Why did you stop believing in God?

by The Quiet One 118 Replies latest jw experiences

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Everyone always makes up a god in their own image who just happens to match the intellectual, social and emotional state they imagine is ideal however, their personal god never does , says or reveals anything that supersedes what that individual can do. To be fair though, my god truly was awesome ;)

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

I believe in God because I see intelligent design in everything,

by "design" I do NOT mean exact programming, or intervention.

I believe in science and physics and the mathematical Heisenberg

uncertainty principle. God may, or may not, cause or prevent anything.

Mankind has acted on his own enviroment, to cause much of what

we experience as chaos, pain, disease, birth defects, war, destruction.

I see beauty everywhere, may be because I am a visual artist. I am

mostly happy for no real reason except very simple things. People

can be rotten, but they can also be creative, joyful, funny, loving.

My experience is that we must act or be acted upon. Most of what

happened in my life was a direct result of decisions I made or failed to

make, good or bad. It was cause and effect. I used to think the WT was

the "truth" I was a convert at 15 years old, real convinced. It was difficult

for me to realize there were other spiritual paths, it didn't have to be

the WT way or no way at all. I think the fact we are conscious is evidence

that there are other consiousnessnes. That there are forms invisable to us is

proven by scientists and mathematics. To try to define exactly what or who

God is, is to try to make him in our own image. We cannot grasp it.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I believe in God because I see intelligent design in everything,

God may, or may not, cause or prevent anything.

Villagegirl, these 2 statements contradict themselves.

Please explain the intelligent design in:

1) Brain diseases such as Dementia and Alzheimer's

2) HIV/AIDS

3) Soft shelled turtles urinating through their mouths

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Village Girl, as part of my job I need to design things. Design is a completely separate task to construction though construction can inform design and design can be changed during construction. In a world replete with construction would you be able to point out where the design models are? When I look for the design of code I write I do not go to the actual code but rather the design models. I do not think that it is possible to see any such models. If you termed that which you see as 'intelligent construction' I'd understand more and maybe be able to discuss how order and function are evidently possible without anything more intelligent than chemistry and an energy source. If however, you wish to look at physics as evidence of some intelligence then perhaps we need to talk about 'intelligent requirements', boundary conditions and rules in which material change must occur; this deist style being would be a totally different discussion and would be evidenced by different things than the creator style being.

• still thinking
    still thinking

LMAO Heaven...I didn't know that about turtles...in fact, I didn't know that some turtles had soft shells.

I had to have a look...thanks Sometimes I can't believe how many strange animals there are out there. Isn't nature great!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121011090643.htm

sorry, didn't mean to derail. That was just so interesting.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

God told me to. Or was it Jesus?

But it's safe to say either way that I would be in need of psychiatric assistance if I was indeed hearing either of them, ..which I'm not and never have been, i'm just making a point, which by now you may well have got the gist of.

Anyhooo, God exists because he's on twitter: https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod its all the evidence anyone could ever wish for and then some...

In the meantime here's some snails, snailing...

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

No problem.. who could ignore such a thing? Derail if you like, this ain't a WT study! :)

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Love this tweet from God.. "Sexist? Hardly! Why, in Exodus 21 I expressly forbid a man from selling his daughter into slavery to anyone but a local. #progressive"

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

God loved parasitic wasps so much he made oodles and oodles of the lovely buggers, something that might cause one to wonder above the all loving creator maybe ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichneumonidae

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Good point here from Villagegirl .. "To try to define exactly what or who God is, is to try to make him in our own image. We cannot grasp it."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit