Is it ok for a jw to join a toastmasters club?

by hoser 26 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
  • NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

The name alone would likely raise eyebrows with the elders.

• steve2
    steve2

I will answer your question with 2 questions:

If you make a toast at a toastmasters meeting will you be toast in the eyes of the elders? Yes.

On the other hand, if you don't make a toast at such a meeting but practice giving speeches instead, then what would the problem be?

• Comatose
    Comatose

If the act of toasting is devil worship then joining a devil worshiper club would be bad. It's like joining with the Wild Beast since you just wanted to use the library. You don't join the Debils clubs.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Does the WTS have a guideline on counting "um"s?

• Gopher
    Gopher

This probably falls under a "conscience decision" which, if you choose it, will not disqualify you as a JW but would call into account your loyalty to them (much like joining a bowling league). Anything like this would be considered too much worldly association, using time that you "should" spend doing JW-like activities.

Also, since a basic idea of Toastmasters is to make you a better speaker in front of others, the WTS would say they already have the Theocraptic Misery School for that.

• hoser
    hoser

It would be to gain business contacts.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I doubt it would be ok. The WT wants us to only do WT activity. I was forced to stop being a teenage hospital volunteer. My mom pointed out it is not the underlying activity but the time spent not doing Witness work.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

LOL. That would be funny, tell the elders you have joined Toastmasters and next thing you know they are pulling you in the back room and accusing you of joining a group that supports "toasting".

"Ummmm, Mr. Elder, you may want to do a little research on what Toastmasters is actually about"

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I thought it was a group of old bakers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit