Why did you stop believing in God?

by The Quiet One 118 Replies latest jw experiences

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

While Jehovah's Witnesses sit in Watchtower studies, smugly reading the paragraphs,

and the questions and locating the answer in the paragraph and underlining it,

other people are out there examining the real world, learning from what IS and

observing how the universe functions. This is the real study of God.

Complex, never ending variety, in the sea, on the land, in the atmosphere,

in energy fields, in magnetic fields, in obscure species. These people in the

the REAL "field service" ; working to find causes of disease, bringing back news

of how we humans are altering the function of the planet and warn us of

a different kind of Armaggedon that we can prevent by education and cooperation.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I stopped believing in everything.

There are things with a preponderance of evidence, enough evidence for me to proceed through life as if they are true.

There are things with a lack of evidence, such a lack that it is only practical for me to proceed through life as if they are false. Bible god is one of these.

There are A LOT of things I simply don't know enough about to make an informed decision. These things are waiting for me to learn them. :)

• cofty
    cofty
    You seem to think every believer is suffering from a "delusion". - Deputy Dog

Yes I do.

Is it really that hard for you to understand that some believers could find genuine peace, even joy, in a God who gives purpose to suffering?

"purpose to suffering" - Really?

250 000 men, women and children wiped out in the Asian tsunami had a purpose did it? Please tell us what that purpose was.

A person who is diagnosed with Huntingtons Chorea who can know from a genetic test at what age they will mercifully pass away after 20 years of suffering with no hope of a cure. Please tell us what your god's purpose is in that. Maybe next time I go to the cancer unit at Newcastle you would like to come with me to meet some of the children and their parents and tell them what the purpose is of their disease.

Yes I am certain believers are delusional.

I'd like to understand how YOU cope with suffering, like the suffering in the Tsunami for example, what purpose does it serve?

I cope by facing up uncompromisingly to the fact that there is no purpose.

other people are out there examining the real world, learning from what IS and observing how the universe functions. This is the real study of God. - villagegirl

No its the study of reality. The study of god happens in the imaginations of theologists.

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

Terry...

• Because of Human suffering...

God: look I sent my only begotten son to die for you, so you may live!...but not before everyone one of you die too.

Mankind: …..Um Thannk you??? Were sorry, how did he die? What can we do to help you with your loss?

God: My son suffered 3 days and died on a stakecross . ..Now I need some of yours to die and in more painful ways then you can imagine and suffer for years, even decades and then DIE TOO. But don't blame me!

The devil made me do it! IT'S SATIN'S FALUT!

PS: Remember I AM A GOD OF LOVE.........I Love Youuu (now read and repeat 1John 4:8)

God: Oh, one more thing-----Pray to me and ask me for help and I will. Just ask your friends they will vouch for me.

Sw

• His Excellency
    His Excellency

I stoped believing in God, Because He refused to reveal himself to me. So It was not me who stopped believing in God, It was actually God who didnt notice me

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Actually, it WAS you that stopped believing in God, not that he didn't notice you.. If God doesn't exist, as you believe, he can't FAIL to notice anyone. Good point though, maybe I'm just being picky today :)

• xchange
    xchange

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.............nothing.

God, God, God.........nothing.*

Just what I thought.

* All monikers invoked.

• bohm
    bohm

never really believed in god, but got convinced the bible was ridiculous by reading it.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Solomon said, " The swift don't always have the race, or the mighty

ones the battle... because chance and circumstance befall them all "

Evey one of you here, who is angry at God or insists he cannot exist,

base it on the assumption God programs everything,

is involved in every disease, from the common cold to cancer;

he pre-plans everything, he chooses everything? Really ?

And you think he should let YOU in on what he is doing and why he is doing it,

intervening or not intervening when you want him to.

And mostly you want a schedule of future events

along with an explanation of why you have black hair or blond hair ??

You want answers for everything.

Wait a minute, isn't that what the Watchtower promises ?

Answers for everything in minute detail, paragraphs numbered, wrapped

up in a 45 minute Watchtower study ?

Just look it up in volume # ___ paragraph 12

line 5, Blondie will look it up for you. Grow up people. Stop whining.

Did it occur to you that childhood cancer is probably due to OUR

massive contamination of our food by chemicals ?

Do to smoking, drug addicted, and junk food eating, parents ??

Do to air quality, contaminated by humans, due to nitrates in hot dogs

and bacon and the lunch meat, ham and sausages and dips and chips

and massive amounts of sugar and salt in our diets ??

Did it occur to you God may have set things in motion and then left it to

free will and our decision making to create the world we see ??

Who said evolution and creation are at odds ? And why would that be ?

You think the Bible is stupid ?

How did Isaiah know "the earth is sphere and hangs upon nothing" ??

The Hebrew law created a society where people washed themselves,

and had a legal system and cared for the poor.

The rest of mankind was not doing as well without this law.

Jesus encouraged us to treat each other as brothers and care for one another.

What we did with that was not his fault.

The idea that every thing is caused by and planned by

God is a theology called Calvinism. You need to read some books people.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I am not into debating the existence of God, but I hope you get some replies Villagegirl. I did notice you use many sweeping generalizations about non believers and also demanded they educate themselves. More often than not it is the athiests who have science, facts and education on there side.

I hope you get a reply from cofty and consider his posts carefully with an open mind.

Just on the bible teaching the earth was round. The verse in Isaiah could refer to a round flat earth. When you consider that he mentions spreading a tent over the earth it would seem he meant flat. Also Satan takes Jesus to a unusually high mountain where he can view all the Kingdoms of earth, this would include the Shang Dynasty in China plus civilizations in America and so on. Seems to refer to a flat earth. In Daniel 4 the tree grows to such a height that it is visible in all the earth. Seems to refer to a flat earth. Again in Job, the bible says the earth takes shape like a clay seal, which again would seem to indicate the belief in a flat earth.

The bible doesn't really say for sure either way what the shape of the earth is, but picking out one verse in isolation and trying to make the bible sound like an ancient inspired science text book does nothing to prove the existence of God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit