How many of you followed the WTS direction on education years ago and have been screwed by it?

by Julia Orwell 119 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I finally got my 4 year degree at age 37. I'm now working on my Masters degree which you really need in education. I just can't compete without it. I'm woefully underemployed right now.

But, I was out at age 19. The real issue is that the Organization really screwed with my head and my mental health. I had a nervous breakdown at age 18 when I was disfellowshipped and didn't get help for it until a year later when I walked away after being reinstated. I started college part time and worked part time after I was married and that was all I could handle. I finished my associates degree,

Then I got pregnant. I had a beautiful baby and promptly sunk into a horrendous postpartum depression that lasted 3 and a half years. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, postpartum onset. I went back to school part time again and finished my four year degree when my son was 7.

The problem now is that I just don't have any resilience. I have done long term sub positions and they absolutely wipe me out. I need the whole weekend to recover. I now work part time as a tutor and am working on my Masters degree, but I am just exhausted. My son is in middle school and I still have to come home from work and do homework with him. He has ADHD and needs a lot of support. I'm just exhausted and I'm not even "there" yet.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

hi G.T., you are carrying the load of ten people! It would be suspicious if you were NOT exhausted, like maybe i would think you might be an E.T. or something from another galaxy!

i don't know if it would help at all, but if you haven't tried multi vitamins and minerals supplementation before, give them a try.

You are a hero. Love to you!

Marina

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thanks, Marina.

Yes, I've actually found magnesium, calcium, and vitamin D to be helpful. I take them separately in larger amounts than an all in one supplement. I tend to test deficient in vitamin D. I also take fish oil for high cholesterol and it seems to help with my mood a little.

The other issue is this perimenopause thing that has just started recently in which I'm having terrible trouble sleeping a week or so every month. And also night sweats. Ugh.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hi great teacher, I can certainly relate in that the jw religion has permanently wrecked my mental health and impaired my ability to be a teacher. Still, you have your degree and whatever you do in the future, you can always fall back on that profession. I now work a minimum wage job (which I love) at a theme park and will do the odd day here and there as a relief teacher for a bit of extra cash and the academic rigour of engaging with students and curriculum. So even though I got my degree as a jw (one of the rare ones cuz my parents weren't jws) they still managed to screw up my career.

• PaulaCaptiva
    PaulaCaptiva

We are getting close to Social Security time and I am supporting the family because my elder husbands construction business went under in 2008. Believe me I strongly support my son getting an education!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

That's great!! We have a huge push to get kids educated here in Australia, to the point where they leave school with a business certificate or half an apprenticeship if they aren't going to uni. I bet the JWs hate all the emphasis our schools put on preparing the kids for the workforce.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yes!

I now get by using my charm!!

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

This, to me, (barring suicides and family disorders) is one of the saddest threads.

The absolute destruction of someone's life to pioneer for x number of years is irreprehensible.

It is vile to the n'th degree.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

It is reprehensible. Even when I was a Jw I was sickened by their education bashing. I would tell the kids to get educated and then pioneer if they wanted to. As I would tell the kids: pioneering doesn't pay the bills.

• Blackbird Fly
    Blackbird Fly

I had so much potential. ..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit