascal's wager

Pascal's wager is pathetic. It relies on the false premise that the non-existence of god cannot be proven and the lie that organising your life around a delusion is not too high a price to pay.

Why would a just god reward somebody for pretending to believe something? Is he impressed by hypocrisy? Why would he punish genuine incredulity?

Pascal's Wager is a call to moral and intellectual cowardice.

I apologize Crofty for my ad hominum cracks - i suspect you have a BPD and can't help yourself ... you fuckwit Cofty ... my IQ is 140 yours I suspect is no greater than your shoe size ... I try not to argue with morons ...

So you should. So far you have avoided addressing the topic.

• Annon
    Annon

Seemingly God has an I.Q. of 1,000,000,000,000 and see the problems that has caused.

• humbled
    humbled

2,593 responses to this topic. Unedited.

It was everything. Nothing was off limits—good bad high low kind cruel . It was about...god..or what we each wondered, feared, believed ...or believed we believed. There were wounds.

But for myself there was not one voice that won out in my estimation . But each of us got the sort of thrashing that clears from our grasp what we can’t hold anymore though I held what was mine in the end. It wasn’t necessarily true for any one else. But it was mine and not the Watchtower’s nor anyone else’s.

• cofty
    cofty

It boiled down to this...

In the end there were no rational answers to this challenge and that made a lot of people very angry.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" there were no rational answers to this challenge " this is true, and I thank you Cofty for your Post on this, it has helped me to reason with a number of people who still clung on to the idea of a "loving god".

I believe once we have got rid of the idea of god as held by most believers, we are handed a wonderful intellectual freedom, and a freedom of spirit, an eradication of irrational fears.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit