AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

If this can be the defacto "go to" organisation for media related issues wanting a viewpoint on a WTS story throughout the english speaking world then I think that is a very good thing. Extending that coverage to spanish etc will just add to the punch.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Thanks, Lady Lee. That answered my question.

• Mum
    Mum

It is a good thing for apostates to be organized in some way. The AAWA, IMHO, should be referred to as an association rather than an organization. The word "organization" gives me heartburn.

Thanks, guys, for taking charge and getting something started so that the WT will be forced to answer the hard questions and dig themselves into a hole.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

It's been a long time I haven't posted on jwn. But I find this news just great!

Congrats to the group of 7/8? (and many more to follow) for this initiative and I wish you much success!

Also there is no 'ex/JW" group in my part of the world, so I already filled in the volunteer form to get involved in any way in raising awareness about the harmful effects of the WT.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Excellent job, one and all.

Will check out the web site now.

om

• Open mind
    Open mind

For those who wish to donate anonymously will you set up a PO Box address so that a money order can be sent? I remember when I was a paranoid, still-serving elder having to use a sympathetic co-worker to order Barbara Anderson's CD.

Also, assuming you do get a PO Box, should money orders be made out to AAWA?

Finally, have you considered structuring AAWA, or perhaps a spin-off branch of it, so that donations could be tax deductible?

om

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Open mind, I'll pass those questions on to Richard. He's in charge of legal and accounting. Someone will be in touch.

Cedars

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

My personal impression, for what it's worth, perhaps nothing.

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea and applaud those of you who have put this together ... that being said ... the name turned me off.

When this thread first came out, I saw it but did not read it because the name Anti-Watchtower Activists gave me a bad first impression. I had no idea what it was about, but for a couple of days saw the thread and simply passed on it . Because the thread didn't fade away, I finally decided to read it after noticing it was started by Cedars and discovered what a gem it was.

I have to think that many doubting JW's will have a problem looking at the message because it will be hard to get past the adversarial nature of the name.

• Auntfancy
    Auntfancy

Wonderful news!! I appreciate everything you guys are doing and I hope this will be the beginning of great things in the future! I sent in an application so I hope I did it correctly and it was received. Thank you, everyone of you who work so hard to put this together. I hope we can all make a difference and help those who are enslaved.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks wannabefree. Here are my thoughts on our name.

Our name is "The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists." To some, the word "Anti" makes it sound negative.

However, what do you think of this name...

"The Association of Anti-Racism Activists." Does it sound negative? I certainly hope not.

The only difference is the substituting of one bad thing (Watchtower) for another (Racism). The question is, do you think Watchtower is bad or not? If you think Watchtower is not harmful, then you are not an Anti-Watchtower activist, and our group isn't for you.

If, on the other hand, you believe the Watchtower is harmful, and you want to do something about it, then you are an Anti-Watchtower Activist - and this group is for you. Not everyone will feel that way. We hold no hard feelings to those who want to sit on the fence. There is no "you're either for us or against us" mentality, at least not with me. If you join, you join. If you don't, you don't. We will still be here. If anyone is against AAWA, or they think it is harmful, they can by all means launch an Association of Anti-AAWA Activists!

What I will say is this. A world without activism of any kind would be a depressing place to live. It would be a place full of people and organizations that bully people unopposed. If something is harmful, then sooner or later someone needs to stand up to it. Otherwise, it will continue indefinitely.

It's difficult to fight a war without actually doing any fighting.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit