AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I was surprised this afternoon to see this thread locked. Glad Simon has straightened out what happened. Thank you.

I believe there are growing pains that go on, and I understand mistakes are made. The Facebook thing is a biggie. Admit the mistakes and move on.

But I'm still really concerned that AAWA seems to be so unwilling to hear the concerns and feedback from the community they purport to be wanting to help and are so quick to shut down any kind of constructive feedback. Pretty much anyone who has expressed issues with the name has also said they support the organization and its mandate. Why is that a problem?

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

fizzy,

Then you need to contact that person and express your displeasure - if in fact you are displeased about being on the FB page. There may have been a few individuals added along the way by folks within our group, but the mass immigration of new members was primarily due to one over eager person.

wasblind,

I agree wholeheartedly. But we are still going through growing pains. We know there will be a few missteps along the way, but our hearts are in the right place and we know that we have a group that can succeed with just a little support from folks like you and others here on JWN.

JV

• wasblind
  • Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Jehovah has already begun removing the wheels off of AAWA's chariots. Praise Jah for His auto-referral plague!

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

Then you need to contact that person and express your displeasure - if in fact you are displeased about being on the FB page. There may have been a few individuals added along the way by folks within our group, but the mass immigration of new members was primarily due to one over eager person.

Thanks; I think I'll continue to express my displeasure here. AAWA is responsible for its actions and that of its members. This person was indeed one of your associates and acting as a coordinator on behalf of AAWA, and this person is the same person who outed some of my friends without their knowledge. As Mamochan said, take responsibility and move on; don't let it happen again.

But yes, it was very upsetting to see AAWA board members posting and crowing about how quickly their Facebook group was growing, knowing that someone associated with AAWA had outed FB friends of mine.

You seem to be taking the position, "The people who outed faders on Facebook were not associated with AAWA, but if they were, then you need to contact them directly about it." And...no. If they are your associates or volunteers or part of your planning committee, you are ultimately responsible for their actions. Being added to a Facebook group is irritating/rude for me, but for others, it has made a mess of their REAL PERSONAL LIVES. I'm not sure how much it means to them that you chalk it up to "oopsie, growing pains, but our hearts are in a good place". They're still stuck scrambling to figure out what to do now that they've been put on the radar.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yes,I was added to the group before I even knew what it was. And although,I agree with the objectives of the group,as a fader,I'm uncomfortable having my name as a part of it.

Fortunately,I don't have any active Witnesses on my page. Honestly,I don't even know how to opt out of the group.

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

EmptyInside,

Yeah; FB doesn't exactly make it very obvious. Click the "gear" symbol on the top right of the page, and you will get a drop down menu with several options including "leave group".

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Thank you fizzywiglet,I figured it out.

I want to add,I do support the premise of the group. But,in my local hall it is finally being noticed that I am not there. Yeah,it took them awhile,lol. But,so far,they are leaving me alone,and I don't want to rock the boat.

Plus,right now,it may be selfish,but I've moved on to other issues that are important to me,and choose to focus on these things right now.

But,I wish the group success in their objectives.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Things like this make me very uneasy. I understand "AAWA" is new, is having growing pains. I do not know if all the temperments at the top level(s) of leadership are suited for the position(s). It seems that any dissent or disagreement is handled with the same heavy hand as that of the WTBTS. Don't like us? We'll shut you down, block your post, lock the thread, etc. It also seems that legitimate, reasonable questions are seen as attacks rather than requests for information.

The name and its angry tone does not sit well with me. If recovery, healing, understanding, and support for any JWs who wish to leave the WT organization -- is supposed to be one of AAWA's leading goals, then why not choose a name which has a much more positive focus? Steve Hasson recommends being subtle, gentle... because you are dealing with MIND CONTROL. You cannot open a person's mind who immediately thinks of you as antagonistic, apostate, or anti-WT.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hello Cedars and All,

I know you are very excited about your new "baby" and the name and webpage you have developed for it. Just like there are all kinds of music, clothes, foods, restaurants, etc. for a person to choose from...how do I say this politely? I am glad I now know TTATT and am not looking for additional websites . I am an older Lady, that has spent my entire life as a JW. I shy away from, things, I would consider to be hard edged and militant...Your website...I'm sorry, immediately, turns me off. Since I am already out, no problem. Your "restaurant" does not appeal to me, but I am sure others might be drawn to it.

All the best,

Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit