Mass Disfellowshippings of Inactive Ones

by bytheirworks 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

I do see what you mean gingerbread. That said, the organization already has at its disposal a range of measures to "mark" those it disapproves of who don't quite qualify for disfellowshipping. I think you make your best point regarding the old timers who once stood up to bullying by elders and the elders backed down. My now deceased mother refused to shun me despite elders expecting her to. She was known to give them a piece of her mind in defense of her offspring - and boy did they back off. She may not have "got" away with her "attitude" in the current climate - but I doubt they would have ever kicked her out - probably just "marked" her as a wilfully eccentric old sister.

• Incognito
    Incognito

With so many children of long term JWs walking away, disfellowshipping inactives may raise concerns with some JW parental units who would otherwise happily adhere to and never question WT rules and proclaimations.

Some JW's find some comfort that their children even though not attending and have rejected the "faith", trust that their children will still have some measure of Jah's favour even if their children just do even the smallest of tasks favourable to the organization.

One couple who we know told us that they stress to their adult child who years ago walked away and was then 'living in sin', to at least attend the memorial each year so as to stay in association with the organization. They also regularly tell their 'child' to do exactly what they tell him/her to do without question, even if what they say seems unreasonable or strange as following their direction may save the childs life at armageddon.

While some are relying on technicalities with the hope that their children are saved, others have and will continue to shun their children that have walked away even if the WT says little more than what has already been said over the years.

If the WT were to do anything, I doubt they would disfellowship walkaways but instead, do similar to those JWs who accept a blood transfussion; ie: proclaim that they themselves have disassociated themselves by not attending the feast at Jehovah's table as they are rejecting to the authority of the GB who are put inplace by Jehovah to oversee his earthly organization.

I think that by claiming that inactive have disassociated themselves, the concept would likely be more accepted as the parents could feel that their child made the decision themselves. Those treating the inactive as not to be associated with would continue to do so just as they have.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w82 1/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

My son, who was baptized as a teenager, is now married and has a family. Because of the pressure of earning a living he has cooled off spiritually and does not associate with the congregation. Should he be viewed as a “disassociated” person?

There is nothing in your description that would require such a viewpoint. The question may have arisen because of misunderstanding what it means to be viewed as “disassociated.”

The Watchtowerof September 15, 1981, page 23, showed that there is a difference between (a) a Christian who becomes spiritually weak and inactive, and (b) a person who clearly renounces his being one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, leading the congregation elders to announce that he has “disassociated” himself. It seems that your son fits the first description.

The Watchtower mentioned that some Christians become weak in faith and spirituality. This occurred also in the first century. (Romans 14:1, 2; 1 Corinthians 11:30) It does not mean that they have ceased to be Christians. Even if they become so weak that they no longer share the “good news” with others and stop attending meetings, and they are not bringing reproach on the Christian congregation, they are still to be regarded as our spiritual brothers and sisters. We should want to help them lovingly, following the apostle Paul’s counsel: “We exhort you, brothers, admonish the disorderly, speak consolingly to the depressed souls, support the weak, be long-suffering toward all.” While the elders often take the lead in this, it is to be noted that this counsel was directed to all “the congregation of the Thessalonians.” (1 Thessalonians 1:1; 5:14) So the elders and others might offer loving help and encouragement, having in mind the advice: “Straighten up the hands that hang down and the enfeebled knees, and keep making straight paths for your feet, that what is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather that it may be healed.”—Hebrews 12:12, 13; Revelation 3:1-3.

It is quite a different matter with a former Christian who is “disassociated.” This designation is applied basically in two situations:

First, though it is uncommon, a person might decide that he absolutely no longer wants to be a Witness. We do not mean a person such as is described above, a spiritually weak or discouraged Christian who may express some doubts. Rather, we mean someone who resolutely declares that he absolutely is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Since in the past he voluntarily became a baptized member of the congregation, it would now be proper for him to inform the congregation that he is ending this relationship. It would be best if he did this in a brief letter to the elders, but even if he unequivocally states orally that he is renouncing his standing as a Witness, the elders can deal with the matter.—1 John 2:19.

The second situation involves a person who renounces his standing in the congregation by joining a secular organization whose purpose is contrary to counsel such as that found at Isaiah 2:4, where we read concerning God’s servants: “They will have to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore.” Also, as stated at John 17:16, “they are no part of the world, just as I [Jesus] am no part of the world.”—Compare Revelation 19:17-21.

In either of these two situations, the person by word and/or actions has clearly terminated his status as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, disassociating himself. Hence, the elders will announce briefly to the congregation that this individual has disassociated himself. Those in the congregation will accept the person’s decision and thereafter will view him as a former brother with whom they would not fellowship, in harmony with what we read at 1 Corinthians 5:11 and 2 John 9-11.

As can be appreciated, the spiritually weak and inactive son about whom the question was asked has not become a “disassociated” person in either of these two senses and no such announcement has been made in the congregation. So it still may be possible to aid him in the spirit of Romans 15:1: “We, though, who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those not strong.”—See also Isaiah 35:3.

*** w05 4/15 p. 20 par. 22 Let God’s Word Light Your Roadway ***

The psalmist wanted to keep living and praising Jehovah, but in some undisclosed way, he had ‘wandered like a lost sheep.’ (Psalm 119:175, 176) Some who have wandered away from the Christian congregation may still love God and may want to praise him. Let us therefore do all we can to help them so that they may again find spiritual security and experience the joy of praising Jehovah with his people.—Hebrews 13:15; 1 Peter 5:6, 7.

*** km 2/01 p. 4 par. 10 Make Known Jehovah’s Name and Dealings ***

Each year, though, some in our midst cease to associate with us, and they stop telling others about Jehovah’s name and dealings. We have good reason for concern. Although most inactive ones have not abandoned the truth, they may have stopped preaching because of discouragement, personal problems, or other anxieties of life. (Matt. 13:20-22)

*** km 2/82 p. 7 par. 4 Can They Be Helped? ***

For example, a sister who had been away many years felt that Jehovah and the congregation no longer cared for her. A sister called on this ‘lost sheep’ and read selected paragraphs to her from The Watchtower. Learning that Jehovah did still care, the inactive sister began to weep. She had stopped associating due to many family problems and discouragement, wrongly assuming she had been disfellowshipped because of her long absence. This ‘lost sheep’ came to appreciate Jehovah’s mercy and that he was still interested in her.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think anyone who is inactive and seen as a "risk" will simply be included in the following counsel, whether it is a Special Needs Talk, or private counsel given to active ones close to them:

(1 John 2:19) . . .They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us. But [they went out] that it might be shown up that not all are of our sort.

Then some caveat will be said that "of course we know that script is about the "anti-Christ" but obviously you can see how it applys to Brother & Sister Inactive-with-maybe-Apostate-Ideas. Then follow it up with 1 Cor 15:33 and you can see how clearly they are NOT good association.

Doc

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

While not a Corporation sanction of mass DF'n of inactive ones they have a system in place that seeks out inactive ones for encouragement to become active again in the Corporation's works for them of placing printed Corporation propaganda and attending meetings of indoctrination. Durring such personal calls on inactive ones for "encouragement" purposes questions can be asked that put inactive ones at risk of being dismembered if answered wrongly. This seems to be the most effective way to deal with inactive ones by the Corporation at present to avoid contagion of doubts spreading among the R&F that doesn't raise alarm bells going off in the heads of the normal rank & file.

I think they will keep this process in operation as long as things don't start going down hill at a too fast of pace for the Corporation as in membership loss. If thing get worse maybe they might even go so far as a mass DF'n of everyone not doing the Corporation's proscribed duites for the rank and file.

• bytheirworks
    bytheirworks

I see many posters quoting past articles. All of those can be washed away with "new light."

The disfellowshipping of all inactive ones (a call to shun weak family & friends) would harmonize closely with the following:

Watchtower November 15, 2013 page 20

Simplified Edition

(3) At that time, the direction that
    you receive from Jehovah’s organization
    may seem strange or unusual. But
    all of us must be ready to obey any
    instructions we may receive, whether
    we agree with them or not, because
    obeying these instructions will save
    our lives.

English Edition

(3) At that time, the lifesaving
    direction that we receive from
    Jehovah’s organization may not appear
    practical from a human standpoint. All
    of us must be ready to obey any instructions
    we may receive, whether these appear
    sound from a strategic or human
    standpoint or not.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• besty
    besty

inactive, faders, conscious class - they are all doing a great job. thank you!

It must really infuriate the WTS that the Internet makes it so easy for people to find out how to leave without being DF'd.

I wouldn't be surpised if the WTS takes a much more whiny tone about these ones - if skipping ministry and meetings becomes a DF offense I would be delighted.

• blondie
    blondie

What does it mean to be inactive per the WTS? Not to turn in time for 6 months consecutively. What if someone does not turn in time for 5 months, but then turns in time the sixth month...they are considered irregular.

Being inactive has nothing to do with meeting attendance. I have known jws who turned in time but did not attend the meetings and the elders accepted it and posted it on their publisher card and did not count them as inactive.

If you are talking about a jw that does not attend any meetings any more and does not turn in time and talks negatively about the WTS....that is more than being inactive.

I have seen certain elders or BOEs hunt down jws that no longer attend or turn in time, trying to trip them up verbally to disassociate themselves by their definition but this is not the official policy of the WTS.

So far the WTS has tried to get inactive jws back into the "fold" even calling on some who are df'd or da'd...(at the elders discretion or motivation).

Don't confuse doctrinal issues with disciplinary issues.

In 2012 the WTS had this article:

*** w12 4/1 pp. 10-11 “Please Let Us Come Home” ***Draw Close to God

Did you at one time serve Jehovah? Have you thought about serving him again but wondered whether he would welcome you back? Please carefully read this article and the one that follows. They were prepared especially with you in mind.

“I PRAYED to Jehovah to please let me come home and to forgive me for hurting him.” So said one woman who had strayed far from her Christian upbringing. Does your heart go out to her? Do you wonder: ‘How does God feel about those who once served him? Does he remember them? Does he want them to “come home”?’ To answer those questions, let us examine words recorded by Jeremiah. The answers will no doubt warm your heart.—Read Jeremiah 31:18-20.

Consider the setting of Jeremiah’s words. In 740 B.C.E., decades before Jeremiah’s day, Jehovah permitted the ten-tribe kingdom of Israel to be taken captive by the Assyrians. God allowed this calamity as discipline because his people had taken up sinning in gross ways, ignoring the repeated warnings of his prophets. (2 Kings 17:5-18) Were the people softened by the hardships they experienced in exile, when they were separated from their God and far away from their homeland? Did Jehovah forget all about them? Would he ever welcome them back home?

“I Felt Regret”

The people came to their senses in captivity and were moved to repentance. Their heartfelt contrition did not escape Jehovah’s notice. Listen as Jehovah describes the attitude and feelings of the exiled Israelites, spoken of collectively as Ephraim.

“I have positively heard Ephraim bemoaning himself,”

says Jehovah. (Verse 18) He heard the Israelites as they lamented the effects of their sinful course. The phrase “bemoaning himself” can mean “a shaking or rocking motion,” says one scholar. They were like a wayward son ruefully shaking his head as he reflects on the hardships he has brought upon himself and longs for the life he had back home. (Luke 15:11-17) What were the people saying?

“You have corrected me .

. . like a calf that has not been trained.” (Verse 18) The people acknowledged that they deserved the discipline. After all, they had been like an untrained calf. This simile may mean that they had been like a bullock that would never have “felt the goad if he had not first rebelled against the yoke,” says one reference work.

“Cause me to turn back, and I shall readily turn back, for you are Jehovah my God.”

(Verse 18) Their hearts humbled, the people called out to God. They had been lost in a sinful course, but now they pleaded for help to find their way back into his favor. One translation says: “You are our God—please let us come home.”—

Contemporary English Version.

“I felt regret. .

. . I became ashamed, and I also felt humiliated.” (Verse 19) The people felt sorry because they had sinned. They accepted the blame and admitted their guilt. As if beating their breast, they also felt disgraced and cast down.—Luke 15:18, 19, 21.

The Israelites were repentant. They were filled with sorrow, confessed their sins to God, and turned back from their bad ways. Would their repentance soften God’s heart? Would he let them come home?

“By All Means I Shall Have Pity Upon Him”

Jehovah had a special attachment to the Israelites. He said: “I have become to Israel a Father; and as for Ephraim, he is my firstborn.” (Jeremiah 31:9) How could a loving father refuse to welcome back a son whose heart is filled with genuine remorse? Notice how Jehovah expresses his Fatherly feelings for his people.

“Is Ephraim a precious son to me, or a fondly treated child? For to the extent of my speaking against him I shall without fail remember him further.”

(Verse 20) How tender those words are! Like a firm but loving parent, God had been obliged to speak “against” his children, repeatedly warning them about their sinful ways. When they stubbornly refused to listen, he let them go into exile—in effect, making them leave home. But even though he had to punish them, he did not forget them. He could never do that. A loving father does not forget his children. How, though, did Jehovah feel when he saw true repentance in his children?

“My intestines have become boisterous for him. By all means I shall have pity upon him.”

(Verse 20) Jehovah felt a strong yearning for his children. Their sincere repentance touched his heart, and he had a deep longing for them to return to him. Like the father in Jesus’ parable of the prodigal son, Jehovah “was moved with pity” and eager to welcome his children back home.—Luke 15:20.

“Jehovah Let Me Come Home!”

The words at Jeremiah 31:18-20 give us insight into Jehovah’s tender compassion and mercy. God does not forget those who once served him. What if such ones want to return to him? God is “ready to forgive.” (Psalm 86:5) He will never turn away those who come to him with repentant hearts. (Psalm 51:17) On the contrary, he is happy to welcome them home.—Luke 15:22-24.

The woman mentioned at the outset took the initiative to return to Jehovah and visited a local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. At first, she had to overcome her own negative feelings. “I felt so unworthy,” she recalls. But the congregation’s elders offered encouragement and helped her to regain spiritual strength. With a heart full of appreciation, she says, “It is so wonderful that Jehovah let me come home!”

If you once served Jehovah and have thought about serving him again, we invite you to visit the local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Remember that Jehovah responds with compassion and mercy when repentant ones call out to him, “Please let us come home.”

Commenting on this word picture about intestinal agitation, a guide for Bible translators explains: “For the Jews the interior of the body was the center for emotions.”

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

Btw,

Can u elaborate on "the word out of bethel?" How did you hear this? Is your source a bethelite? With connections? How would a bethelite even know what the powers that be are planning?

Anything is possible in a cult and theyve definetly got some funky mess planned...but ever it is, im sure its a VERY closely guarded secret. I just cant see how it would be leaked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit