How many of you followed the WTS direction on education years ago and have been screwed by it?

by Julia Orwell 119 Replies latest jw friends

• Pink sapphire
    Pink sapphire

I wanted to be a high school geography teacher. As a child of the 80's I was denied that dream by the WT. in fact, that is all it will ever be.

When completing high school I was considered 'exemplary' and during the month of my high school exams I was encouraged by an elder to pioneer as Jehovah would look after my grades. Stupidly I did this and no, I didn't get as many a's as I would have liked, but I still got a good pass. I was told i would be up before the JC if i went to uni (that put the fear of god into me) it was considered so serious by my body of elders at the time. i believe things are not so strict anymore.

Twenty four years later I am in the second year of my degree. It's my final act of rebellion to the Borg!!

this topic is one of the few that really gets me going. I get so angry about how they manipulated my life, my livlihood, my future, my dreams, my ambitions. Why couldn't they have just left me alone.

• tiki
    tiki

omg - haven't read much of the responses, but will just plug in my personal.....was a bright kid....honors society, slated for college......oh no, can't do that.....might have sex or end up believing in evolution. stuck in a miserable situation....frustrated and resentful. tried to pioneer and failed...took courses here and there for the intellectual stimulation, really had nothing to go on..................

much much later....after leaving the org....at a very late date in my personal schematic, enrolled in a degree program. am only a few credits away from the degree and plan to go ahead into a masters program. my brain at last has the stimulation it requires, and my job prospects - while i am in a decent situation, my brain is not being used as it should be.....so..............i truly hate and abhor the negative stance this particular group of people have put on higher education. it is totally unproductive, stupid, and destructive.

end of rant.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Bump, in view of the DC and WT's freshest outburst of anti-education rhetoric.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I followed their counsel on marrying only in the Lord and I got screwed for that financially. and every other way.

• Number 6
    Number 6

I was born in 1970, and my mother was suckered in when I was a baby.. fast forward to 1981 and she marries my asswipe of a stepfather, a real die hard true believer. You get the picture. Our household was 'theocratic'.

So with this background, one Saturday morning in July 1984, we are attending the 'Kingdom Increase' District Convention at Murrayfield, Edinburgh, and that mornings guilt trip is a symposium of talks making all family members feel bad about one thing or another. After the joys of song 164 we had at 11:00 'Youths Do Not Be Deceived' and after a 20 minute ear bashing at 11:20 we got 'Sons who make Jehovahs heart glad' which amongst other things spat vitriol at university education and a career in 'the world'

Well that was it! From that point onward my stepfather went out of his way to obstruct, discourage and just plain stop me going to any kind of further education. Just at the tender age of 14 when I was starting to take exams and consider my future.

Before I knew it i had 'married in the truth' and got bogged down in responsibility of jobs mortgages and children....

It's never too late to start again, but I have a 25 year lag behind my contemporaries.

Thank you Watchtower.

Craig

• cantleave
    cantleave

I would say the only positive thing my mother did for my childhood was to encourage both my brother and I to get a decent education. She never agreed with the society's stance on HE, but at the same time din't want us to go to university because of the bad influences. We both found jobs that enabled us to continue with our education on a part time basis. We are both graduates. Sadly he is still in and an elder and the last time I saw him he didn't seem to be encouraging his kids to go onto to higher ed.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

I guess it helps that I never dreamed too big. A year after high school I took a 7 month trades pre-apprenticeship course, and went into an apprenticeship in a trade that I really enjoy. A few years later, I'm in a position where I am doing exactly what I would like to be doing, for a great company who pays my a GREAT living. At this point I feel fulfilled. I could work for myself, or work for many companies earning good money. This, of course is a product of Canada's trades-driven industry. I wouldn't get paid nearly as much in another country.

Looking back, I would have made a better engineer than what I am doing. I like what I do, but it comes easily which means I will get bored eventually. Had I gone to uni at the time I did my apprenticeship, my 19 year old born-in Dub brain wouldn't have had the clarity of thought or personal motivation to do well. If I have the opportunity to go, I will consider it.

I wasn't screwed by the WT's stance on education. My parents impressed on me the importance of a certification of some kind, and I never planned on being a pioneer or anything. Contrast that with my sister. She and her husband are pioneers. They run a nice little window washing business. University was not an option for her husband because he is a pioneer high school dropout. His honest reasoning was 'why finish? I can work laying floors or whatever and pioneer until the end comes'. Seriously.

Those who REALLY follow the WTs advice and believe what they say, will ALWAYS be screwed. Even those who would be no good with a good education, could still benefit from a business course or trades certification or something. Armageddon ain't coming folks, time to prepare for the rest of your lives.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I was told that goin' to college was like applyin' for a job

that was goin' outta business

The WTS is a master at discouragement for the young

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Yes, I got the royal theocratic shaft from not following my gut feeling with regards to education, and having a father that laid the law down so hard I did not attend college. Yes, he was an elder. I graduated HS in early 1980's.

I was accepted to the universities school of engineering in my home town, a very respected institution worldwide. I had good highschool grades, and took many college preparatory courses in high school, (my parents did not know the difference). The summer before starting university, dad met with me several times, trying to reason, and I always came off feeling I had won the "reasoning". He would bring up armageddon being so close and I would bring up the false hopes of 1975 for which he believed, it was information that was fresh at the time. He photocopied all those famous quotes out of WT bound volumes of not growing old in this system, and not even having the time to complete a four year degree.

When he realized he wasn't making progress with me he sent my older brother who was the star of the family as the 29 year old PO to further the harassment. The older fleshly brother did not convince me either and I felt I had won that arguement.

Dad tried to get me satisified with working for him, and I told him that I didn't want to spend my life driving nails, I wanted to do something with my mind. I asked what was wrong with structural engineering, it was not philosophy. He would bring up the threat of drugs, alcohol, and women at the university. Anyway, Dad threatened me beyond what I ever thought and I acquiested. I fell into a depression.

The family business that Dad wanted me to support, I told him explicitly in 1979 that there is no future in a small family business in constrution, especially ours as the boys all fought and hated each other and their wives. Little did I know I was a prophet. We did well through the 1990's but who didn't, but come 2000 and by 911 the wheels just came off. The remaining fleshly brothers all pulled in different directions and argued. (Both had years of bethel service) Everything was sold and we fleshly brothers went our separate ways. One is in bethel, and the other is a momma's boy, living in her house. I wonder if the brother that went back to bethel (divorced) is expected to get out of bed on rainy days and go to work, or expects to be paid and not show up for weeks at a time but call the bookkeeper to write him a check for 40 hours?

In 2008 I joined a local union and started a four year program with the University of Phoenix, the only thing I could do having to work and provide for my family. Thank goodness for the internet and online courses. I am taking my last course and I lack 2 weeks from finishing a four year degree.

My wife recently graduated the nursing program and is being interviewed. She mentioned that if I wanted to go back and get the engineering degree, she would support me, like I supported her in nursing.

We have also broken the abusive controlling nature of WTS and the kids WILL get an education and that is not optional. Fortuneately, I still have some time before retirement.

My grand question is: "What business is it of a "congregation" or of the WTBTS. They should mind their own business, and any elder or witness that shuns or mistreats someone that is attending college should be ashamed of themselves. What a hateful group of people.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

My grand question is: "What business is it of a "congregation" or of the WTBTS. They should mind their own business, and any elder or witness that shuns or mistreats someone that is attending college should be ashamed of themselves. What a hateful group of people.

This^

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit