Ever consider joining The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

by rawe 139 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone here left Jehovah's Witnesses to join The Churuch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? What was your motivation for doing so and how has it worked out?

If you haven't joined the LDS or considered it, as an Ex-JW, what is your general view of the LDS faith?

Cheers,

-Randy

• cofty
  • joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I was contacted on Match.com by a guy who is Mormon. That was a quick and big no way. It's a cult just like the witnesses. Their beliefs are a bit odd. I have chosen to stay out of religion all together.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

God, no.

No pun intended.

• designs
    designs

My insurance agent is LDS, I have known him for over 30 years, nice guy.

My birth doctor was Bernard Hinckley related to LDS President Hinckley.

My mother went to school with Cleon Skousen famous LDS author of The Naked Communist. I met him when I was very young at a lecture he gave.

My parents joined a Square Dance group that was mostly LDS.

All nice people.

Be sure and read the Book of Mormon sometime, you will wonder to the end of time why bright well educated people could ever believe such crap, but hey that's the power of Religion.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Never a JW here. The closest I came to considering the LDS church was when I took a religion quiz.

http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION/

It picked the Mormons for me. I looked on with horror and thought, "No Way". I have worked with colleagues whom I highly respected who were Mormon, but, no way.

No chocolate.

• blondie
    blondie

Many non-jws think jws are NICE people.

I lived in Mormon country and each one tried to convert me...I decided it was crazier than jws...God giving Adam and Eve two conflicting laws so they had to break one to keep the other, that they were never destined to live on earth; going back to heaven and being a God in your own universe....I went to one of the convert meetings and saw a film....I walked away shaking my head. I kept my LDS friends but asked them to hold off converting me.

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Designs,

"Be sure and read the Book of Mormon sometime, you will wonder to the end of time why bright well educated people could ever believe such crap, but hey that's the power of Religion."

I have read the Book of Mormon. Coming from a Bible reading background, it is pretty easy to spot the jump into KJV material in Nephi. Several consecutive chapters of KJV Isaiah are included verbatim. However, I found the read much easier than the Quran, that felt very foreign and repetition.

Cheers,

-Randy

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I felt the Mor[m]ons are little better than the jokehovians. I have seen a few, and they seemed more focused on their churches. They always seemed to be dressed up in starched shirts, with that stupid tie, and headed to almost as many meetings as the jokehovians. They do field circus, but not everyone is required to and they don't have lifetime commitments to do field circus. For me, it would have been just about impossible to do well as a Mor[m]on even if I wanted to, since celibacy (no opportunity with the opposite sex) and Mor[m]onism do not mix.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Frying pan and fire spring to mind!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit