My Letter to Brooklyn about the Parousia that got me disfellowshipped

by cofty 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cofty: I think its when you feel let down that you give yourself permission to look carefully at all the doubts that you have suppressed previously.

Yes, exactly! Steven Hassan makes this point in his book, Releasing the Bonds. People in a cult are more likely to question things after being mistreated and disillusioned by hypocrisy than they are over straight-forward doctrinal discrepancies.

This is important to keep in mind for any of us trying to reach loved ones still stuck in the cult: Never discuss doctrine! If they're not ready, it will only cause them to become defensive and resort to thought-stopping techniques.

Cofty: I researched blood and the great crowd in particular and in both cases discovered that the Watchtower had got it wrong. I only used the bible and Society publications.

Ah yes, the WTBTS's greatest enemy is their own publications. This is why WT Quotes and jwfacts.com are so devastating to their facade of truth.

Cofty: The elder who couldn't remember where the great crowd were supposed to be also served on my JC.

In one of my Judicial Hearings all three elders misquoted and/or misapplied 3 separate doctrines. Now ordinarily I could understand this; WT doctrines are confusing, contradictory, incoherent and change frequently.

My issue is that they condemned me for questioning doctrines that they couldn't even keep straight. At least I know what the present truth is and can clearly articulate it.

It's pretty ironic actually: I at least know what it is that I don't believe; they claim to "believe" whatever the WT publishes, but they can't even explain those "beliefs" properly.

Once a JW wakes up and learns TTATT he or she realizes they are in a cult.

• cofty
    cofty
    Once a JW wakes up and learns TTATT he or she realizes they are in a cult. - Oubliette

It really is a moment of no return when you realise you have been fooled. It's exhilarating and terrifying in equal measure.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cofty: It's exhilarating and terrifying in equal measure.

What an interesting way to express it! I'm gonna' use it.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Although they live over 100 miles away my local elders drove to their house and took a statement from them. I then got a visit from two elders inviting me to a meeting so we could all have a chat and try to help me. Yeah right! I insisted on knowing if it ws JC, what the charge was and who my accusers were.

If you had attended the meeting, let them set you straight and tore up the letter, would they have backed off? When the big lions come through, the younger lions roll over on their backs in acquiescence.

Anyway long story short they dragged my in laws up to Berwick to tell a lot of lies. My MIL sat reading from notes that were in my FILs handwriting. The JC was pathetic but that's another thread.

So what does your FIL have against you? You apparently trusted him enough to let you read the letter. What would have happened if the elders had stood up for you?

• cofty
    cofty
    If you had attended the meeting, let them set you straight and tore up the letter, would they have backed off?

Probably, but by then I had nothing but contempt for them and I let it show at the judicial meetings. They try to dominate proceedings at a judicial and intimidate the accused but I took pleasure in turning the tables. In retrospect I should have failed to turn up and told them to go f### themselves.

So what does your FIL have against you?

He is a nasty, egocentric, manipulative, narcissistic control freak. I didn't grovel to him so he hated me. Again, in retrospect........

I am certain the elders were under instructions from the new circuit overseer to get rid of me by then. The JC was a farce.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It's kind of fun to watch what happens when some narcissistic asshole can't make you roll over. I love watching the emotions flit across their faces when they realize there's nothing they can do, watch them go through all their tricks and tools to no avail.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Cofty: It's exhilarating and terrifying in equal measure.

What a perfect way to express the feeling!!! Cofty, hope you get well soon and may enjoy many more years of freedom.

• *lost*
    *lost*

bumped to read later

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

If you read the bible for the first time with no preconceived ideas they are exactly the beliefs you would be left with.

he he. Nice kiss but the GB doesn't even agree with this point. I used to wholeheartedly believe it though. WE HAVE THE TRUTH DANGIT!!!

• inbetween
    inbetween

cofty, wow I'm so impressed.

I remember, when a WT-article around 1995 came out with a verse to verse explanation of Matth 24, Luke 21 and mark 13, I really, as a full believer, tried to study and to understand, since I alwas liked the more "deep things", but I couldnt get the whole idea.

Now i know why, when you try to fit the 1914 teaching in it, it cannot make sense, therefore the society always needed to adjust the understanding (generation, sheep-goat, signs in heaven, fds). Its like adding epi-cycles ;-)

In our family worship night, which i use to slowly get my wife to learn TTATT, we go through this information again. Your reasoning, cofty, is something I will use. Suddenly everything is soo clear....thanks again for posting it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit