How many of you followed the WTS direction on education years ago and have been screwed by it?

by Julia Orwell 119 Replies latest jw friends

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

When I was at Bethel a number of guys I worked with had college degrees that they obtained before becoming JW's. They all got the better job assignments at Bethel. A fact that was noticed by more than a few people who passed up college to pioneer, then Bethel. When I left Bethel I started college within weeks. Now have two degrees and partially into a masters degree. I'd like to thank Bethel for giving that real life observation that a college degree really does get you into a better job.......

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I'm sorry to hear about all these sad stories; it seems that many of us are still struggling.

It kinda piszez me off to read people acting like giving up a college education was nothing for them and they have been so successful. The old "I'm so talented I didn't go to college and still make $100,000's a year, plus bonuses, plus retirement, plus investments, health insurance etc., crap touches me and it turns to gold. " If that's your attitude, perhaps you need to be on a convention encouraging the youth to not seek further education. Perhaps you should teach you own children that they won't need an education, just look at yourself. I'll bet you won't, and your making plans to send your kids now to a University near you.

How many actually served in the pioneer service with a dead end cleaning job and a POS for a car, or got sucked into going to Bethel and giving your best productive years to a scam, learning to be obedient cleaning a toilet. Then, when you’re in your 60's are sent home from Bethel so you can retire.....On WHAT? Or who has been injured at Bethel and sent home handicapped for life with no money to fend for yourself, but all you were qualified to do is physical work; well no more your now physically handicapped. Again, no education to fall back on.

Or how about giving up a lucrative job to serve where the need is great, going through all your savings because the end didn't come as expected, had to pay for all the kingdom hall bills out of you own empty pocket because the congregation was so small and poor. Stayed in the assignment until you died because you believe WT Society's "end is imminent" crap, then end up dyeing with nothing, and your wife, children, and family have nothing but bills when you die, and they don't have an education either to fall back on.

Some families were given the opportunity for full scholarships for their kids, where they could live at home and go to school, but thanks to the fanatical ranting and demonizing of education by WT and her cohorts, these kids were forced to Pioneer, and these kids are now in their 50's and 60's and continue to get screwed. Unfortunately, the abuse is beginning again and there will be still more victims.

You can say what you want about "a college education is not needed, Look at me, I'm successful without it" but for most of the population you don't even get an opportunity, interview, consideration for, not squat for an adequate paying job unless you jump through the "tested for fitness" test that college provides. College and University is the world’s way of in measuring that someone is tested for fitness over a period of time and ready for a responsible position. Some have faked this with experience, but business today doesn't want to learn on experience, it's too expensive.

If you don't have an education, you will have only limited success, and that is what this thread is about. The experiences read here are not of all the successful doctors, nurses, engineers, and scientist, etc., but experiences of people that knew they could have done better in life, but because they listened to WT's faulty reasoning and empty promises, they are screwed for life.

How about the thousands of people worldwide that have gone to prison over the societies opinionated stance on alternative service, offered to both plant trees for the Forest Service and live at home or attend a University with no jail time. These young men that went to prison to substantiate their faith, could have went to the University, but NOOOO, WTS wouldn't let them "compromise". Some of them endured rapes and beatings in prison.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society holds a tremendous amount of culpability to its members and former members, that they have manipulated, mislead, lied to, borrowed from and did not pay back, by greatly influencing them in what is their PERSONAL decisions, NOT any of WT's business!

Instead of people making decisions based on a lifetime, WT promotes making short range decisions of a few years out because armageddon is so immenient, and life ends up being a hodgepodge of short sited decisions. WTBTS is a printing corporation that does not pay taxes and does not have to abide by the laws of the land on safety or most other things because they are using volunteer labor, and “are religious”, but they also can ruin young people’s future and force them into slavery for themselves.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JAKEM2012:

I don't blame you for being pissed if somebody brags their lack of college didn't hurt them and they were successful anyway.

For an older person (like myself), the lack of a degree didn't matter much and I did okay. I could have been a h.s. dropout and it might not have mattered. As it was, I got a little community college and technical school. I'll never know how successful I MIGHT have been if I had gotten a degree or even been more ambitious. Maybe everything can't be blamed on the religion in MY case.

The playing field has changed and the rules are different now. Sadly, for younger people nowadays college IS necessary unless they want their resume to end up in the garbage!

• SeventhSojourn
    SeventhSojourn

JakeM2012:

If you don't have an education, you will have only limited success, and that is what this thread is about. The experiences read here are not of all the successful doctors, nurses, engineers, and scientist, etc., but experiences of people that knew they could have done better in life, but because they listened to WT's faulty reasoning and empty promises, they are screwed for life.

Well said. The topic is - "How many of you followed the WTS direction on education years ago and have been screwed by it?"

Some of us that did follow and woke up early or are younger can maybe salvage something, but still at a serious disadvantage. Those of us who woke up late or are older...? It's down right frightening. In one comment here the poster mentioned how they were fortunate to have liberal jw parents that encouraged education and it turned out OK. Then goes on to say to those who did follow WTS and got screwed to stop letting the past keep you from having a future. Kind of missed the whole point of this thread - Ya think?

In many cases it can't be fixed because the damage is done, is permanent, and self perpetuating. Picture those that were slaves to the WTS, threw themselves into it, put their lives and futures aside to live for "Jehovah." Good people. They denied themselves in practically everything. I don't need to give a rundown on that JakeM2012, you covered it quite well in your post. Imagine your 50-60+ years old with no trade, no certifications, limited basic skills, some chronic health issues, not fast enough, not smart enough, close to dirt poor, with no savings, and maybe a halfway decent car.

The best years of your life have passed as far as physical, mental, and earning capacity. As far as the job market is concerned your are a poor investment, you are in you're declining years. That's reality. That's getting screwed to the wall. You might be able to put a band-aid here and there, but your ship has sailed and you know it. That is your inheritance from the WTS. Pissed off? We should be.

SeventhSojourn

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I think I've related my story enough. I really wish I'd pursued this degree back when I was fresh out of high school instead of now. But at least I'm glad that I have the opportunity to do it now.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Yep, but partly recovered.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

'Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers.'

Awake May 22 1969 page 15

From the slave when i was young.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

It kinda piszez me off to read people acting like giving up a college education was nothing for them and they have been so successful. The old "I'm so talented I didn't go to college and still make $100,000's a year, plus bonuses, plus retirement, plus investments, health insurance etc., crap touches me and it turns to gold. " If that's your attitude, perhaps you need to be on a convention encouraging the youth to not seek further education. Perhaps you should teach you own children that they won't need an education, just look at yourself. I'll bet you won't, and your making plans to send your kids now to a University near you.

JakeM2012 I guess that is directed at me. The truth is that I sent all my kids to college and two of them got Masters degrees. They're doing well. If you want to wallow in your situation then that is certainly your privilege but I suspect your embrace of victimhood is as much responsible for your situation as the fact that the Organization made it difficult for you to pursue a college aducation. The sad truth is that I've run into way too many Witnesses and ex Witnesses that pretend they could have been brain surgeons if only the evil Organization had not interfered with their educational plans when the truth is that they struggle to stand behind a counter at a convenience store. I do not apologize for being successful, if you don't like it that's just too bad. Enjoy your wallow.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

ex Witnesses that pretend they could have been brain surgeons if only the evil Organization had not interfered with their educational plans when the truth is that they struggle to stand behind a counter at a convenience store.

We've obviously met at some time

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

I don't know. Are you a brain surgeon or do you say, "Do you want fries with that?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit