Is it ok for a jw to join a toastmasters club?

by hoser 26 Replies latest jw friends

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The reason why I would consider joining is that I could put it on a resume and it would be recognized. The tms not so much

The exact reason I wanted to join. At the time, the weekly meeting was in the building where I worked, so it would have been convenient. The whole Pastor thing, though, kept me from doing it. I was an uber-JW at one time.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

While I agree that it should be a conscience decision, it's definitely not a spirituality mature decision .

SFPW - Are you really that mentally blind? Definitely not a spirituality mature decision, but of course, you're taking part on this apostate website is.

I'm sure you'll probably enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner, after you get back from field service of course, under the guise of "well, since they're on sale I decided to buy one".

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"I'm sure you'll probably enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner, after you get back from field service of course, under the guise of "well, since they're on sale I decided to buy one"."

And the problem with that is what?

Why do people pick in StandforPure Worship by saying he should not be posting here? What is wrong with healthy debate that stays on topic and does not go into namecalling?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Rattigan if you don't know by now, then forget it

• steve2
    steve2

Why do people pick in StandforPure Worship by saying he should not be posting here? What is wrong with healthy debate that stays on topic and does not go into namecalling?

Rattigan350, you make good sense and you are fair-minded - excellent qualities!

I have never told - or expected - SfPW not to post. He has not violated any posting rules here and it is healthy for all of us to be exposed to alternative views, regardless of the uncomfortable reactions that may be evoked.

What I have responded to is the man's wide-eyed and (seemingly) blatant hypocrisy. In short, he intones the GB's instructions when it suits and ignores them when it doesn't (hence his smooth capacity to post here unconcerned about GB's instructions to not sup with apostates). In this regard, he is an anonymous "rebel" or to put it more provocatively, an "unofficial" apostate (through associative taint). He is closer to us than he may like to think (and I'm also inclined to think he shows more empathy than others give him credit).

I would react the same if an ex-JW displayed such hypocrisy. In life, regardless of setting or circumstance, there are few things more intriguing than the selectively contradictory standards humans feel justified in displaying. From that point of view, SfPW is comfortably human. He will continue to post I am sure and others will question his motives and standards. But I do agree with you: The name calling by some is uncalled for. Afterall, like all humans everywhere, SfPW has to live with himself. Ultimately, what he does - does not do - is between him and his conscience. Best!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Well now. Back on topic:

Here is a picture of the Great Harlot of Babylon toasting. Clearly, she had no concern for Jehovah's feelings on the matter of joining Toastmasters.

• Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly

Although there is no conflict for a Christian, each body of elders decides what is acceptable for its congregation. I know of congregations which permitted members to belong to the YMCA even though the organization said joining is apostasy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit