My Letter to Brooklyn about the Parousia that got me disfellowshipped

by cofty 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• prologos
    prologos

inbetween- epicycles, that is an EXELLENT analogy. triggerd by cofty's sacrifice.

even Cpoernicus, when he got the sun-center right, still did not better because he stuck to epi-cycles. so to follow that lead:

even IF WT would get a major doctrine right in the future, results would lack because

it will take a keppler to get them/us out of the epicycles. and

a newton to get to the bottom of it and

an Einstein to refine the subtleties and

make the best of our own precious lives.

now, where we live from moment to moment.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Great letter. It reminds me of an essay written by Alan Fuerbacher. Alan F was the first to get me thinking that the prophecies about the sign and the parousia, etc, would unfold differently than what I had been taught as a JW.

As it happens, the WTS seems to be gradually shifting everything to a later fulfillment anyway. For instance, now the FDS will not be appointed over all the belongings of Christ until later, rather than since 1918.

It would not surprise me at all that one day their teaching will match your letter almost exactly.

• erbie
    erbie

Well done for trying Cofty but I would imagine your letter went right over their heads.

You can't reason with the unreasonable ones.

Still, I guess they understood enough of it to see that it exposed their lies and decided to punish you for it.

Top marks anyway

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

BTTT!

Bravo Cofty- great letter.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Great letter Cofty.

Recent thoughts along these lines are leading me to conclude that Adventism (as it is practiced) is Antichrist apostasy (based on outcomes).

"Evidently" you were quite the scholar during the "bloom of youth".

As LostGeneration said: "In short, it displays the nature of this religion, no room for dissent or question, no matter how well you reason it out..."

"Evidently" many of us (like myself) had to find this out firsthand (the hard way) before the blinkers and rose coloured glasses fell off.

(Why does the "true religion" secretly blind its followers to the "Good News" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms?)

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I like to think that I was a good Witness back when I was a believer, but the truth is that when we would study material like the meaning of Christ's "parousia", my eyes would just glaze over, at least in my last decade as a "believer". I think on some level it was because I felt like it was basically pointless to question the GB since they obviously were confident in whatever meaning they were giving to various scriptures. I might have sensed that it was illogical, and didn't want to have to disagree with what they were teaching, so I would just go along with whatever they wrote. After all, it might change in the future anyway, so why get worked up about it?

Even as believers, I think myself and a few JWs I knew were quietly awaiting certain adjustments that seemed called for, and we would occasionally make comments to each other to the effect that maybe the slave would have an improved understanding of some matters later on. However, there's a certain passivity there which is the hallmark of a cult follower -- that even having doubts, a person says, "Well, they'll explain this better later on, or maybe it's my understanding that's lacking; I'll just stick around in the meantime until this is cleared up."

But you, cofty, you actually took the time to sort out all the scriptures related to Jesus' presence and arrival, and arrive at a more logical reading. Clearly you were really interested in finding the truth, unlike a lot of us who were just going along with the flow. I'm not sure what you expected to accomplish with your letter, but maybe it was the only way you could "get out of the truth" honestly, by escalating your misgivings to the level where they had to be validated or confirmed by whatever reaction you received.

• Ding
    Ding

Too much thinking, Cofty.

JWs are supposed to let the GB do all the thinking for them.

I wonder if anyone at Bethel even read what you wrote.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing that has to be realized is that the WTS. doctrines set decades ago created something of

monumental importance to the leaders of this organization, for these doctrines cultivated an expanding

and assuming amount of actual power and control toward themselves, they were not only expressed vehicles

to attract attention to the organization's published literature.

That being so the WTS. heads set about on strenuous act to protect these set doctrines which was

previously created and once the publishing organization got continuously developed this put even more

pressure to reattain those doctrines from a financial operational perspective.

Opposing those doctrines and revealing their faults could potential also break down the image

that the organization was NOT solemnly chosen by god as his earthly organization.

So retrospectively you can see from all those tangible aspects why the WTS. had to protect which it

previously created.

Being critical of any manufactured product within a organized company is a sure fire way to

get yourself fired (muzzled) by the assuming top governing directors.

The leaders of this organization known as the GB have in their grasp a huge amount of power, control and money now which creates its own vital necessity

to protect which is apparently there, if not only for themselves but the operation of the entire organization spread around the world.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cofty: I wish to stress that I mean no disrespect to the governing body. My motive is simply to seek an answer to these questions as far as is reasonably possible. I certainly will not be advocating to others, views that contradict those of the society.

That fact that you (at one time) even thought you had to put that qualification in your letter says so much about the GB, and how you perceived them. The average JW is so deferential to the WT leaders that it borders on creature worship. It certainly isn't equal, let alone scriptural - Matthew 23:1-15.

Of course, the subsequent fact tht you were DF'd for asking such questions--even WITH the above qualification--speaks volumes as to the type of narcissistic control freaks the GB are!

It's a cult, plain and simple.

I'm glad you woke up and are living your own life Cofty!

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks Oubliette. I am embarassed by my sychophancy but it did me no good when it came to the JC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit